The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
July Metric ton sorted.
Unfortunately, I had to pop into work on my day off to collect summat from the Amazo locker, so I thought I'd carry on round a bigger loop, then meet up with a couple of friends, ride together for 20 miles, then stop for coffee & cake at Workbridge café.

_20190710_144330.JPG

Back home by lunchtime.

:smile:

July done.

Took part in the 2019 L’Etape du Tour from Albertville to Val Thorens. This was singlehandedly the toughest, most brutal ride I have ever been stupid enough to attempt!

15,000ft of climbing, max altitude 2,300m at Val Thorens, but even these horrifying data snippets were no match for the intense heat at the bottom of this final 21 mile climb! Maximum temperature was 41.4 degrees Celsius and there was very little shade. Well over 20 litres of water was drunk and yet somehow this did not seem enough. It was an amazing challenge and an amazing experience but I will not be repeating it anytime soon!

A little perspective here- it took me roughly 4 1/4 hours just to do the last climb, the overall winner did the lot in 4 3/4!!

https://strava.app.link/vQP7scfywY

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have just realised that I have not done my official metric century this month. I thought I had done one right at the start of July, but it was actually at the end of June. I could nominate one of my 3 imperial centuries but I want to try and do a separate metric century. If I can pick a day that isn't too hot later in the week, then I'll go for it.

July done.

Took part in the 2019 L’Etape du Tour from Albertville to Val Thorens. This was singlehandedly the toughest, most brutal ride I have ever been stupid enough to attempt!

15,000ft of climbing, max altitude 2,300m at Val Thorens, but even these horrifying data snippets were no match for the intense heat at the bottom of this final 21 mile climb! Maximum temperature was 41.4 degrees Celsius and there was very little shade. Well over 20 litres of water was drunk and yet somehow this did not seem enough. It was an amazing challenge and an amazing experience but I will not be repeating it anytime soon!

A little perspective here- it took me roughly 4 1/4 hours just to do the last climb, the overall winner did the lot in 4 3/4!!

https://strava.app.link/vQP7scfywY
A HUGE 'chapeau!' to you with a GINORMOUS 'rather you than me'! :laugh:

I wouldn't cope with the amount of climbing, I probably wouldn't cope with the altitude, and I definitely wouldn't cope with that temperature! :eek:

Last edited:
I have just realised that I have not done my official metric century this month. I thought I had done one right at the start of July, but it was actually at the end of June. I could nominate one of my 3 imperial centuries but I want to try and do a separate metric century. If I can pick a day that isn't too hot later in the week, then I'll go for it.

A HUGE 'chapeau!' to you with a GINORMOUS 'rather you than me'! :laugh:

I wouldn't cope with the amount of climbing, I probably wouldn't cope with the altitude, and I definitely wouldn't cope with that temperature! :eek:

@ColinJ I’ll be honest- there were numerous times in that last climb I thought about jacking- and I came very very close to doing so- but when I managed to reach the last feed stop ahead of the cut off I convinced myself (foolishly) to carry on! The first two climbs tough as they were I managed to do in a one-er but come the last one I had to keep stopping because of the heat and the onset of cramp. 33km at 5.5% average was the last climb- I don’t ever recall seeing that gradient!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I had intended to do a separate metric century today but I didn't sleep well last night. In fact, it was almost dawn when I finally got to sleep so I didn't feel like making an early start, and if I set out now it will be dark before I get home (unless I choose a very boring and busy flat route).

The forecast for the last couple of days of this month is looking grim so I won't be doing a metric ton on Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll 'recycle' one of this month's 3 Lunatic Challenge rides instead, and go out for a relaxed shorter ride this evening!

August done.

Met up with @13 rider and @Supersuperleeds for a long overdue ride together as we headed west into the Derbyshire Dales for a spot of VV tile grabbing then back east via Derby and Kegworth and across Leicestershire towards the familiar haunt of nice pie cafe on the edge of the vale of Belvoir. A well planned route with ideal weather and a leisurely pace made for a superb ride indeed. Most of the climbing was done in the early stages of the ride (with exception to the last eight miles) and it was largely pan flat after that. It was the first imperial ton I’d done since Easter (ironically with the same company!) and a great start to the month after a tough July.

https://strava.app.link/dWvaJ0I3QY

gbs

Guru
Yesterday, I too did a little Surrey and Kent. I did not plan the route v well and cycled some distance on singe lane A roads and the lunch stop at Headcorn Aerodrome was welcome even though the food was way below par.

@ DTs have you found agreeable routes and feeding stops in W Kent?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Yesterday, I too did a little Surrey and Kent. I did not plan the route v well and cycled some distance on singe lane A roads and the lunch stop at Headcorn Aerodrome was welcome even though the food was way below par.

Well, depends what you mean by West Kent, but I ride happily all over it. My ride on Saturday was around the Edenbridge/Penshurst area, right on the boundary with Surrey. I do sometimes ride out to the flat Marden/Yalding/Headcorn area of the Low Weald too, and the hilly bits of East Sussex (Ashdown Forest).

I find routes just by picking out the yellow roads on the OS map and stringing them together. As for feeding stops, I generally carry my own food so my stops tend to be shops where I pick up a drink and maybe a packet of crisps or nuts. But I do recommend the Ide Hill Cafe near Sevenoaks. And there's a pub caled the George in Yalding where I sometimes stop for a hot meal in winter.

Met up with some Zwift group friends for a real ride around the Cotswolds, several weeks in the planning. Some I already met and knew, some were new faces. One guy came over from Norway to take part which made it all the better.

Arriving in Highworth a little after 0800, it absolutely chucked it down and my heart sank for a fleeting moment! But this rain quickly disappeared and once we’d all met up and done introductions we were on our way.

The beautifully clean bike was caked again within the first 2 miles due to the wet conditions but it didn’t really matter because the ride itself which took us round one of the most beautiful parts of the country took the sting out of it. As you would expect being in the Cotswolds, the scenery was just picture postcard perfect everywhere you looked and once the weather improved to bright sunshine (but windy) this made photos even better!

Had a cake stop at Bourton-on-the-Water which was heaving with tourists to the point where I thought there might have been an event on, but it was sheer weight of visitors!

From there we had a longish slog uphill out of the town but then flattened off significantly and remained so for the rest of the ride. This didn’t necessarily make riding easier as there were quite strong winds to contend with.

Before long we arrived at one of the group’s houses where his wife had laid on some homemade cakes, teas and coffees which were to die for!

It was here where the ride ended for some and so we said our goodbyes and rode the last four miles back to where we were parked.

In summary then it was 63.1 miles to the good in a beautiful setting and with fantastic company.

*Will copy to “your ride today” thread*

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Next time you are in Headcorn, though the Aerodrome is ok for watching planes and cheap, not great eats. Stay in the village and pop in to No.17 The Delicatessen. Lovely quaint place with a lovely owner & lovely home made food. Or just around the corner is The White Horse pub. Really good food.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Met up with some Zwift group friends for a real ride around the Cotswolds, several weeks in the planning. Some I already met and knew, some were new faces. One guy came over from Norway to take part which made it all the better.
er weight of visitors!
That's great!

I have had several friends and family members express the view that it is "a bit sad" that I spend so much time on the forum. I ask them if they have met hundreds of different people over the last 10 years and spent many happy hours exploring the fantastic British countryside with them? One thought I was exaggerating so I offered to go through my forum ride posts with them. After 10 threads they surrendered and grudgingly accepted that the forum is much more than just online chatting! :okay:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Struggled round the August 100 today. Too late in the month for me and far too much other stuff going on so had to squeeze in this morning. No route planned which was a bad idea, so just ambled around locally trying to make the miles. Got home with 62.58 miles done, hopefully September will be better.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I was wondering if was going to get my metric ton done this month. Family stuff has been quite hectic (in a nice way), but I got up earlyish this morning and was out by 07.30.

_20190825_141447.JPG

It's a route I've done a few times but still enjoy it, especially on a Sunday morning before the roads fill up!

https://strava.app.link/YcjptwhqrZ

Hopefully, I will get my September ride done a bit earlier in the month.

:smile:

Top Bottom