The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@cosmicbike that's a shame but it's only an internet challenge .Take care of your health
Indeed... Better luck next year!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I didn't get to sleep until 04:30 today so I didn't fancy getting up early enough to do my September metric century in daylight! I have 'recycled' another of my Lunacy challenge rides for my September entry in this challenge.

I only have one more Lunatic ride to do this year so even if I recycle that one, I will end up having done 8/12 of my monthly metric centuries separately. I will try to get nearer to 12/12 next year.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Question... I will be on CC until at least 17:40. Can anyone see that indicated on my avatar? (I have switched off the indication but am still seeing the little white figure in a green circle. It seems odd to indicate to myself that I am online so it may be that you can see it too. RSVP!)

Well that's me out for 2019:sad: No danger of it happening today, I managed to get within 60 miles of target by going to the high street and back, 2.7 miles.
Roll on 2020.
Oh dear, hopefully see you next year.

Had a great weekend’s riding up to Yorkshire to watch the UCI Worlds with @13 rider, @Supersuperleeds and @tallliman. 129 miles from Leicester to York on the Friday in awful conditions, 65 miles on Saturday to watch the ladies race. It was far too wet to venture back over to Harrogate for the men’s on Sunday so we snuck out for a cheeky hour in the morning before the rain hit us and watched the race from the digs! 83 miles back from York to Lincoln today where we caught the train home. Finished off with a 15 miler back from the station to cap off a superb weekend. 309.29 miles since Friday.

gbs

Guru
I have just posted re Saturday's 100k thriller to the Ditchling Beacon etc. That is my last ride for this month and a November posting is unlikely given the rehab period post cataract surgery - second round next week.

Good luck to the remainers.

PS: no sympathy messages please. I am lucky to be on a bike at my age.

I have just posted re Saturday's 100k thriller to the Ditchling Beacon etc. That is my last ride for this month and a November posting is unlikely given the rehab period post cataract surgery - second round next week.

Good luck to the remainers.

PS: no sympathy messages please. I am lucky to be on a bike at my age.
Well done on your efforts this far.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Well that's me out for 2019:sad: No danger of it happening today, I managed to get within 60 miles of target by going to the high street and back, 2.7 miles.
Roll on 2020.
Sorry to hear that @cosmicbike . Always sad to see people drop out so close to the end. Weren't you also doing the other two challenges, or did I just make that up? Hope you'll be taking part again next year and you recover fully in the meantime. All the best.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Sorry to hear that @cosmicbike . Always sad to see people drop out so close to the end. Weren't you also doing the other two challenges, or did I just make that up? Hope you'll be taking part again next year and you recover fully in the meantime. All the best.
Thanks @Donger Not too pleased at dropping out, but I had to look at my health first, and as I say to everyone else, it's only an internet challenge! I did the triple last year which was tough, and started the same this year but dropped the imperial challenge in February. I'm still in the half century and the ride every day so not all bad, and I'll gear up for 2020:smile:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
October's done and there were more s**t for brains drivers than on a commute, both numerically and proportionately, which is going some, given that my daily mileage on a commute is 34 miles. :sad:

On the bright side, I came across this chap:
mTMttLp.jpg

https%3A//i.imgur.com/jBBEUz7.png[/img]'] jBBEUz7.png

He had some strength in his shoulders because he was travelling around 12 - 14 mph on the flat. However his speed and cause* was clearly insufficient for some motorists, judging from some of the stupid driving seen after they passed him.
* I don't know what it was. There were no obvious signs on the car, but collection buckets dangling from the car's mirrors and a quick internet search hasn't come up with anything.

October done.

Three friends and I took advantage of a break in the recent unsettled weather for a self-proclaimed “Saga CC” ride down to the Cotswolds, specifically to the picturesque village of Bourton-on-the-Water.

We initially planned to do this back in August but for various reasons we couldn’t make it happen and so yesterday was the next mutually convenient date.

Met up with the lads just before 8am on a dry but cool morning, setting off in a SW direction through local lanes towards Atherstone, a place I’ve ridden a few times before. However the way out of Atherstone was a new one to me and involved quite a long upward drag which definitely got the ol’ ticker pumping a little bit!
Once on the south side of the A5 it changed from flat to a lot more rolling terrain and this was to remain pretty much so throughout the entirety of the ride.
Arriving at our first stop in Meriden, we were 20 minutes early and utilised the waiting time by trying to solve the conundrum of why there was a bulge in Tim’s tyre. It was concluded there was evidence of perishing, probably having done a few thousand miles on them. He decided to continue, albeit with a little more caution with a view to finding somewhere to get a new one.

Before long the cafe opened and I ordered a light breakfast of scrambled egg on sourdough toast. The sorriest egg on toast I’d ever seen at that and a snip at “just” £6!

Eager to get going again we set off through the Warwickshire countryside, still largely SW and into a headwind, another constant through the route!
The roads still rolling, some still a little wet, 30 more miles in, edge of the Cotswolds reached, lunch stop at Chipping Campden in our sights before long we hit our first steep climb of the day. Looking on strava it was called Larkstoke Hill. 1.25 miles, average of 7%, maxed out around 16% in places, this was a tough climb due to the road conditions which were wet and muddy.
My back in bits from the spinning, every time I got out the saddle I lost traction and so had to sit back down and slog it out.
Climb eventually defeated in a little over 10 minutes, it was down the other side and into the beautiful picturesque town of Chipping Campden, the site of our lunch stop.

After a painfully long wait for three toasties and a sandwich, we set off for the next 16 mile phase to our target destination of Bourton-on-the Water.
Climbing from the outset, and quite steep as we approached a junction on the outskirts of town, it began to ease off into a more gently rolling terrain. The combination of Tim being mindful of his tyre and general fatigue was taking its toll on him and he kept dropping behind. We all agreed to push on and Tim insisted he would be ok for the last few miles into Bourton so if we dropped him again he would be ok.
That happened quite quickly, and midway down a hill we observed our computers telling us to make a right turn, only there was none to be seen. We carried straight on and after a two mile detour got to a small village where we could begin to see the route emerge again.
Taking 10 minutes to wait for Tim, he never showed and so we did the last couple of miles into an agreed meeting point (a pub) in Bourton itself.
And on arrival, we noticed a familiar looking bike and a familiar looking bloke sat waiting, impatiently tapping his watch.......

Yes it was Tim!

The right turn we couldn’t find earlier, he did find, and he was then able to steal a march on us!

The tortoise had beaten the hares!!

Ah well, all was quickly forgiven as we had a couple of well earned beers and snacks, and before long it was time to head west over to Cheltenham, to catch our train home.

104 miles to the good, and around 5,800 ft of upness.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
October done. 104k out and back over the North Downs to Edenbridge. Easy options taken coming back - (For locals: Ide Hill rather than Toys, and Clarks lane rather than Hogtrough)

Due to a busy day on Saturday I had to be on the road by 6:30. Managed to do it within schedule. Felt like I was making good time, and getting up the hills in good order. Stats proved that I was in fact just as slow, or a bit slower than usual. But at least it felt fast.

Top Bottom