The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Been on a mini tour, only planned last week when I realised how good the weather forecast was, a little too good for cycling to be truthful! Carried our tent and did a loop south from Bristol starting Friday evening up West Harptree at Sunset. Camped on top of the Mendips. Then did about 97km on Saturday east to Salisbury Plain (yes I know, were going to friends and extremely hot. Counted as my separate 50) Sunday was north to Cirencester (inc a stop at Membury Services on M4 as it was possible there was no more water/shops for a very long way, turned out Lambourn did have a cafe so a little annoying we had broken the bubble) just under a 100km but I was allowed to add on the 7km return trip to Cirencester for curry to bag my separate 100 this month. Yesterday we returned west to Minchinhampton/.Nailsworth to visit friends where we used to live and back down via some vicious lumps to Berkeley and Bristol, 88km so another for 50 challenge. We were very pleased with our route. Each day ended up with some gravel/off piste but all ok.

Finally done a route I planned in a moment of profound foolishness several months ago. it both ticks off all the notable roads in the North Pennines AONB which I've not done before and does the passes I've only done one way in the opposite direction to complete the set. The end result was rather tiring, to understate it considerably. Lovely weather though; proper summery, right up to the point, at the top of the 14th and final climb, where it was a proper, summer thunderstorm with water pressure you'd be genuinely pleased with from a power shower - warm water too. Excitingly - meaning pretty scarily in fact - at least three lightning strikes were within 300m of me as I tried to balance reducing my exposure to huge electrical discharges as quickly as possible with not crashing on the single track watercourse the road down had become.

Despite the last fifteen minutes, a great metric century and I commend it to @ColinJ , or indeed anyone else if you ever want something alarmingly lumpy and can get to the North Pennines AONB! It has the very definite advantage that, depending on where you start, there are numerous points to shorten it, knocking out anything from 1-8 climbs, and every road involved is both marvellously scenic and almost entirely traffic-free. If only I'd been able to finish half an hour earlier though.
Capture.JPG

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Finally done a route I planned in a moment of profound foolishness several months ago. it both ticks off all the notable roads in the North Pennines AONB which I've not done before and does the passes I've only done one way in the opposite direction to complete the set. The end result was rather tiring, to understate it considerably. Lovely weather though; proper summery, right up to the point, at the top of the 14th and final climb, where it was a proper, summer thunderstorm with water pressure you'd be genuinely pleased with from a power shower - warm water too. Excitingly - meaning pretty scarily in fact - at least three lightning strikes were within 300m of me as I tried to balance reducing my exposure to huge electrical discharges as quickly as possible with not crashing on the single track watercourse the road down had become.

Despite the last fifteen minutes, a great metric century and I commend it to @ColinJ , or indeed anyone else if you ever want something alarmingly lumpy and can get to the North Pennines AONB! It has the very definite advantage that, depending on where you start, there are numerous points to shorten it, knocking out anything from 1-8 climbs, and every road involved is both marvellously scenic and almost entirely traffic-free. If only I'd been able to finish half an hour earlier though.
View attachment 482198
Sounds great, apart from that thunderstorm! :eek:

I once got caught in a freak summer deluge and the water temperature was the polar opposite of that of a power shower - North or South Polar! In 10 seconds I went from dripping sweat to shivering so violently that I could no longer ride my bike. The rain only lasted a minute or two, then the black clouds rolled away and within minutes I was too hot again!

You can't tease us with talk of this route without posting a GPX file detailing it. Having said that, if you found it very tough then I definitely am not fit enough for it at the moment. I'll try to get back to a decent level of fitness next year. Mind you, I keep saying that but never get round to it!

I once got caught in a freak summer deluge and the water temperature was the polar opposite of that of a power shower.......

You can't tease us with talk of this route without posting a GPX file detailing it.

GPX attached, though if you follow the Strava link on the ride posting thread it's there.

I didn't say the water was truly hot enough for a shower, but it really wasn't actively cold. Your briefer shower sounds much worse in that respect. At the time that was a minor consideration though: that twelve minute descent seemed to last a very long time!

Attachments

• Hyper lumpy Pennine passes.gpx
    55.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

As soon as I posted that, I realised that you would probably have given more details in the ride thread!

I have never been up there. The only part of the route I have looked at in the past is Teesdale. I had thought about catching a train to Appleby and doing a loop taking in Great Dun Fell, Hartside and Yad Moss.

Maybe one day I will do a decent North Pennine ride, though it would probably have to be sooner rather than later ... I'm not getting any younger!

September Done.

Set off up to Lincoln today to chalk off another uk top 100 climb - Michaelgate. Not quite sure how this made the list as it’s not that difficult but it’s done all the same. Stopped at the top to be greeted by a woman giving out “free hugs.” Never one to pass up a free hug, I did the deed then had a bite to eat.

Set back off working my way slowly through the busy city centre and upset a few characters on the way out as I “should’ve been on the path” however said path crossed over multiple driveways and I felt it safer to remain on the road.

The wind had started to pick up and was pretty much head on all the way back, which made the pan flat route to Newark and Bingham all the more difficult.

Having not done much outdoors in four weeks and conscious of the distance (and the long slog uphill near home) I deliberately took my time and sought to save energy where I could. This paid off as I was able to make it home in one piece-albeit only just!

I say that because about five miles from home I had a slight disagreement with a kerb, and on this occasion the kerb won. Pride wounded, bike unharmed and my arm a little grazed I did the long slog back home, largely uphill.

A brilliant ride today in lovely weather and eventful to boot as I did my first ever 200km, as well as chalking off another top 100 climb.

129 miles (207.67km) in 8:20.
https://strava.app.link/LDKOPkUYYZ
C7C141B9-2F56-44F5-B94C-62EFA99FE4DC.jpeg

D04D0EC8-E109-4065-8583-3FCB2C9A904D.jpeg
8D7391CD-3144-499D-9BA6-85528B1C0CE0.jpeg
013EB88F-EB40-46C3-8DA7-7C12761BFC86.jpeg
C6029D46-13B3-4963-BF96-CA83B337ADAC.jpeg
BBCE58FC-E147-487F-A184-526FE999C4CC.jpeg
6636B667-58A5-41E3-A612-A4BF54DD9531.jpeg

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
September done. A bit of a damp slog around Kent, including my favourite ... Birling hill. Fine rain but warm enough not to bother with a waterproof.

I got a puncture, which is pretty rare for me. One of the good things about Durano Plus, aside from their puncture resistance, is that if you do puncture then it's really easy to locate the culprit because it takes something very big and mean (like today's lump of glass) to get through.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

One of the good things about Durano Plus, aside from their puncture resistance, is that if you do puncture then it's really easy to locate the culprit because it takes something very big and mean (like today's lump of glass) to get through.
As opposed to my worn rear Lithion 2 which got penetrated yesterday by a thorn. All that got through was the smallest piece of thorn still big enough to be recognised as coming from a thorn. It took some finding!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterday was my last chance to pop out for my Metric Ton for September. A bit of a knee niggle has kept me off the bike for a while, but I needed to keep the other muscles in prime condition ( 😇), so I took a steady pedal to Milton Keynes to have a medical for my HGV licence.
T'was a tad breezy, but not too bad.

https://strava.app.link/15uFtdyMn0

:smile:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Well I did 19 miles this morning, the longest ride for me in 2 weeks. Issues with mojo and the legs playing up something rotten have gotten in the way. I'm going to have a go in the morning and see how things feel.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Well that's me out for 2019:sad: No danger of it happening today, I managed to get within 60 miles of target by going to the high street and back, 2.7 miles.
Roll on 2020.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Well that's me out for 2019:sad: No danger of it happening today, I managed to get within 60 miles of target by going to the high street and back, 2.7 miles.
Roll on 2020.
:sad:

That's too bad, but it's supposed to be fun, and if you're not feeling up to it then it becomes a chore and a burden ... so look on the bright side you can start having fun now!

Top Bottom