The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had a heavy cold, which was bad enough to keep me off the bike for several weeks. Only 3 days left now to get this month's metric century in...
And... the bloody cold defeated me - I'm out for this year! :sad:

November Done.

Talk about right to the wire!

This was literally the only opportunity this month I had to fulfil the challenge obligations and it was 50/50 whether or not I’d drop out. Looking out of the window at an extremely cold landscape and negative temperatures I had to muster every bit of motivation I could to haul myself out of the house!
Met up with some of my Saga CC compadres a little after 8am for our little pre-planned trip down to Lichfield. It was 2 below on arrival and didn’t really get much warmer as the ride started and progressed, reaching as low as -4 in more remote areas.
I was in full winter garb, including cling film round the tootsies and latex gloves under my winter gloves, for a little added protection!
This paid off, at least for a short while, when one of the crew heard that all too familiar “ssssssssssssss”........

Yep. First flat of the ride less than eight miles in. Turns out it was the valve itself that had unscrewed. As none of us had the tool to tighten it back in, we pleaded with Rob to just put a new tube in with a view to repairing the dodgy one at home.

Nope.

He insisted on fixing it there and then and each time he pumped it up and took the pump off- “sssssssssssss”

After about half an hour of faffing about with it, he relented and I gave him on of my spare tubes. Of course, the lack of movement in such conditions made starting off again a massive chore, as my digits were now borderline numb!

Several thoughts entered my head at this stage:
Do I make my excuses and go back to the car?
What the f- am I doing here?
Should I have just laid in bed?
Do I get to Lichfield and grab a train home?

Decisions, decisions......

I (foolishly) opted to just bat on and get to Lichfield, eventually warming up a tad, though not entirely, but enough to be able to cope with the frosty, slushy roads, freezing fog and poor visibility.

Arriving in Lichfield, two-and-a-half hours after starting and having only covered 28 miles, literally and ironically outside of a bike shop, Will got the all too familiar “sssssssss” treatment too.....

FFS!!!

We pulled in at a cafe some one hundred yards up, Will desperately trying (in vain) to fix his puncture while the rest of us thawed out. He soon came inside, defeated and despondent, too cold to attempt said repair. We talked him into taking his bike to the shop outside which he developed his puncture so that it could be fixed while we defrosted somewhat.

The cafe was nice- busy and a tad expensive but no complaints about the quality of the food which, for me, was a bacon butty with three rashers of thickly cut, “locally sourced bacon” washed down with a latte and followed by a cream tea. Ok wasn’t of Cornish standards but I was in no mood to quibble about the technical aspects of the dish!

An hour later, defrosted and ready to crack on, we fetched Wills bike from the shop- all fixed and with TWO new tubes- and pressed on with getting back to Willington.

It was no warmer despite it being midday and I just resigned myself to the fact that it was going to be another cold slog back to the warmth of my waiting car in Willington.

This half of the journey passed without incident, making our way through largely familiar villages and lanes, being mindful of the potential ice rink beneath our wheels!

As we crossed back over into Derbyshire, a bright yellow anomaly began to emerge from the sky which had a profound effect on our core temperatures. This anomaly I later found out was called “the sun,” apparently it appears in many parts of the world, sometimes for many hours a day, and on occasion it has graced these shores, though it is rare......

Enjoying the warming effects of this bright yellow sky ball, and conscious that following the pre-planned route would not deliver the miles I needed, I decided to split from the rest of the group so I could follow an alternative route to get the job done. I was also able to nab a couple of pesky veloviewer squares in the process, which were evasive for many weeks due to the roads being largely underwater. Today they weren’t, and the squares were got. However the “anomaly” had been replaced yet again by freezing fog and the old core temperature (and digits) began to plummet again........

On completion of these squares, I needed just 7 miles to complete the challenge and so I had to think quick to provide an alternative to what would have been maybe five miles back to the car. I was able to do this, and arriving back in Willington I was at 62 miles dead, so to get over the line I had to quickly circle the co-op car park to squeeze out what I needed to get it done.

Back at the car, 62.3 miles to the good and very chilly I was able to thaw out as I made the half hour journey home, pleased that I grabbed the point I needed by the skin of my teeth.

62.34 in a ride time of 3:50, but out for much longer than that!!
https://strava.app.link/DumgjFyE21
1575131933977.png

I get the impression that @Sea of vapours must be trying to get his (km) Eddington number up from 109 to 112. Bon chance.
Correct. Well, I'm aiming for 111, or eleventy one, but a bit of overshoot won't hurt. Naturally, having achieved it, the next one will be irritatingly far off, but I can't think of any especially good numbers beyond 111 so at the moment I'm happy to leave that regret for later.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Bad luck. Look after yourself.
Thanks. I was thinking that I must have blown an opportunity to do the ride some time earlier in the month but I checked back and found...

1st to 3rd: Busy with family.
4th and 5th: Weather bad.
6th: Came down with my cold.
7th to 19th: Snot monster!
20th: Starting to feel slightly better (sunny day).
21st: Chilly, windy day.
22nd to 24th: Another family visit.
25th to 28th: Weather bad.
29th: Very cold day. Did 50 kms. Felt rough afterwards.
30th: A miserable cold murky day. Still feeling rough.

Looking at that makes me better. The only day I had completely free when the weather was okay was the 20th and I was still getting over my cold so 100 kms would not have been a good idea. I didn't feel up to it on the 29th or 30th.

So, short of ignoring my family during one of their visits I didn't really have an obvious day to do the ride. Any other day a ride would have been done in poor weather and/or me in a poor physical condition.

Never mind. If I get my 161 km Lunacy Challenge ride done early enough in December I will try to get a compensatory 100 km ride done in December. It won't count for this challenge but at least it would show that I wasn't slacking!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
December done. Year done. Over and out.

Im not going to be doing the Metric century a month next year. I'm just going to do the imperial one. And fall back to the metric if it all goes wrong.

I've done this for 5 years now. And the past four years (well 3 and 11/12 so far) I've done in parallel with the imperial challenge, and fitting in the two rides each month has become a bit of a drag. I'm hoping to be able to fit in a few more shorter rides. Have a bit of fun.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Well today's ride was not what was planned.
For personal and cycling reasons, I have had more than a passing interest in Planet Rock's Wyatt Van Wendell's effort to cycle 2000 miles in two weeks for Mind. Details can be found Here.
Riders were welcome to join him on his journey, so when I saw part of the route passed not too far from my house on the 1st of December, as Wyatt cycled from Blackpool to Birmingham, moons seemed to have aligned. Get an MCAM ride in and try to give some support to the rider. So the plan was ride north about 30 miles, intercept Wyatt, then ride with him 30+ miles before returning home. I had been tracking him everyday except for the last couple of days, so as he seemed to be hitting his targets everything seemed set.
The tracker didn't pick him up when I left the house at 7am, so I carried on with my plan. Between Standish and Chorley I checked the tracker, which this time picked Wyatt up in the Scottish Borders. Bugger! Something had obviously gone wrong with his riding in the last couple of days. :sad:
So rather than retracing my route I went "freestyling", which with hindsight, part of the route would have been better having thought twice about. I saw a sign for Rivington and having last ridden up there some years ago, headed there. A nice climb except for the last 10 metres or so of the final incline, when I had to dismount because the M+ tyres were giving erratic grip. Then the descent into Belmont was buttock clenching in places as the road was still covered in frost and water from recent rain had in places, created little frozen rivulets across the road.
Other than the last few miles, any stopping meant the chill quickly began to bite and the hand and feet warmers just about staved off the worst of the cold.
But that's me over the line for this challenge for this year.^_^

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

And done. A pretty poor year for mileage (actually a terrible one) as illness and a new job took their toll. Still, once again, the challenge kept me going when otherwise I might have strayed. Now I just need to train like a demon to be ready for the Christmas attempts up Mt.Teide!
Well done!

A mate used to live on Tenerife and rode up and down Teide many times. He said even in summer riders used to get caught out by the windchill on the descent so remember to take a decent windtop and armwarmers!

He told me that he got caught out by a drainage channel somewhere on the way down and double-punctured, so make a mental note of any hazards on the way up and watch out coming back.

Have fun!

gbs

Guru
After a fall and slide on the ice on the N Downs in Kent on Wednesday I heeded the lesson and kept to lower ground today around Ranmore Common and the relatively flat lands to the N - only 660 m climb in 102 k. That completes my set of Cs for the year

I am amazed by Chris Doyle's November exploit. A full 100k in subzero conditions with no crashes. Are you lucky or gifted?

Last edited:
Top Bottom