The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Bloody hell, what is up with those people! I'm glad that you kept hold of the dogs.

I just saw a report on the news about the current spate of dog thefts. I didn't realise that it is currently considered just a property theft. A police spokesperson said that he understood how owners felt about that and he thought that the law should change to take into account how serious an issue it is to most victims.
I was worried about getting in to bother for ‘self defence’. I hit one in the face with the poo. The other was, in very quick succession, Stamp on instep, kick in shins as hard as poss, knee in privates and, as he bent over, elbow to face then run like hell.
My gentle sighthounds were less than gentle. The saluki is scared of his own shadow so will snap at anything in reach, the greyhound x whippet was bent on protecting his mum. I would have been in tatters If anything had happened to my beloved dogs. I was beyond jittery walking last night, better tonight though. It was only just dark so felt safer.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I know it must have been a terrifying experience for you, but well done on the self-defence. I'm laughing at the poo-bag face-slap - ha ha ha - I bet mister thug wasn't expecting that!

My sister has a pedigree border terrier and she is worried that somebody might try to grab him. He cost her £500 as a pup but they are going for a lot more now. Blimey, I just checked - some are now £2,500+! :eek:

Saluki

I know it must have been a terrifying experience for you, but well done on the self-defence. I'm laughing at the poo-bag face-slap - ha ha ha - I bet mister thug wasn't expecting that!

My sister has a pedigree border terrier and she is worried that somebody might try to grab him. He cost her £500 as a pup but they are going for a lot more now. Blimey, I just checked - some are now £2,500+! :eek:
Everyone has chuckled at the poo. I hadn’t closed the bag at all when he shoved me.

I have added Saturday’s 101km. Cambridge to Downham Market, quick coffee then a 13 mile loop to make up the mileage and decompress after riding with a twit.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
well done all !
I am afriad to say i havent done a metric so far this year du to weather , work,kids , lockdown yadda yadda :sad:
54 miles today so buidling my fitness back so i hope to be back to clocking a metric most weekends by the end of march when groups of 6 are allowed .
Yes i know i could easily do one now slower but whats the fun in that :smile:

KingswayRider

Über Member
3 months...3 rides. Not the start to the year I had planned, but I'm just about scraping through to maintain the 100k challenge. No ill effects from the ride on Sunday, other than the usual aches, so hopefully I can put my back pain problems behind me & start getting back to normality (I'll always have some level of back pain). My ride pace was as expected...very poor, due to my lack of miles. Tired legs too...when I should be able to knock out twice the amount. Dragged myself round & did enjoy getting out, so hoping I can keep it up & get back to reasonable fitness.
My meanderings...
https://www.strava.com/activities/4983957321

Saluki

Nice 108km in the sunshine. My 50km get a bit longer as I ended up at Reedham and crossed the river on the ferry. Nice little ride along to Gt Yarmouth, which resembled a winter sunny Sunday and not a bank holiday. It got a bit hairy en route to Acle as I missed a turning and there was a lot of traffic. I whipped up the little bridle path to save being killed by twits in 4x4s going way too fast.
All in all, I had a lovely time. I have stuffed some home made pizza and some not home made wine ^_^🍷

gbs

Guru
Another ride yesterday. 108k, of which about 20k was offroad and most of the rest was into a moderate NEly headwind. Was tired at the end; the combination of offroad, more head wind than tailwind (not an out and back route) and 35mm offroad tyres provided a test.

KingswayRider

Über Member
Challenging ride today...yet barely any more climbing than recent weeks (this week was 62.75miles & 1040m ascent, recent weeks were 70/971 & 75/1009). Wet roads to start, but not raining, despite the forecast, so kitted up accordingly, which ended up being too hot later, as the sun stayed out & the strong winds rapidly dried the roads.
I put in a pre-club ride loop as usual, squeezing in 17 miles in the hour before the start. The club ride headed out down the A38, peeled left at Whitminster & out to Frocester...headwind all the way so far. Up the 3 part climb from Kings Stanley to Selsley, then drop back into Stroud, picking up the road to Nailsworth very briefly, before peeling left & starting to climb again. The road quickly ramps up into a sustained 14% gradient, before levelling out, descending briefly & then turning right onto a tiny little lane that started steep & got steeper, peaking at over 20% before levelling out a little. We reached the main road & located the little lane I'd been looking at to traverse the hill. A delightful little lane that clings to the side of the hill, surrounded by woodland & the smell of wild garlic. The end of the lane earmarked another climb...this time the top half of Bear Hill, up to the Bear at Rodborough & onto another new lane for me, passing behind the pub & leading us through to Amberley - definitely another lane to ride again. Scoot across Culver Hill & climb up onto Minchinhampton Common, before descending the "W" back to Nailsworth - which is always fun trying to judge the 180 degree corners just right, then ensuring you scrub off enough speed to make the final corner into Nailsworth. Ruskin Mill was closed, so an Italian restaurant in Nailsworth become our cuppa stop. Off again & through to Avening, but taking the little lane above the pub to climb up the hill, before looping around to Cherington & a steep initial pitch to the climb to come through the golf course...fortunately it steadily eases in gradient all the way. Up into Minchinhampton with the wind behind us, dash across the 2 junctions on the common & drop a little way down Brimscombe Hill before another little lane to cut across to Butterow Hill. Down the hill, cross Stroud & Stonehouse, then via Standish to pick up the A38 & enjoy the tailwind home - 25mph whilst just spinning the pedals over.
I don't think it was the volume of climbing that was the killer, but the repeated steep gradients that take it out of the legs. Great weather, considering the forecasted dark cloud, great company & some cracking new lanes - just need a different way to get to the start of them!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom