The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KingswayRider

Über Member
I'm on 70 - from July '17, with 10 so far this year. Prior to that a road ride was just something to help with mtb'ing fitness. I need 15 to move Eddington number over 65 & 30 to move over 70. Frustratingly, my early 100k's this year just scraped over the 100k's, so didn't contribute to either my 65's or 70's.
It was @Donger that started me on the 100k challenge - so can I catch him on the push to the hundred 100's?

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I'm on 70 - from July '17, with 10 so far this year. Prior to that a road ride was just something to help with mtb'ing fitness. I need 15 to move Eddington number over 65 & 30 to move over 70. Frustratingly, my early 100k's this year just scraped over the 100k's, so didn't contribute to either my 65's or 70's.
It was @Donger that started me on the 100k challenge - so can I catch him on the push to the hundred 100's?
I could be cruel and accelerate at this point! But it would be quite cool to synchronise tons to arrive on 100 on the same ride.

13 rider

Guru
Somehow I'm still in the challenge I had stupidly left it to the last weekend but my best laid plans for a ride yesterday were blown out of the water due to personal circumstances . So I woke this morning with little motivation but somehow I got out ,rode a 50km loop back to my home village and found the will power to turn from home to complete another 50km loop . 67 miles in total really warmed up by the time I got back

KingswayRider

Über Member
Somehow I'm still in the challenge I had stupidly left it to the last weekend but my best laid plans for a ride yesterday were blown out of the water due to personal circumstances . So I woke this morning with little motivation but somehow I got out ,rode a 50km loop back to my home village and found the will power to turn from home to complete another 50km loop . 67 miles in total really warmed up by the time I got back
Always tough to reach home & have to turn away. Well done for keeping going.

I passed 100 x 100km some time ago (117 now) but it says a lot about my riding and this challenge that it'll take another 12 (!) rides for me to get to 101 x 101km!

Last edited:

gbs

Guru
Sorry I missed this. Vittoria Corsa Control, tubeless in 30mm. They are a lot faster than the 28mm Schwalbe Pro-1's I had on before. I've been looking at my efforts since changing tyres and I'd say I'm consistently 3-5% faster. No punctures yet.
V interesting comment; what wheels and were the tyres easy to fit?

13 rider

Guru
June's done 64.9 miles in 4hr 21min with 3900ft of upness
Away for a few days in Oswestry so did a cross boarder raid to Lake Vyrnwy over some Welsh hills once round the lake and back

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I knew that I was riding today so did a short dumbbell HIIT from my Body coach programme. That goes well with a nice 50km ride, does it not?
Hmmm, 50km my backside. “Can we go for cheesy chips” says he. 10 miles out in totally the wrong direction. Some rough country roads and some gravel trails later we were heading to the cyclepaths along the Norwich NDR duel cabbageway (very rural round here). Off to Woodfords Brewery at Woodbastwick. You can see the sticky out ‘there and back’ bit on the right On Strava if you have a quick squint. Cheesy chips had. Half a portion as I found something in mine. Manager was brilliant though and knocked mine off the bill even though I offered to pay half. I had a big glass of fizzy water and squash too.
Went round Widershins BTW.
“How far from Wroxham” says he. Jesus, Mary, Joseph and the wee donkey! Boy’s a madman. He wanted to ride on the Bure Valley cycle path (muddy as hell) over grown and I am stung and scratched half to death. My skin is springing with all the nettle stings. Awful man. “We can go home via Marriott’s Way”. It’s seriously muddy. Rim deep, slidey mud. Worse than Bure Valley. Says I.
We went on the Marriott’s. Stopped at Whitwell Station Cafe (highly recommend if you are in the area and like steam trains) for a cuppa and a Feast ice lolly. I felt that I deserved one.
After that it got really muddy. 5 miles of slow, filthy, slithering hell. I might have a tough gravel bike but there are limits and I was tired and headed for the road.
I decided that enough was enough and doglegged about a bit for the best, safest route. We found a garage with a tap and sponges. Decided to clean the bikes. They are expensive toys to be that covered in sticky mud and horse poo. I could hear the grit on the discs when braking. Change of gear was a non-starter too. Back to normal after a quick sluice. I was still filthy, as was he.
Finally back home for Croque Monsieur and salad (get me all healthy). 72 miles (115.88km) and a workout.
I am comfortable that those cheesy chips and a Feast lolly don’t count and am calling it an “on plan“day.

Currently in bed. Considering trading in my bike buddy for one without a sense of adventure.

gbs

Guru
Early start this AM and metric century duly completed. A great half day on the bike marred only by a fall at the end, outside my house, when, for whatever reason, I decided to uncleat with the "wrong" foot.

13 rider

Guru
August done . My big sister had arranged a family picnic at Rutland water some 32 miles from home . As I was up early I extended the route out grabbing some veloviewer squares arrived just as the picnic was being set up good timing with 50 miles in the bag . A relaxed lunch catching up with my relatives from Peterborough who I not seen for 2.5 years . After a long break the legs felt terrible on the return leg and the headwind didn't help . Another 32 miles added so a daily total of 82 miles

Top Bottom