The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

footloose crow

Über Member
It is the height of obsession when you finish a nice ride with friends on a spring like day - and then go past your house to ride another 25k in order to get 100k done. A weary message from my wife popped up on the GPS as she tracked my progress - ' I take it that you have decided not to come home just to collect a 100k?'. The weather forecast is not good for the rest off this month and I have various obligations so it was a relief to get this one out of the way. Lovely along the north coast today but it does keep going up and down.....

Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 16.38.32.png

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It is the height of obsession when you finish a nice ride with friends on a spring like day - and then go past your house to ride another 25k in order to get 100k done. A weary message from my wife popped up on the GPS as she tracked my progress - ' I take it that you have decided not to come home just to collect a 100k?'. The weather forecast is not good for the rest off this month and I have various obligations so it was a relief to get this one out of the way. Lovely along the north coast today but it does keep going up and down.....

View attachment 721847

I have 2 weekends left , this week is iffy as I'm still full of cold

13 rider

Guru
Jan 14 - 64.88 miles, 2,707ft, 5.08.50 Bilton, Dunchurch, Toft, Kites Hardwick, Tomlow, Napton on the Hill, Chapel Green, Marston Doles, Priors Hardwick, Upper Boddington, Aston le Walls, Chipping Warden, Edgcote, Wardington, Upper Wardington, Chacombe, Middleton Cheney, Lower Middleton Cheney, Thenford, Farthinghoe, Marston St Lawrence, Thorpe Mandeville, Lower Thorpe, Culworth, West Farndon, Byfield, Charwelton, Hellidon, Upper Catesby, Staverton, Flecknoe, Sawbridge, Grandborough, Woolscott, Dunchurch, home.

Feb 17 - 65.88 miles, 2,196ft, 4.27.47 Bilton, Long Lawford, Church Lawford, King's Newnham, Little Lawford, Cathiron, Harborough Magna, Easenhall, Pailton, Street Ashton, Monks Kirby, Cloudesley Bush, High Cross, Sharnford, Sapcote, Stoney Stanton, Potters Marston, Thurlaston, Earl Shilton, Kirkby Mallory, Peckleton, Desford, The Cottages Hunts Lane, Newbold Verdon, Barlestone, Obaston, Obaston Toll Gate, Bufton, Barton in the Beans, Congerstone, Market Bosworth, Cadeby, Stapleton, Hinckley, Burbage, Wolvey Heath, Cloudesley Bush, Brinklow, Bretford, Church Lawford, Long Lawford, home.
Every days a School day , I use the A447 crossing a Barlestone quite often and had never noticed any mention of toll gate at Osbaston, checked map and the cottage just over the A447 is tollgate cottage and didn't even know Bufton existed despite cycling up Bufton lane many a time thought it was a typo

Ajax Bay

Guru
Every days a School day , I use the A447 crossing a Barlestone quite often and had never noticed any mention of toll gate at Osbaston, checked map and the cottage just over the A447 is tollgate cottage and didn't even know Bufton existed despite cycling up Bufton lane many a time thought it was a typo
Maybe guessing you don't use OS mapping as part of your planning.
1708201489158.png

On a wider point, @Willd offers a very very long list of all the places they've passed through. I sometimes like to have a look at the route my fellow challengers have taken/chosen but I'm not that keen. If an electronic route or record is linked then with a click or two i can look.
I deliberately keep my route description to one line, fwiw, and a RwGPS plot of the route embedded. I am not alone.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
If you are ever cycling in North Warwickshire I would highly recommend a new cafe called "Nom" in Flyfford Flavell. Visited it today with the GLW on a 100k ride on very wet roads. May well have water in my wheels.
20240218_111631.jpg

20240218_111259.jpg

Highlight was toasted banana cake with cinnamon butter 😊
Screenshot_20240218_164109.jpg

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
North Warwickshire - is this pesky auto-correct again :rolleyes:

I think I spell it differently every time, unless it's in Worcestershire... :wacko:

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Got my ride in
what a nightmare !
garmin route took me up a single track farm lane covered in muck, gravel etc
My brand new club gilet fell out of my jersey pocket
close to the cafe when a road closure took me around the houses so officially they were shutting but just managed a coffee and cake so i had done 40 miles before i even stopped .
got home and i was 4 miles short so i road around the block a few times to get the 100 km in , just under 17 mph avg

13 rider

Guru
Got my ride in
what a nightmare !
close to the cafe when a road closure took me around the houses so officially they were shutting but just managed a coffee and cake so i had done 40 miles before i even stopped .
got home and i was 4 miles short so i road around the block a few times to get the 100 km in , just under 17 mph avg
Seen your route on Strava , I'm possibly heading that way tomorrow,where the river crossing ok

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Got my ride in
what a nightmare !

Did you go back and find your gilet?

Top Bottom