The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Today is definitely iffy! So.not going to do the Mother's Day 100k planned with the GLW. Luckily already got March done

UphillSlowly

March done. Rode down to the Surrey Hills via a rather extended south westerly slog through Croydon and associated suburbs. Once there I rode four hills - Ranmore Common, Coldharbour Lane, Pitch Hill and Radnor Road. After lunch on a bench (pic here), the next leg was flat and eastbound. Unfortunately there was a bit of an Easterly breeze so that was a bit of a slog that robbed me of the will to live. I was tempted to bail at Edenbridge, as I'd just passed the 100k, but I'd just missed the one train per hour, so I pressed on to Sevenoaks for the train home

I have been wanting to have a go at the Survey Hills (esp those in Simon Warren's books) for quite some time. Are you on Strava? Iironically I used to live in Woking but stopped riding my racer when I was 13.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have been wanting to have a go at the Survey Hills (esp those in Simon Warren's books) for quite some time. Are you on Strava? Iironically I used to live in Woking but stopped riding my racer when I was 13.

It's a lovely area but for me the ride there, through Croydon, is a bit of an urban slog, so I normally tend to gravitate to Kent hills.

It's extremely popular with cyclists. Peaslake is always chock full of mountain bikers and if you want to gawp at a Pinarello or two, then Box Hill cafe is the place to go.

I am on Strava but I only upload one or two rides a year, just to signal to people I know on Strava that I am still alive. This wasn't one of them. FWIW the route I took is here

UphillSlowly

It's a lovely area but for me the ride there, through Croydon, is a bit of an urban slog, so I normally tend to gravitate to Kent hills.

It's extremely popular with cyclists. Peaslake is always chock full of mountain bikers and if you want to gawp at a Pinarello or two, then Box Hill cafe is the place to go.

I am on Strava but I only upload one or two rides a year, just to signal to people I know on Strava that I am still alive. This wasn't one of them. FWIW the route I took is here

Thanks. I shall have to venture south soon

footloose crow

Über Member
March ride done today finally - windy but between 6c and 12c so not cold and no wet stuff for a change. Found a new part of the Lizard I have barely visited. Reminded me of Brittany. Lovely lanes with far reaching views across the Helford and Falmouth Bay. There are also a lot of hills contributing to the 1800m of 'up' on the ride, more than I expected. Of course it also means that there was 1800m of downhill so perhaps I should be more balanced and less critical of height gain. Glass half full or half empty?

I rode today with some friends who seemed obsessed with getting to St Keverne. It turned out they had misheard what I had said and thought there was a cafe there. I had no idea what was there or why they wanted to go until we got there and I was accused of misleading them as there wasn't a cafe.

There is actually a cafe in St Keverne I found out from a local...but it only opens on Thursdays. I have no idea why Thursday is the chosen day. Once Easter comes it will all change I expect. "There is also a cafe in Coverack", she told me. "But it isn't open yet". She drove off with her car tailgate wide open.

The 10 day forecast for Cornwall is rain. I wouldn't come here for your holidays just yet.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Another chance missed , woke up and its heavy rain with it forecast to sit on us most of the day , the 2 i had planned to ride with pulled out as well. It might clear up this afternoon but we have a roast dinner midday as FIL always comes and has to get back for whatever sport hes watching that day so its a no go for a big ride on a bellyful of meat and veg

footloose crow

Über Member
It stopped raining for a day and the sun emerged from where it has been demurely hiding beneath clouds all winter. The roads are still wet, wide deep puddles running off the saturated ground and fields but incongruously the sun is warm on the skin, drying out my legs and shoes after each soaking. Skin? Yes, bib shorts today.

A carnival atmosphere on the roads as everyone wants to go to the beaches after weeks of rain. This means more close passes than usual and some definite attempts to kill me. It's often like this on the first spring days. The newly emerged sun seems to daze people and cause them to drive stupidly.

I got to 101km though for the second time this month and found some new roads and lanes. It would have been even better with company but I am faster on my own as I just don't stop. Or have debates about where to find an open cafe.

Praa sands, between Helston and Penzance.

tempImagek7BSbf.png

IMG_3882.png

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
That 2nd picture makes my knees ache 😂

its the soaked to the skin , i have arthritis in my thumb joints , 11 pins and a plate in my shoulder and a snipped knee cartilage.Getting cold and wet isnt so much fun these days .
Considered going out now for a spin but im up before 4 am for work the rest of the week :sad:

Last edited:
Top Bottom