The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Nine from our Wednesday evening pub ride group met at 9 (I rode there: 30km). Hilly to The York Inn for 10 for a 'Big Breakfast'. Then a circuitous scenic route (including a culture visit to Dunkeswell Abbey (ruin and church built on ruin)) to another pub for 'afternoon drinks'. Confess I left them to it after a pint; got home (another 25km) washed (bike was v muddy) showered and sat down just in time for the rugby. Several were still in the pub at kick off. Good day out which didn't start well with an hour's rain (0750-0850) but sunshine later and warmed from 4o at 0740 to maybe 9o by the pint stop.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Quite surprised to get in a third 100k ride for, February, given work, weather and family. Took part in the Snowdrop Express Audax for.the second year in a row, but this time with the GLW, a couple of friends from Uni and some.friends of friends.

Started the route in freezing fog, -1 degrees, but luckily it soon warmed up. Have never had to wear had to wear two layers on top of my Perfetto-merino base layer combo before.
Screenshot_20240225_084405.jpg

Two nice cafe stops. Pace was relaxed for middle third as we warmed up and chatted. On the whole the roads were not too bad with only one diversion. Photo below from social media. The water had receded by the time we got there

IMG-20240225-WA0026.jpg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Quite surprised to get in a third 100k ride for, February, given work, weather and family. Took part in the Snowdrop Express Audax for.the second year in a row, but this time with the GLW, a couple of friends from Uni and some.friends of friends.

Started the route in freezing fog, -1 degrees, but luckily it soon warmed up. Have never had to wear had to wear two layers on top of my Perfetto-merino base layer combo before.
View attachment 722574
Two nice cafe stops. Pace was relaxed for middle third as we warmed up and chatted. On the whole the roads were not too bad with only one diversion. Photo below from social media. The water had receded by the time we got there

View attachment 722573

our planned ride canned again due to black ice risk and you can see the low lying freezing fog in the distance , im glad i got one in yesterday .

UphillSlowly

our planned ride canned again due to black ice risk and you can see the low lying freezing fog in the distance , im glad i got one in yesterday .

It wasn't pleasant at the start, but to be fair to the organiser, he had been out to check course that morning. There was only one patch of slushy ice and he did provide an alternative route for the first 20k down an A road, which some people took.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The Trent valley was covered in mist and wahoo read -4 but the roads were ok just ice on puddles but you could spot it , Do sign of your gillet I'm afraid

It's OK, he's found it. We're a basking in the heart-warming happy ending.

UphillSlowly

March in the bag. Had planned to go out yesterday but weather in the Midlands was truly dreadful. A clear dry day today, though quite a cold start. A bit of icy slush on the road but managed a reasonable pace for me.

Got to test out my birthday present too, a Hammerhead Karoo 2, though managed to break the bracket of my new front light. Think the Karoo needs the elevation calibrating.

The route was more or less the same as the one I did with the GLW in the middle of February.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
March in the bag. Had planned to go out yesterday but weather in the Midlands was truly dreadful. A clear dry day today, though quite a cold start. A bit of icy slush on the road but managed a reasonable pace for me.

Got to test out my birthday present too, a Hammerhead Karoo 2, though managed to break the bracket of my new front light. Think the Karoo needs the elevation calibrating.

The route was more or less the same as the one I did with the GLW in the middle of February.

indeed, although as mentioned above their was that freezing fog, about 15-20 miles south it was clear and sunny , very odd day and now its very nice but too late to get a ride in for me now .

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
March done. Rode down to the Surrey Hills via a rather extended south westerly slog through Croydon and associated suburbs. Once there I rode four hills - Ranmore Common, Coldharbour Lane, Pitch Hill and Radnor Road. After lunch on a bench (pic here), the next leg was flat and eastbound. Unfortunately there was a bit of an Easterly breeze so that was a bit of a slog that robbed me of the will to live. I was tempted to bail at Edenbridge, as I'd just passed the 100k, but I'd just missed the one train per hour, so I pressed on to Sevenoaks for the train home

Top Bottom