The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Sleeves came off today for the first time this year 😃. Another ride to the lovely cafe, Nom, with my GLW.
20240317_123952.jpg

Got to do some domestique duties as she had run 10k yesterday. Some alarmingly flooded roads still (no photos, sadly).
Screenshot_20240317_162154.jpg

Norry1

Legendary Member
Just joined the challenge and posted my 2024 rides on the main thread.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Set off intending to get another one in as its a nice day so i joined the club but i had to bail after a few miles with stomach cramps :sad: As soon as i had to put any effort in my belly felt like it was going to explode so i had to glass crank home .I did have a granola slice this morning that didnt taste very fresh or could have been the co codamol have have been taking or maybe a combination of the two :sad:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
April done and dusted.

I haven't done an imperial century for a while so I set off on a not too hilly ton around Kent. But I'd forgotten one thing. 100 miles is a really long way.

Back when I was doing the imperial century challenge, the lure of the ton was enough to keep me going, but now it's just a number. 160.93 km. So when I came across the choice between a final 10k of uninspiring suburban south east London cycling (and getting a ton) or a nice train home (but sticking on 153 km / 95 miles) the train won. :smile:

Last edited:

footloose crow

Über Member
I used the Falmouth audax (a 'half randonnee' of 100k) for April's qualifying ride. It was notable for two things: unrelenting hills and unrelenting wind. The head winds and cross winds of up to 50mph were brutal, especially near the coast when it was hard to ride in a straight line. Conversely some of the hills on the return journey were definitely wind assisted. The forecast was rain but there were just a couple of light showers. There seemed to be a lot of 'unnecessary' hills on this route, forced by road closures in some cases, although I suspect perversity by the route setter for others. The cake and sandwiches at the end and the flapjacks and bananas halfway round were appreciated. Thank you Falmouth Wheelers. The forecast for the next ten days seems to continue with the theme of strong winds and rain but at least it isn't cold so hopefully an imperial century ride can be planned.

I find lots of new potholes every time I go out. They form faster than Cornwall Council can fill them - 'whack a mole' season until it stops raining and washing the roads away.

The copy of RWGPS below shows 103km but all of my friends has 110km as did the GPX provided by the organiser so I suspect my Wahoo is playing games with me. Everyone else had more recorded uphill than me too!

Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 22.59.27.png

footloose crow

Über Member
17 April. Tried to do an imperial century today but a combination of strong cross winds (both there and back) and the cold (5c with windchill) for which I was inadequately clothed......no, ditch the excuses. I just didn't have the grit and fortitude I needed to do this ride. So I got a 100k out of it but now need to find another day when the weather looks alright and my 'husbandly duties' are not required. Too much procrastination going on.

Top Bottom