The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Try for an early in the month op, preceded by a century. Then 50 days till sneaking the second month's.
I think I could've managed a hundred 50 days after my hip replacement, in the event (rehab went better than expected: rode 180 after 90 days). But I didn't want to have that temptation so I deliberately didn't start in that January.

13 rider

Guru
And I may have to pull out this year as I'm looking for a month off the bike due to forthcoming operation unless I'm allowed to zwift it
Good luck when the opp happens , I would suggest get the opp done and the see what the recovery time line looks like , It my be an early June opp after you've gotten a June ride ride could give you 8 weeks to recover and get July's in ,
I would prefer all rides to be outside but as the moderator of the 50km challenge I do allow a turbo ride to count in exceptional circumstances, to me under these circumstances I would be happy for you to do a turbo ride if the timeline of recovery does not allow for an outdoor ride as you've already invested time getting 5/6 months of rides in only for a medical procedure to knock you out ,It will take the vast majority of us to agree as I presume the rules don't cover it

Last edited:

footloose crow

Über Member
Good luck when the opp happens , I would suggest get the opp done and the see what the recovery time line looks like , It my be an early June opp after you've gotten a June ride ride could give you 8 weeks to recover and get July's in ,
I would prefer all rides to be outside but as the moderator of the 50km challenge I do allow a turbo ride to count in exceptional circumstances, to me under these circumstances I would be happy for you to do a turbo ride if the timeline of recovery does not allow for an outdoor ride as you've already invested time getting 5/6 months of rides in only for a medical procedure to knock you out ,It will take the vast majority of us to agree as I presume the rules don't cover it

I am happy to support @13rider in his comments on this, having been in a similar position myself a few years ago.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
date set 21st june, we will have to see as july is going to be tight

date set 21st june, we will have to see as july is going to be tight
That does sound tight, whether indoors or outdoors, given a month in a cast :-\ Zwift sounds like a better option!

As I'm sure I've said before, I see these challenges as personal; it's not as if there are actual prizes for completing; they're all about incentive to ride regularly / far / etc. For me, the entire point is 'riding a bike a decent distance, regularly, in countryside'. I'm not doing it for fitness at all, that's incidental, so I'd not count a turbo trainer ride as one of my rides. I'd not count four hundred circuits of a velodrome either. That's purely personal though; I have no issue at all with anyone counting indoor rides as part of the challenge if that's how they want to use the challenge.

Ajax Bay

Guru
As said, riding a 100k once each month is a personal challenge: personal to the individual. The purpose of this thread is to offer accountability, to a small extent, to others who are similarly challenging themselves. And that pseudo-accountability motivates me to to get out and ride, and ride further on occasions than I otherwise would: as @Sea of vapours says "riding a bike a decent distance, regularly, in countryside".
If you ride a July 100k on the turbo and that motivates you to carry on and ride 5 more 100+km rides monthly, that's a win @cyberknight.
Riding 100km on a turbo sounds like purgatory, though my daughter does so fairly regularly but outdoors preferred (obv) (btw next race Ironman Hamburg, ftw).

ukbabz

Veteran
My neck of the woods - may I ask which side of Brill Hill did you come up/down? All four routes are subtly different (well, one is shallow and the other three are varying degrees of steep!) so I'm interested to see which one(s) you tackled.

It was up from Oakley, then back down towards Boarstall. The descent back to Boarstall has been resurfaced which is good as it was a right mess last time I went up there. It's not too steep but does have it's tricky bits, the headwind never helps!

steverob

Guru
Good to know about the Boarstall side resurfacing, but I'm shocked they haven't done the Oakley side yet as that is long overdue (and it's a much busier road). Descending that side is where I hit a pothole and crashed breaking my collarbone seven years ago. I've just looked on StreetView and the hole still exists (as of June 2023 anyway).

Top Bottom