The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I think today's ride was the first of my 2016 metric centuries that was a real pleasure to ride (the last two were rush jobs through the mud and rain to fit them into the respective months). Gorgeous sunshine over Dartmoor and a lovely new route to explore, and the first outing this year for my "best" bike. Almost forgotten how nice it is to ramble along the country lanes in nice weather!

I think I am getting my cycling mojo back a bit after the shoddy winter weather :biggrin:

10-03-2016_Okehampton.jpg

Nice bike. Looks like really nice weather too. It's great up on Dartmoor on a fine day.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Thank you! It's my father-in-law's old racer, a 1960s Cinelli Riviera - definitely my favourite bike I've ever owned.

You can't beat Dartmoor on a sunny day :smile:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Oh bum. I've just lost one of my two spare days this month. That means my metric ton will either have to be done at night, on a Brompton, or else I'll have to double up one ride as imperial and metric.

Seeing that I've never ridden the Brommie for more than 10 miles, it may have to be the latter.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Gorgeous sunshine over Dartmoor
Lovely photo and bike. Hills must have been testing on a 39/28.
Minds of equal greatness (or not) think alike. Exeter straight over to Yelverton via Moretonhampstead, up to Tavistock (Drake's Trail - over the fantastic 'Gem Bridge') and north (against what wind there was) to Okehampton, picking up the Granite Way (several trees down on each of these excellent cycle paths, so pick up and step over or round), and back down the old A30. It was indeed glorious today: had 6 hours and used every minute. https://ridewithgps.com/trips/8102292

ChrisEyles

Guru
Sounds like a lovely ride - the road up through Moretonhampstead is not exactly easy going either!

Haha yes, the hills are hard work on that one... to make matters even worse it's a 52/42 old-school double. Swapping the back out for a 28t max sprocket was the best thing I did on that bike!

Ride from work today via the Suffolk rolling roads south of Newmarket.

Was a last minute decision and was hard work in the end and ended up riding around Ely to finish due to the lack of planning for the route.

Front mech still playing up so another thing to add to this week-ends fettling list.

Endurance fitness is still lacking but the new Fabric saddle seems to work nicely.

13 rider

Guru
Got Marchs 100km in today slight discrepancy in the distance . Bike computer read 62.3 but strava says 62 ( as helpfully pointed out by @Supersuperleeds ) I always believe bike computer so I'm counting it hopefully you all believe me .

Ajax Bay

Guru
11th March, 106.4km, 1 point (Cross of Greet, Waddington, Trough of Bowland, Quernmore, Keasden - 2,043m)
Serious hilly ride - that 'constraint' kicking in big time. Chapeau.

On a separate topic, I think that there is merit in planning rides of at least 64 miles as one avoids the 'not quite sure' moments towards the end and over-reliance on the accuracy of calibration/settings of various instruments. Only for those whom the cap fits . . . Personally, my Garmin (500) gives 5 mile time checks and thus I can be content when I see '13', backed up by the (front wheel magnet) cycle computer and, normally but not today, a pre-planned route (of 65+).

The Forest of Bowland tends to feature a lot of up and down! I have a route which does (I think) 2,400m in 101km - that's 'fairly challenging' ;-)

As to the second point: I tend to aim for 1km excess in winter and get a lot more relaxed when it's warmer and there's no daylight issue. My route planner typically comes in within about 2-500m under the gps measured distance so that's comfortable really. That said, a comfortable margin is definitely better than 'too tight'.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Mad March 200 Audax today, with unplanned excursion from the north going A396 - west on B3227 to A361 and back on route through Dulverton - adding 30km/400m and 80 riding minutes!). At 236km this was a new 'longest ride' for me (beats Day 5 of LEJOG - Lancaster to Sanquar @ 224km). Great company all the way including the useless pair (from Redruth, Cornwall) with whom I stayed for the excursion, till a 'slow' forced an inner (tube) replacement at 150km (Somerset coast) and then teamed up with a guy from Stroud called 'James'(Jim?) who always likes to do this one back to back with the 'Cheltenham Flyer' 200 audax (19 Mar!) . . . . A 300 beckons.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
March done. That's the first time I've ridden my Brompton for more than about 10 miles. And I discovered that Doc Martens make very poor cycling shoes on a chilly night. My poor feet! The ride was actually a bit more than 100k, but the GPS cut out for a bit. I ended up doing a pointless tour of Corby's lovely industrial units to get the number to tick over 100.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
March done. That's the first time I've ridden my Brompton for more than about 10 miles. And I discovered that Doc Martens make very poor cycling shoes on a chilly night. My poor feet! The ride was actually a bit more than 100k, but the GPS cut out for a bit. I ended up doing a pointless tour of Corby's lovely industrial units to get the number to tick over 100.
Errm, a small query: You have listed four points from three rides?

Top Bottom