The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'd just like to share that the existence of this challenge (and my taking it on) has had a beneficial effect on my cycling, in particular encouraging me to get out for decent length rides when weather and contract work allows, and I've managed to get some decent 'early season' mileage in that just would not have happened otherwise. Rather rashly I've entered the Mille Pennines Audax 1-4 July: about 11750 metres of climbing spread over 1006 km. Now where's that 12-30?
Nice to hear that - it worked that way for me too last year. Unfortunately, I was a slacker at the start of this year, but I am making the effort to get stuck in now that the weather has improved.

Good luck with your audax ride!

NB BLIMEY!!!! I read what you posted as 1,750 m of climbing over 106 km (which would be challenging enough), but when I looked it up I realised that it is actually a 4 day event about 8 times as hard as that! Chapeau if you get through that lot within the time limit!

Ajax Bay

Guru
But does it count as one ride for Metric Century monthly challenge (because I shall have to sleep for short periods during the 75 hours allowed)? Still I'll get July's one out of the way by tea and cakes on 1 July!

I'd just like to share that the existence of this challenge (and my taking it on) has had a beneficial effect on my cycling, in particular encouraging me to get out for decent length rides when weather and contract work allows, and I've managed to get some decent 'early season' mileage in, that just would not have happened otherwise. Rather rashly I've entered the Mille Pennines Audax 1-4 July: about 11750 metres of climbing spread over 1006 km. Now where's that 12-30?

Urgh. That sounds ...... quite challenging, though I certainly aspire to something of the sort at some point, it won't be this year. Best of luck with that. It's certainly a 'proper' amount of climbing over that (improper) distance.

This challenge was most certainly excellent encouragement for me last year (which was my first full year of cycling) as it, as you say, got me out whenever the weather and other commitments allowed. This year, I've been slacking since I started doing interval training a couple of months ago and it's messing with my metric centuries (since I do the intervals up to Newby Head then return round Ingleborough for a total of about 50km.).

Today, I thought I'd tack on a metric century to the first bit, so that was 5km warm-up, 15km of intervals, then a relaxing 96km 'warm down'. What this has demonstrated is that my initial thoughts a few weeks back - those being that doing a metric century including a fair chunk of intervals up a large hill would be 'quite tiring' - were 100% correct. Well done me ... I even consumed my emergency gel (i.e. the one I carry around but have very rarely felt the need for).

StuartG

slower but further
I am planning to do a 100+km night ride starting before midnight on 30th April but with most of the ride on and ending on May 1st for breakfast. Would this be counted by the jury as an April or May ride - or can I choose which?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I am planning to do a 100+km night ride starting before midnight on 30th April but with most of the ride on and ending on May 1st for breakfast. Would this be counted by the jury as an April or May ride - or can I choose which?
Let me check the rule book. Now ... let's see ... volume 6. Ride month apportionment ... annex 5 ... subsection 6 ... clause 9b

Yeah, I'd say choose which. Personally I put FNRttCs in the month of the Saturday, because they actually start at midnight so are really all in the Saturday. Your ride starts before midnight, so it's a bit different.

I doubt anyone will complain whichever you choose.

13 rider

Guru
You choose what suits you best an odd hour here or there not an issue to me

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Got my April metric ton in last nght, with the Friday Night Ride to Whitstable.

In the morning I planned to extend it to a double ton but a hot bath was calling me, so I took the train home as soon I was near enough to a station with direct links. Still 179km is my longest ride this year.

13 rider

Guru
Mays 100km in the bag back to my minimalist approach 64.74 miles . Set off with plans for an eighty miler .First 2 hours were great then turned into a headwind or a head cross wind really sapping my energy 3 hours in and its now spitting with rain so change of plan just do enough. Battled home headwind all the way . home and my legs are battered not a good day on the bike

May 100km done today on a nice sunny day through some nice Suffolk countryside.

First of two 100k's this month as I'm doing the Boudicca sportive next Sunday.

Actually 150k done today as I did a brisk run in to work this morning.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
May done, by riding back after the very enjoyable Friday Night Ride to Shoreham.

Like my last Saturday-morning-after-the-Friday-night-before ride, I had some ambitions for 200k, but as things turned out I'm happy with the 183km result, because it was possibly my best ride of the year and I finished buzzing and ready for more Perhaps this was just the weird effects of sleep deprivation and a 10km downhill stretch to finish.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A reminder about formatting. It's in the first post of this thread and is a tried and tested format used for several years.

To log a ride, add a post containing all of your 2016 metric centuries to date. One ride per line, with the date, distance, short route description, and any links you want to add. Do not post just a link.

So, to reiterate
Show every ride, including its description, in your post
Provide a description for every ride
Do not post just a link

Second 100k for me also with the Boudicca sportive completed yesterday;164km in fact:smile:.

Next months should be early with the Cambs Gran Fondo on the 5th so plenty of chance to get a second in.

July is Ride London on the 31st so again plenty of time for a couple of 100ks as training.

Last edited:
Top Bottom