The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Was that the Miles Pennines audax perchance
As announced up thread the Mille Pennines (1000k) was my target, thus the 200s, 400 and 600 (the last a month ago). The audax timings allowed 75 hours and 90 of us started 1000 Friday. The event centre was Askrigg and the design was a (late start) day of 284k, starting in Blackpool, sleep a bit, 362k for Day 2, 262k for Sunday and a swift 101 back to Blackpool Monday am.
The weather was always going to be a significant challenge, with forecast and actual 'heavy shower' days (1,2 and 3) with fresh, gusting (30+mph) westerly winds. In the event I cracked the first day, finishing at the time I had expected/planned (0100) but on the Saturday morning though not cold, the first 70km/1666m climb (see map below) was the killer (65km in 4 hours 20 cf Day 1's 110km in that time) and by Bellingham (~123km) it was clear I wasn't making a good enough average speed. Half the field 'wrapped' on Day 2 so I was not alone, by any means. A pair who left Kielder (with 190km to go for "Day2") at 5:30pm same time as me, did get round, enjoying 3, 2 and 1 hours sleep on successive days. However I have to observe that my bed in the pub that Saturday evening was superb (straight through sleep of 10 hours). I did 132km back to Askrigg via friends on Day 3 and the final 101km thrash most in company on Monday morning (in 4 hours dead, including a 20 minute layby cafe stop).
Having done my 600 with similar percentage of climb with 375km on the first day and 233 on the second, I do not know why I could not achieve decent speed this time on Day 2 - perhaps quality of sleep that first night at Askrigg was a factor. Maybe my fitness has dropped off. Or maybe it's an MTFU issue. Having said that I got up Hardknott and Werynose Passes (Lake District) and all the successive climbs on Day 2 without putting a foot down (Hardknott from the west is 300m in 2.2km), so very pleased with that. And I've had some glorious riding in the Lakes and Dales with fabulous views, and while the rain came and went, and was sometimes heavy enough for a brief shelter stop (trees/shed), I didn't feel wet (thank you Gore Wear) and was never cold (gilet, knee warmers and overshoes). There you go. 38 finished by 1300 Monday btw. Good video (Part 1) here (I am with them/him at 150km - 6.37 in video, sheltering in a downpour). One sleepless one completed the 1010km in about 58 hours.

14915145.png

Last edited:
Sounds like a major achievement, irrespective of bailing. The idea of starting the day in Askrigg and having to head straight up Fleak Moss seems rather awful, especially having done Hardknott and Wrynose the previous day. And I do recall what the weather was like on Saturday in particular: 'uninviting' would be fair. I watched those two videos earlier, having found them via the YACF thread. Very good vicarious suffering!

Reference the above series of big climbs in horrible, wet weather by @Ajax Bay , I was at times today rather hoping for one of today's advertised 'light showers'. Really steep things may be argued to be 'nicer' with a gentle sprinkling of water than they are with full-on sunshine. Park Rash, in particular, was entirely devoid of either a shower or helpful people sprinkling water. The only good thing about Park Rash was that it made Grinton Moor seem rather a gentle climb, though that failed to work for Fleak Moss, oddly enough.

Steady 120 on Saturday with the easy group club ride to start and then a meander around calling in at C6 bikes on the A10 near Landbeach and then home via Twenty pence road with a jaunt down to Earith and back via Haddenham;as I said nice and steady not going out of zone 3(apart from a short 'climb') and despite the heat feelt ok at the end.

Next one will be next weeks Ride London.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've never ridden in that area but my sister has a place in Reeth, and I've walked around there. It's lovely (in the right weather). Must wangle a visit with my bike some time. Even if it's just riding the Brommie up Grinton Moor.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thanks very much. And meanwhile, I am currently considerably less sprightly than when I set off this morning. It was a tad warm for those steep hills and my 1.2l of water was not really sufficient. Still, not dead, so that's a good result :becool:
Blimey ... definitely more than 1.2L worth, I reckon!

Top Bottom