The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What a useful, daily wind rotation! Looks a rather good route, that.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Last week I rode from the Lakes to Edinburgh, and I thought the route via Langholm and Eskdalemuir was just superb. I cut through Penrith to the Eden valley, then through Bampton to Langholm and thence took the B709 all the way, following river/valley lines, deep into the hills, seemingly nowhere to go and looming high ridges ahead, then a swing round a (large) hill and the way ahead opens up and the horizon obligingly drops, crossing watersheds (relatively gently) and back down on the next river system. Cross Keys hotel/pub at Canonbie recommended.
Edinburgh from Langholm, via Eskdalemuir

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Well, keeping the imperial and metric challenges separate and not double counting any distance seemed like a good idea in January, but it's been a real headache. September done, and I'm now frowning at my October diary.

Still ... Three quarters of the way there.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well, keeping the imperial and metric challenges separate and not double counting any distance seemed like a good idea in January, but it's been a real headache. September done, and I'm now frowning at my October diary.

Still ... Three quarters of the way there.
Well done!

It's the UK climate that holds me back, or rather - my attitude towards it! I can motivate myself to rides up to 200+ km if I have had a consistent build-up to that distance and am feeling good. If we had warm sunny days all year round it wouldn't be a problem.

Typical October to March days are bad enough but half the time here, June to September days feel more like the other half of the year.

If I had the money I would go somewhere sunny to ride in any month when the UK weather forecast was dismal.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's not the weather that gets me but the unevenness of things in real life. Suddenly I find out that I have a string of weekends with no cycling time available. I think I should be OK for Oct, just.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
It's not the weather that gets me but the unevenness of things in real life. Suddenly I find out that I have a string of weekends with no cycling time available. I think I should be OK for Oct, just.
I find that's one of the brilliant things about this challenge. You have to fit it in somehow around life's unexpected problems and family matters, and you also have to stay healthy throughout the year. Throw in changeable weather and it's a lot tougher than @Ajax Bay keeps making it look.

I have nearly failed on two occasions through injury and illness, and once through a family crisis at the last minute and I now have to schedule my blood doning around my cycling plans. I always like to get my qualifying ride in early every month to make sure I get it done. Never thought I'd repeat it after completing the thing last year, but loving the challenge again.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I shall be out tomorrow. Till taking up this challenge I had not attempted long rides in November and December. I have been investing in some warm socks, neoprene overboots, merino base layer (Aldi), Lobster gloves (seem warm and allegedly "100%" waterproof). With the history of frostbite in a fair few digits, keeping warm enough in my extremities to be able to still feel that they're cold is important if I'm not to do more damage. Of course living not just in the soft south but looking across (Tor Bay) to the 'Devon Riviera' means I will not plan to be cycling in the conditions up with which the Northern 100kmpm Chapter have to put.
And did you see the climb/distance ratio of @Sea of vapours' last ride? Lucky; lucky; lucky; hilly and some.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I find that's one of the brilliant things about this challenge. You have to fit it in somehow around life's unexpected problems and family matters, and you also have to stay healthy throughout the year. Throw in changeable weather and it's a lot tougher than @Ajax Bay keeps making it look.

I have nearly failed on two occasions through injury and illness, and once through a family crisis at the last minute and I now have to schedule my blood doning around my cycling plans. I always like to get my qualifying ride in early every month to make sure I get it done. Never thought I'd repeat it after completing the thing last year, but loving the challenge again.
Well, I did manage to get October done, but because of my stupid rules that I've saddled myself with I had to do an extra long ride of 100 miles + 100 km. Took all day Saturday but it's done now. Next year: No stupid rules.

I think it's a very useful and fun challenge too. It basically encourages me to get in a first 100km as early in the month as possible, and I've taken to combining those with my one AAA audax ride a month, so both can be completed in one go. I did think of making them be separate, as per @Dogtrousers, but thankfully decided against it ;-)

And did you see the climb/distance ratio of @Sea of vapours' last ride? Lucky; lucky; lucky; hilly and some.
Wait 'til we get into December/January/February to see just how close to just over both 100km and 1,500m my rides will get ^_^

Ajax Bay

Guru
Flattist ride ever, today. Less than 800m climb in 105km. Ex-railway track to the sea, up the R Otter valley, then its tributary the R Tale, across to the R Culm valley, over lowish ground, west roughly following the 'Grand' Western Canal and then south from Tiverton down the Exe valley, to its mouth. Sunny sometimes, not as much as forecast.

Zeffer

Thanks for asking. It is so very slow but I am much more mobile now and back to work full time. I have a new desk and chair to help me sit properly when on the PC.

It all hurts today, but I have been doing lots of walking trying to get my muscle mass back. I still have a right leg that's much skinnier than the left! The bike riding is infrequent but I am able to go a good few miles now. Just need to get my mind right as I'm still very nervous.

Less than a second has led to such a long recovery time - just passed the eight month mark. Still seems very strange.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
November done. It was actually an imperial ton because of some other challenge that I've saddled myself with (new years resolution - no more stupid challenges, or fewer at least).

You know those days when you just have no zip? That was me today. I had a nice enough ride, despite the rain but I was soooo slow, and every last hill was a bottom-gear grinding job. The wind was - of course - constantly in my face. My winter boots and socks were sodden, so my feet felt like blocks of concrete when I got off the bike.

Top Bottom