The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That all sounds deeply unpleasant. I had the option of thick fog, verging on mizzle, and demurred, primarily due to the 'quite possibly not being seen' aspect of the day. November last year was far nicer than this year :-\

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have been psyching myself up to having another go at the metric century challenge next year, but this premature wintry weather is making me think twice about it! :laugh:

If I manage to avoid illness this coming winter and we get a reasonable start to 2017 then I will try to get out and do a metric century early in January. If I achieve that then it would put pressure on me to keep it up. If I leave it to the end of January then it will probably evaporate the way that other good NY intentions tend to do ... :whistle:

Anyway - well done to those of you who have made it this far and good luck with the last couple of months of the 2016 challenge! :bravo:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I'm doing my November one tomorrow. Looks like a miraculous break in the weather, so no excuse not to. I've suggested doing the challenge next year to several members of my club ...... met with silence by all and sundry! Reckon I'll keep it going myself ... perhaps with a little help from @jembullo on occasions?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The odd thing was it wasn't unpleasant in the main. It was quite a nice ride. I don't mind rain and it wasn't all that cold. Yes, road surfaces were poor (floods, run-off and leaves) But it was just slow motion, the main reason being just a lack of oomph in my legs.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Well last week I managed two, in the slight break in the weather (well, as forecast, not actual).
On Monday I went out did an hour prologue over the Blackdowns and then joined up with a friend to do another 80 up onto Exmoor. Superb views from Winsfold Hill, north to the Welsh coast, south to Dartmoor, SE to the Blackdowns and east to the Quantocks. Pint and a pie for late lunch in the sunshine and then along the ridge of the Brendon Hills, before returning/descending to the Tone valley (Taunton Deane) to finish.
On Wednesday the NW wind was blowing at 20+mph so, spotting a forecast gap in the showers, I jumped on the train to Barnstaple (87 minutes) and cycled back from there. But the showers had made unfortunately good progress and I did not out ride them, though they came and went and the wind was, of course, constantly not in my face - much more civilised. However one shower stands out: it chucked it down with significant size hailstones, to the extent I was rather glad I was wearing a helmet, but the hail didn't cover the road this time (cf February). Glad to finish a bit wet by then but still feeling my feet. Sealskin waterproof gloves weren't, well not after 4 hours. Think it's finally time to move from shoes to boots as well.
Today (Sunday) is a brilliant, sunny, not cold day but a ride's ruled out by Remembrance Day. The largest turnout I've ever seen at the War Memorial in Exmouth's centre. Some cyclists there too, achieving a perfect combination.

Last edited:
Challenge completed!! will update my rides in a bit (can't remember if Ive done it recently!)

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
December's ride done year completed ^_^
Silver star please ^_^

Next year:

hqdefault.jpg

Top Bottom