The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Well the weather was benign on Saturday and the Kings, Castles, Priests and Churches 200 audax was an excellent opportunity for a long ride with some company. Starting before sunrise (but plenty of light at 0730) from Tewkesbury, going through Bromyard, Ludlow, Presteigne, Kington and down the Wye valley before heading east. Though the wind was forecast to be an assertive south-easterly if it was it had died off by the time I turned south at Presteigne. Last hour in the dark, but in the post-sunset twilight on deserted roads heading east, it always seemed I was in the lights of a car coming up behind - no, just the still bright western sky playing tricks.
Sparked on Phil's 'my ride' narrative:

was now onto the road through the Mortimer Forest on the way to Ludlow and a fairly big climb which I plodded at slowly but enjoyed the even bigger descent the other side.
I cycled out of Ludlow and up through Mortimer Forest (your enjoyable descent) a short while before you came through.
Just over 10 hours, including stops.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Sparked on Phil's 'my ride' narrative:

I cycled out of Ludlow and up through Mortimer Forest (your enjoyable descent) a short while before you came through.
Just over 10 hours, including stops.
Small world.^_^ One of the few riders I saw on the ride was while descending that bit. I wonder if it was someone on the audax?

Ajax Bay

Guru
One of the few riders I saw on the ride was while descending that bit. I wonder if it was someone on the audax?
Quite likely. I had stopped for a second breakfast in Bromyard and so went through about 1115. The faster/minimal stopping riders will have passed there at 1030ish and the 'full value' ones at 1300 (say), especially if they'd lunched in Ludlow (though I suspect that most will have pushed on to minimise the time spent riding in the dark and been through by 1215). Our route carried on to Wigmore after Aston, so we were only on the same road for 3 miles.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The view back over Ludlow was as good at 1115 as when you took your photo. We were (both/all) fortunate that it had turned a bit milder after the freeze in the middle of the week.

StuartG

slower but further
You copy @Sea of vapours one, click on your user name at the top right hand corner, go to 'signature' and add it in (edited to 2016 etc), and save DAMHIK.
You are a star - and now, SO AM I - Yippee

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Well done, everyone. It is a difficult enough challenge to do one qualifying ride per month, let alone the numbers of rides some of you have been doing. I've still got one ride to go for my second star. Heading off on Sunday morning with @jembullo the day after our club Christmas shindig. A little self-control may be called for on my part.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Woo hoo. Challenge complete! That was quite tough as I did it in parallel to the imperial challenge, not double counting any distance. Whether I'll be so hard on myself next year, I'm not sure.

Today's ride was Kajsa's Cheshunt ride. I rode up through central London and the A10, which was no bother at that time of the morning, but very foggy. Kajsa's ride round Essex was equally foggy, as was my ride after to Tilbury to get the ferry to Gravesend which was suspended. Due to fog.

Fubar

Guru
I am out the challenge this year as having failed miserably to complete a 100k ride in November, for various (boring) reasons.

Congratuations to all who have completed the challenge - Chapeau!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I am out the challenge this year as having failed miserably to complete a 100k ride in November, for various (boring) reasons.

Congratuations to all who have completed the challenge - Chapeau!
Oh Boo, sorry to hear that. Hope the boring reasons are resolved now, and - challenge or not - you get out and about enjoying yourself.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Plan to have a go at this one in 2017, and at the moment have a pass out for 1st January to have a crack at what will be only my 3rd metric century. Not wishing to step on anyone's toes, who will start the ride recording thread? Noted @Dogtrousers did this years..

Top Bottom