The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'm back in for another year.:hello:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Where are you heading Colin? I'm dong one too - at least in theory - as I've not done my audax AAA ride this month due to weather, mostly, so it's my last chance ( :sad: ). Forest of Bowland fogginess for me.
Blue Hills is on a family visit to Clitheroe. I am doing a repeat of my last forum ride from Todmorden to Waddington and will meet him at the Padiham Greenway on the way over there. I will start a last minute thread about it in an hour or two.

It is not a particularly hilly or scenic route at this end but it will be fine for late December. I have friends coming for a meal tomorrow evening so I have to be back at a reasonable time and it is dark at about 16:00 anyway so I don't have time to do anything too challenging. Not many AAA points available on this one!

kapelmuur

Veteran
I'll be joining in too, for metric halves only. I think 2016 will be peak cycling for me and I don't expect to match this years points or mileage total next year.

I'm grateful to the originators of the challenge, it's a great incentive to get out and ride for someone like me who is basically lazy and a prevaricator.

One thing I wasn't happy with is turbo rides not being counted. In my experience 50km on a VR turbo is harder mentally and physically than
the same distance on the road. Any chance of reconsidering the ruling?

Sorry, wrong thread!

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I'll be having another go. It is getting compulsive now. 24 months in a row now, so I guess I'll see how long I can keep it going. One of my self-imposed targets for next year is to do more than just the bare minimum 12 centuries this time, having been the "Lanterne Rouge" for the last two years. Not quite sure how to motivate myself to do at least one superfluous ride, other than to get it out of the way as quickly as possible.

It all starts again tomorrow. Heavy rain forecast all day, but I'll take that over ice any day ... and it wouldn't be such a challenge if it all took place in mild, sunny weather. Throw in the Windrush Winter Warmer audax at the end of the month (weather permitting) and I'll have done my extra ride by the end of the month.

Good luck everyone (and keep us updated with posts on the Challenge thread every month .... it makes it all the more interesting for the rest of us to see how you are getting on and where you are going). Happy New Year.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Right, recovered a bit now. Having only completed 2 rides of 100km before today, I figured the best bet was to plan the ride in advance, rather than do it ad-hoc, so I planned a 62.2 mile route on ridewithGPS and uploaded it to the Garmin last night.
Forecast this morning was cloudy but dry until 1100hrs, then heavy rain. Set out just before 8, and sure enough it was cloudy but no rain. For about 10 minutes, after which it started raining very lightly, just not enough to warrant stopping to pop on the wet weather coat. Started out well, dutifully following the Garmin route until I got to Chertsey when I figured I'd put an extra loop in to the bridge, might mean I can skip a hill on the way home later:laugh: Well that led to adding another extra bit out to Walton, then another to Esher and so on, you get the picture. By the time I arrived back at Staines where my planned route would have me on 5 miles I'd done 31 miles:rolleyes: Now this is my usual stopping point, and if I've learnt nothing else it's that you need to manage your energy, so McD's called. Coffee and a sausage/egg McMuffin later I was back on the road, still in light rain, and off towards Eton where I did 2 laps of Eton Dorney. Back home via Windsor and Thorpe saw me back home on 63.3 miles, or 101.9km. Very surprised at my pace, I'd told SWMBO not to expect me back until 1pm, but I was back just after 12, having done the distance in under 4 hours, well pleased with that.
Roll on February, I think one of these each month will be enough for me

Top Bottom