The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
5th Feb and 8th Feb?
We have a time traveller .... he's even done two February rides already.
Thank you for noting that anomaly. I shall have to replicate those rides in February now! Duly edited.
I have used this thread to reply, as opposed to clogging up the 'ride logging' thread.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I aspire to joining the 'big boys' (like @Rickshaw Phil ) and do the imperial century challenge this year, but (for me) the challenge is getting out for long enough in reasonably benign conditions, in January and February. After that 200+km audaxes should mostly see me through. I shall try to do both challenges.
Today's ride was a club run, well mostly. The 'A' run were giving it the old 'we'll be taking it easy today, wheeze' so I took a punt with them. 75km later at 30kph average (medium hilly) I bad/waved them farewell (from behind - on a long hill) and headed south. I was under strict instructions to be back by 2pm to carve!
Back home, then with 127km + 1356m done, after 5 hours 4 minutes with 15 minutes stopped at 26+kph rolling average for the day (and 8 minutes 'in time' - 1352 :hungry:).
Toyed with the idea of lunch and then getting out for another 35km (to do 100 miles) but neither brain nor body was willing; and it also started raining minutes after I finished.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Lovely sunny 109km (with some single chevron hills) from 1130-1630 today (gave it time to warm up). Still a bit of ice around but mostly the broken sort - from puddles which had frozen hard overnight and then been driven through. A few ooh err moments. In the rush to get out of the house (in the car to start point (ready for a pick-up/lift provision at 1645)) I excelled myself forgetting things: both water bottles (pressed a 1l shop one into service); my Garmin (but had paper map) so no HR or track; my gilet (but fortunately an extra t-shirt underneath meant I was warm enough after the first 20 minutes); and bananas (carefully bought and 'aged', . . . and then left in the bowl). Normally I organise it so I minimise the time cycling into the (low) sun but a 'fail' today. After about 15km of not being able to see the verge on and off (strobe effect through hedges) this was capped off by hammering WSW for 3km on the A303 (a necessary link in my north-south passage and the alternative was blocked off by the police - assume bad accident), made more unpleasant by sun in the eyes, and in the eyes of the drivers of fast cars/lorries heading WSW on that trunk road. Building to a lovely sunset right at the end. Felt pretty strong all through, with minimal adverse effect from my first 100 miler of the year on Tuesday. 5 hours dead including 30 minutes of stops (including a Spar pasty in Martock and a coffee in Fivehead ('Community' run coffee shop - recommended)).

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was due to do my ride a while back but cancelled that one because of the ice risk. Next date was yesterday but it was wet all day and the bike that I use for longer rides doesn't have mudguards so I put it off until tomorrow, which is supposed to be dry. I just checked the latest forecast - fog all day ... aaaaaargh!

As long as the fog is not dangerously thick I WILL ride tomorrow. If not then it will just have to be Tuesday.

Assuming that I don't fall at the first hurdle then I will try to get subsequent qualifying rides done near the start of each month!

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I'm out - I was a wake at 5.30 this morning with the route all planned - hard frost in the night and roads look icy so didn't risk it. Busy for the rest of the day but may find an hour or 2 for a spin when it warms up
Got to get it in tomorrow @wicker man ; and both rainfall and temperature forecasts look OK. SE wind; fairly gentle for your neck of the (no) woods.
I WILL ride tomorrow
Tomorrow looks good, possibly starting later and carrying a light in case the sun beats you home.

iandg

Legendary Member
Got to get it in tomorrow @wicker man ; and both rainfall and temperature forecasts look OK. SE wind; fairly gentle for your neck of the (no) woods.

Tomorrow looks good, possibly starting later and carrying a light in case the sun beats you home.

Unfortunately I have to be in work - undergoing a staffing crisis and I have to get a report/action plan finished (following an inspection) by Wednesday :sad:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Given that your choice appears to be 'thin fog, turning to white cloud' on Monday or 'thin fog, turning to heavy rain' on Tuesday, I think adopting the foggy Monday might be the best option, Colin!
The forecast has improved a lot! It has gone from fog all day to a bit of mist early on. Dry, not too cold, and a bit breezy.

I am intending to do my Waddington loop solo and I don't go to cafes when riding alone so I'll see if I can get round in less than 5 hours. It isn't mega-hilly so (subject to no mechanical problems) that should be doable.

If necessary, more feeble excuses will be provided tomorrow! :laugh:

Top Bottom