The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
I forgot to mention that on the previous occasion that I tackled that route a wind picked up during the ride. With absolutely nothing to offer shelter from the wind, it became very hard-going despite the lack of hills. I saw a small group of slow-moving riders just a few hundred metres ahead of me but it took me ages to catch them. During that time one of them got tailed off the back of the group due to the effort of riding into the wind. It was ridiculous how hard we were trying yet how slow we were going.

But, @ColinJ we all know you enjoyed cycling against the wind really............

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
But, @ColinJ we all know you enjoyed cycling against the wind really............
Well, it certainly beat sitting at home watching TV ... :whistle:

When I got back to Garforth station I got chatting to a cyclist in his 80s who had done a shorter version of my ride and was going to catch the same train as me. He told me about his long life of cycling. He had been widowed very young and joined his local cycling club to help fill the void in his life. I was amazed at how much he managed to tell me in less than an hour. I felt like I had known him for years!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Can honestly say that was my toughest ride ever (excusing some of the painful rebuilding work). Storm Doris, rain and cycling along the Poole/Bournemouth coast probably not the best idea, but I got it done I the end. Ride report in the usual place in good time.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Well, it looks unlikely that I will be doing the mini-Northwest Passage after all, but Littgull has been in touch and we have decided to go and do my 100 km Garforth loop on Monday unless the weather turns really horrid.

There is about 18 km on the Trans Pennine Trail and The Lines Way which could be waterlogged and/or muddy in places at this time of year. If necessary we will have to add extra road riding on to work around any swamps! (I have mudguards on my singlespeed bike but there isn't much clearance so it doesn't take much mud to start to clog them up.)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
January was a bit of an outdoor write off for me, aside from my short commutes and rides with the rides I only got 3 rides in, although I did manage my century, too much ice early mornings at the weekend. February looks like a tough month because I am busy, but I got my century in yesterday by riding to the mother-in-laws for lunch. Icy to start, a full ford, mud on the road, and lots more on the unexpected farm track I took by accident but was too proud to turn around on. Anyway, the weather was glorious and it was great to get out after a month mainly in the gym or on Zwift.

GuyBoden

Guru
I rode my 100km for Feb today, nothing too difficult, one of my usual nice flat Cheshire rides to Catch Penny Pool and onto Redesmere.
(Plenty of Ducks and Duck feeders)
https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/osmaps/route/1042380/100km-Catch-Penny-Pool-and-Redesmere
FYV6FNIIH_kPyh5zpo2AXKVPFiLGFPO0Y64R2nk73ixoBDNNTjjPRnqqWYU7wVnd6_VH16hiXIz-9ObtKtuIO0EJtDN32eA~.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Well, it looks unlikely that I will be doing the mini-Northwest Passage after all, but Littgull has been in touch and we have decided to go and do my 100 km Garforth loop on Monday unless the weather turns really horrid.

There is about 18 km on the Trans Pennine Trail and The Lines Way which could be waterlogged and/or muddy in places at this time of year. If necessary we will have to add extra road riding on to work around any swamps! (I have mudguards on my singlespeed bike but there isn't much clearance so it doesn't take much mud to start to clog them up.)
Well, Littgull and I DID do the ride today as planned - LINK.

The forecast today: sunshine with white cloud.
My side of Ingleborough: blue sky, sunshine, a couple of puffy, white clouds.
First half an hour, round to the back of said hill: sunshine.
Next four hours: rain - and mostly not light rain either - which occasionally slackened off and turned to hail, so that was nice. (Actually, it was an improvement since at least it wasn't wet.)

To be fair, there was a solid half hour of the sunshine thing, though that was when I was going uphill through Dentdale so was relatively poorly timed as the next hour or so of, broadly, downhill was wet again.

Hmph.

GuyBoden

Guru
Another 100km ride today, before the ice forecast for tomorrow, the legs weren't at their best, but they managed the flat Cheshire ride.

More ducks on Pickmere........
PH3WAM5yfG8StrxehH8vdkMQ4uNZUf3h-77x-nL6Qm4V0PrTGFcKerdAc1l4NuN6sVg877WTNLbXkcpWzvNiQ3BvLm_cnyI~.jpg

Last edited:

GuyBoden

Guru
Yeah, I hate running out of long 15+% climbs too! :whistle: :laugh:
Yes, I remember doing a few reconnaissance rides of your "flat" Cheshire ride last year, a very nice route indeed, but my legs are still recovering............^_^

I have total respect for climbers.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Yes, I remember doing a few reconnaissance rides of your "flat" Cheshire ride last year, a very nice route indeed, but my legs are still recovering............^_^

I have total respect for climbers.....
I have just discovered that we passed Swiss Hill in Alderley Edge. It is probably a crazy idea to try and include it at the end of a 'flattish' 200 km ride but ... I am going to take a look at it to see if we can! :okay:

GuyBoden

Guru
Very windy with lots of rain here today, Feb 20th, so I decided to do some laps of my 25km loop around Arley and see how it goes. Fuelled by Cola and Mars bars, I battled against the wind on one section and enjoyed being blown along the next section. Very enjoyable day out, even if I got very wet, I did 4 loops, so that's another 100km ride for Feb.
https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/osmaps/route/1065827/16mile-Loop-Around-Arley
UM9yCClrucYxqSqhJbG5fh5zozikTZ-GLIxUJyXO3C033DjIixBcXLuR7hUjbXe5BqfGeVq5Rh1zAauQo_ccIUWvFmz2zyg~.jpg

This is where I start and end each loop.

25Km%20Loop%20Around%20Arley_zpsr7o6qk8j.png

This 25km loop around Arley is a ride that I've used since I was a teenager, variations of the ride were very popular with local riders for training (probably still are).

Top Bottom