The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It looks like the rest of you are too busy actually doing metric centuries to want to chat about them here! :laugh:

I have made the commitment this year and have been doing ok so far, but I thought that I would start planning the rest of my year to make it more likely to stick to my target, and because it is fun to do so. This is what I have come up with so far and is subject to change, but if any of you fancy joining me for any of these 100+ km rides, you would be welcome to.

Mar 4th. Littgull and I hope to do a 100 km ride from Todmorden, probably to Buckstones. Scenic/hilly.

Mar 11th. I aim to do something, but details are sketchy. Probably 100 km from Todmorden to Waddington.

Mar 25th. A 100 km ride. No details yet.

Apr 1st. My annual 100 km ride from Whalley to Glasson Dock via the Trough of Bowland. I may ride to Whalley and back from Todmorden as well and if so I will make sure that the total is 100 miles.

Apr 9th. The annual Spring Into The Dales audax from Mytholmroyd to Burnsall and back. 115 km, scenic/hilly.

Apr 22nd. A slightly modified version of the 'Calderdale 70'. My version will be 111 km, starting and finishing in Todmorden. I think Littgull will be joining me from Littleborough so you could start and finish with him from there if you prefer that. Scenic/hilly!

Apr 30th. I will be doing the 100 km ('long') version of the Tour de Yorkshire sportive starting and finishing near Sheffield. My fit Scottish cousin will start with me but drop me within 1 km and I won't see him again until the finish, so I'd like some slower company! :laugh:

May 13th. Nickyboy's 100-miler from Manchester, through Cheshire to Llandudno. Largely flat, though Littgull and I intend to take the hillier mid-ride option.

May 20th. A 100 km ride from Whalley to Wray via Cross of Greet and back over Bowland Knotts. I may ride to Whalley and back from Todmorden as well and if so I will make sure that the total is 100 miles.

May 27th. Possibly a ride to Settle and back from Todmorden. The route that I have in mind is 127 km. Very lumpy on the outward leg, but much easier on the return leg.

Jun 1st. My annual 200 km ride in Cheshire. Travel arrangements are different this year so Littgull and I may have to ride out of Manchester and back afterwards, in which case some of the original route will be removed. Alternatively we may travel to Wilmslow as usual but by train. Possibility of adding the steep cobbled climb of Swiss Hill in Alderley Edge this time!

I intend to ride to Coventry some time in June and return about a week later. It is about 215 km each way and the northern half of each route is VERY hilly. Littgull may join me for the first half of the outward leg. They would be early starts (probably 06:30-ish) to give me plenty of daylight hours without having to rush.

Jul 1st. I have pencilled this date in for my annual Yorkshire Dales ride from Settle, co-planned with @Sea of vapours. (If that date doesn't suit, it could be moved to the 15th or 22nd.) It looks like another spectacular edition. Exact route to be finalised, but it will be 100+ km and scenic/hilly!

Jul 8th. Busdennis is proposing to rerun the Humber Bridge imperial century ride on this date. I intend to take part again.

[More July rides will be planned later and I will think up some for August as well.]

Sep 3rd. I am going to be down in Devon near Newton Abbott for the first week of September so it would be great to get a 100 km Dartmoor ride in. I will probably do at least another couple of longish rides while I am down there if the weather is kind to me. [I thought it was lumpy up here, but the OS map for that area shows contour lines and chevrons aplenty!] CHANGED TO THE SUNDAY!

Sep 23rd. Nickyboy is possibly going to rerun his Leeds-Scarborough ride this year about this date. I definitely want to do that one again.

Oct 8th. The annual Season of Mists audax event from Mytholmroyd. 100km. Extremely scenic/extremely hilly!

Something in early November to get at least one 100 km ride in and take the pressure off me.

Dec 2nd. My last planned metric century of the year, hopefully before winter really sets in. An easy 'flattish' route from Todmorden to Waddington and back.

So, quite a varied year already planned and other longish rides will also be tackled.

I'll start new threads for each ride nearer the dates in question.

Last edited:
That's certainly a reasonably extreme case of annual planning, Colin

I've put the 20th May and the 1st July in my diary, the latter in metaphorical pen and the former in pencil as I'll hope to do the same as last year and meet you in the vicinity of Slaidburn.

Re my co-planning of the Dales ride on 1st July, I take it you still have my couple of possible routes then? Those ought to be very pleasing I think, if not wholly easy throughout.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That's certainly a reasonably extreme case of annual planning, Colin

I've put the 20th May and the 1st July in my diary, the latter in metaphorical pen and the former in pencil as I'll hope to do the same as last year and meet you in the vicinity of Slaidburn.

Re my co-planning of the Dales ride on 1st July, I take it you still have my couple of possible routes then? Those ought to be very pleasing I think, if not wholly easy throughout.
I am a bit of a procrastinator so it is easy for me to find reasons to put rides off and I often don't end up doing them. The ones that I do tend to stick to are the ones I mention well in advance and get other riders to come along on! :okay:

The term 'co-planning' for the July 1st ride is a bit generous to me since the route will be what you plotted, or something very close to it! :whistle:

I will have to go through them again to remind myself exactly where they went ...

It wasn't too bad really. Probably 15-20 on the tops with a few gusts of 25, but those were headwinds for the last 30km so non-optimal. What it was was very cold. Just above ice levels high up, plus windchill (my thermometer is on my wrist, so wildly misleading) - there were fringes of ice on the puddles above 350m. A very pleasant, sunny day though apart from that, which certainly makes a change. The roads are 'a bit damp' though, meaning that most hills have rivulets crossing them or running along them. Normal service of really strong winds and heavy rain due to be resumed tomorrow :-\

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just sitting outside Nick the Butchers farm shop in Hartfield digesting a splendid meal of sausage roll followed by mint magnum.

100k done. Just have to get home now and there are rather a lot of hills in the way.
You did a 100 miler the other weekend. Does that not count towards your 100k?

Top Bottom