The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've not done any, but I reckon I'd be looking at about 8 hours+ at least to start with. I quite enjoy riding in the dark on the quieter roads. The biggest issue for me is time away from the home. SWMBO works also, and someone needs to get home to the dogs which gives me 6 hours max, so I'd have to flex the ICAM rules a bit and have lunch at home...

No stretching of the rules I'm afraid. Rules is rules as they say. However, it's not that you have to tell us you stopped at home. But on your conscience be it.
If we stretch the rules for one, then others would want rules stretching too. So rules is rules as they have been since the challenge started 10 years ago.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Ah - but the risk of ice can be a bit more early on. Swings and roundabouts. Sticking to gritted roads helps.

True

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
No stretching of the rules I'm afraid. Rules is rules as they say. However, it's not that you have to tell us you stopped at home. But on your conscience be it.
If we stretch the rules for one, then others would want rules stretching too. So rules is rules as they have been since the challenge started 10 years ago.

I agree. It will just mean a bit of planning. SWMBO works locally and pops home for lunch and dog release when I'm on early shifts, so need to put in the same request when I try an imperial century^_^

Can someone explain why I cant just post a stava link for my rides? I just dont get it!

If you only do that then anyone interested in where you've been has to go to Strava and look. It's arguably bad form to oblige people to look off-site for the interesting bits. I happen to generally look at Strava links, but the whole thing is just nicer and more immediately interesting if people post a list of places visited along with the data from their ride in the thread itself. After all, reducing it to the extreme, we could just put a ful stop linked to the Strava ride for each 100km. it would do the job, but it wouldn't be exactly immediately enticing to scan through the thread!

You don't need to. You don't have to post them on this thread at all if it's too much faff.

Maybe the rules should be different for 2018. What do people think?

My view is that a thread consisting just of lists of URLs would be a bit dull.

Interesting topic, thanks for raising it. Whilst I can accept a ride report that is a url lacks content and so needs to be clicked to find out the detail, a list of places I don't know tells me nothing, so I have to click the url to obtain meaningful information. Maybe the path of least resistance is for the post to state where the ride began, and the url?? I think its important to move with the times................

Im guilty of just posting strava links and so its not suprising that I'm with @Lilliburlero here, a lot of the placenames mean nothing to me unless its someone from near to me.

Also, as I'm trying to beat my points tally from last year, my posts can get pretty long before I add placenames.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I'm with @Dogtrousers on this. I take the lead from the 'Rules' in the ICaM challenge, and that's how I post my rides. I tend not to post Strava links, but can see the value in doing so, likewise quite liking these 'Relive' things too...

GuyBoden

Guru
I'm finding that sticking to the format protocol - i.e., writing the place names and an optional link is not such a big deal, but if you struggle with typing it could be.

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Figured I should catch up on who's still in, only those with rides posted and who started in January listed

@cosmicbike
@Sea of vapours
@Dogtrousers
@Donger
@Milkfloat
@Lilliburlero
@Rickshaw Phil
@Osprey
@GuyBoden
@Goonerobes
@Ajax Bay
@Sbudge
@StuartG
@13 rider
@Cranky Knee Girl

I think it's unlikely that you've dropped out, but @ColinJ and @tallliman I couldn't fins an August ride for either of you in the thread?
Well done to all those who are still going, I know we lost @steverob through no fault of his own and hopefully he'll be back next year. The nights are drawing in and it's starting to get cooler, so that's reason enough to get your September rides in early.

Top Bottom