The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Gorgeous moon in the sky when I left the house at 6.30 this morning. Was one of those times when I wished I had woken up a couple of hours earlier and then could have enjoyed glancing up at it more frequently, rather than finding myself looking out for early commuters.
A chilly breeze too, as it was almost the end of the ride before the sun's warmth began to percolate through.

GuyBoden

Guru
First ride in Feb done, a beautiful day, but a bit more wind than I'd have liked. A lot more cyclists out today compared to last Fri, the weather is improving............

Didn't see you @Bazzer

Bazzer

First ride in Feb done, a beautiful day, but a bit more wind than I'd have liked. A lot more cyclists out today compared to last Fri, the weather is improving............

Didn't see you @Bazzer

Only saw two cyclists all the time I was out. One who scalped me climbing up the steep bit from Frodsham, where the road splits. And then from Glazebrook to Culcheth, where the rider was clearly enjoying the wind behind him too much for my liking.;) Talk about rubbing salt into the wound; as you have almost 50 miles in your legs and are cycling pretty much into a head wind.:rolleyes::laugh:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes, it was a lovely day today. I got my February ride in early and chose a much nicer route than my miserable January one earlier in the week. The price to pay was 1,950 metres of ascent instead of the 950 metres of the earlier ride. I could really feel the lack of riding in December and January and was pretty knackered by the time I got home.

Brian (Littgull) and I met up in Todmorden and then rode up the A646 as far as Walk Mill. That was the end of serious traffic for a long while. We took the quieter, but lumpy route to Oxenhope: Southward Bottom, Mereclough, Worsthorne, Haggate, Coldwell, Clarion House, Trawden, Laneshaw Bridge, Scar Top, Stanbury, Haworth, Penistone Hill, Oxenhope.

From Oxenhope we climbed up through Leeming to the Dog & Gun at Sawood. A left turn up Trough Lane took us to Manywells Height, after which a rapid descent took us down into Cullingworth. We took the splendid cycle path over Hewenden viaduct and then up Station Rd to Harecroft. A quick blast down the B6144 took us to Wilsden for a cafe stop. We met pals Carrie and Kevin there for a chat and refuelling.

After a quick tour of Wilsden, the 4 of us climbed back up to the B6144 and then headed back over to Manywells Height by some nice lanes I checked out on my previous ride out there. We headed down to Oxenhope, where Kevin left us. Carrie and Brian climbed away from me and I didn't see them again until Hebden Bridge, where Carrie said her farewells.

Brian and I had toyed with riding to Littleborough via "England's longest continuous uphill gradient" (a.k.a. the Cragg Vale climb) but decided that we'd had enough climbing and chose the nasty A-road route - A646 to Todmorden, A6033 to Littleborough. Unfortunately due to how slowly I had been riding today we hit the Friday evening rush hour traffic so we opted to climb away from the main road and bypass Tod centre by going up Woodhouse Rd to Lumbutts and over to Shade. We stayed off the main road by taking Hollins Rd to Walsden but then had to rejoin the wretched traffic on the A6033. I accompanied Brian as far as I needed to to get my distance in for the day, then u-turned and headed for home.

I was 1.5 km short when I got back so I did a couple of local loops to clock up the '100'

About 25 kms in heavy traffic this time - still too much, but a lot better than Tuesday's ride!

Most of the drivers I encountered were competent, friendly and patient. As usual though, there were a few idiots. One insisted on overtaking me on a descent with a 20 mph speed limit, on which I was doing 23 mph (sorry!). He was doing about 40 mph and stayed on my side of the road, thus cutting me up in a very scary fashion. As he went by he gesticulated at me as if to say "Look how dangerously you made me overtake you!" ... :wacko:

Title of 'Idiot Driver Of The Week (So Far)', however, goes to the man who decided that he would overtake a string of 5 cars straight at me on a narrow road ... The other drivers could see the danger and were sounding their horns. He was clearly of the opinion that they were upset that I was in his way so he started blasting me too. I gave him a little wave that suggested it would be better if he squeezed into the car-plus-1-metre gap between me and the other oncoming traffic. He reluctantly did so but mouthed obscenities at me as he shot past. Why had I not disappeared into a parallel universe to ease his passage? Why did I give him such a fright! Did I know how close I had come to damaging his car! What kind of fool rides bicycles on public roads designed for cars! [Insert alternative ridiculous suggestions here ...]

Anyway ... That's my Feb ride done. EXACTLY 100 km. And now ... I am going to have a nap! :laugh:

Only saw two cyclists all the time I was out. One who scalped me climbing up the steep bit from Frodsham, where the road splits. And then from Glazebrook to Culcheth, where the rider was clearly enjoying the wind behind him too much for my liking.;) Talk about rubbing salt into the wound; as you have almost 50 miles in your legs and are cycling pretty much into a head wind.:rolleyes::laugh:

Yep, the wind is just mean right now. Yesterday's ride was 3 hours of hills then 2 hours into a 15mph headwind, all at 1 degree. I really enjoyed it .... once I was home and in the shower.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1391616382

BTW, the new Relive 'Explore' beta is good fun if you can look at it on a PC/Mac screen:-
https://www.relive.cc/view/1391616382/explore

Last edited:
Most of the drivers I encountered were competent, friendly and patient. As usual though, there were a few idiots. One insisted on overtaking me on a descent with a 20 mph speed limit, on which I was doing 23 mph (sorry!). He was doing about 40 mph and stayed on my side of the road, thus cutting me up in a very scary fashion. As he went by he gesticulated at me as if to say "Look how dangerously you made me overtake you!" ... :wacko:

I had a similar idiot (with a twist) on Sunday. Mini Cooper S was in a hurry on a fairly narrow, but 2 lane, country lane. Fair do's, the driver gave me loads of room while passing however they got so close to the line of cars coming the other way that I was just waiting for the 'bang'...I really don't know how they missed. Needless to say the oncoming traffic was not amused.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Keeping a close eye on the weather forecasts. I have a club ride around the Western parts of Gloucestershire tomorrow, stopping off for coffee and cakes at the Trioscape Garden Centre near Highleadon,. I'm very tempted to stay with the club ride until just after that, then turn left for the Malverns when we get near Staunton instead of following the others home. Should be able to get enough miles in if I carry on to Hanley Swan and Upton on Severn before turning for home. The potential fly in the ointment is a forecast of light snow for Sunday. Chilly I can cope with .... slippery is a different matter. Might have to be spontaneous and head back towards Gloucester if it looks dodgy and improvise some additional miles closer to home.

Hoping to do this route: https://www.strava.com/routes/11904661 . Fingers crossed.

Elysian_Roads

Was indecisive about going out today, but conscious that I only have a couple of weekends a month at this time of year to get any longer rides in. Didn't fancy going out on the road bike so opted for the mountain bike, with a view to the ride being slow and steady, and trying to at least bag an imperial fifty.

I waited for the frost to clear, but in retrospect should have gone out a bit sooner, as not long into the ride it started to rain. So a generally cold and wet ride.

The route was random, but in the general direction of Streatley, and the eastern end of the cycle friendly part of the Ridgeway, as plan to do some riding along it later in the year, and thought I would go have a look. The upshot was the mileage crept up to a point I would get home in the mid fifties, so just decided to push on and get the metric 100.

So overall a warm glow of accomplishment, offset by the nagging feeling I should really get outside and clean the bike.^_^:sad:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Same boat as @Dogtrousers , need to find space for the metric and imperial challenge rides. Might end up a very early, or maybe night ride for one of them..

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I love it when a plan comes together. As planned, I hi-jacked the club ride out to Churcham and Newent by using it as a slingshot for somewhere in the general direction of the Malverns. As I got out a few minutes early this morning, I threw in a little local loop before the start of the club ride, and that meant I didn't have to go quite as far to the North into Worcestershire. After our coffee stop a couple of others opted to come with me. One of them quickly got the hook when his wife phoned to ask where he was, but my mate Rich (who is training for a LE-JOG) stuck with me for the duration. Got as far as Welland before turning right for Upton on Severn. Then back to Gloucester via Forthampton and Ashleworth. The weather was better than expected ... some sleet and later on a bit of hail, but never felt cold, and it was mostly sunny and dry. Job done. 102.2 km.
13 February Ton - Job done..JPG

Bazzer

Decided this morning to go for the shorter of two routes I have through former Lancashire mill towns and was quite glad I did. Left home at 6.30 in a hard frost and it was not until 80 kms in, on the return through Bury at around 11, that I began to feel that the sun was providing some warmth.
Planned a toilet and feed stop at the top of the hill between Todmorden and Bacup. Whilst this can be a welcome stop over point after the slog up the hill, where I find a skirmish ensues between legs and lungs on one side and on the other side, brain,which knows what is coming up and eyes which see how many gears are left, today was not one of those days.

A bit bleak and cold:
IMG_20180216_0946134251_zpsuy76mly1.jpg

IMG_20180216_0946238781_zpsdoma9vmo.jpg

Managed to get half way through my snack, before deciding I'll eat the rest at the bottom of the hill.
IMG_20180216_0947361511_zpsp1wfcth1.jpg

On the positive side, I should hit my year's first 1000 miles this week. Probably commuting Wednesday all being well as I don't think I'll be out on Sunday. That will be the earliest in the year I have managed it. :smile:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Oooh. I've just discovered something exciting. My metric Eddington number is now 100.

Your metric Eddington Number is 100
You need to do 1 ride(s) of at least 101 to increase it to 101.
You need to do 9 ride(s) of at least 102 to increase it to 102.
You need to do 12 ride(s) of at least 103 to increase it to 103.
You need to do 20 ride(s) of at least 105 to increase it to 105.
You need to do 36 ride(s) of at least 110 to increase it to 110.
You need to do 93 ride(s) of at least 150 to increase it to 150.
You need to do 190 ride(s) of at least 200 to increase it to 200.
Well done:bravo:

Top Bottom