The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
February's ride completed, though only by the barest of margins - hit 100km literally meters from my front door! One of the scenic detours I was planning on taking on my route home wasn't possible, as they were digging up the water mains and had closed the road, meaning the route home ended up being a lot more direct than originally planned.

However, was incredibly happy with the ride itself. Went up to Silverstone motor racing circuit, which was the furthest north I've ever cycled, if you only include rides that I've done starting and finishing at my home and also did not involve me hopping on a train or getting a lift at some point (e.g. ones all done under my own steam). Also it was quite fast for me at over 14.6mph average - haven't done a ride over 50 miles at that speed for almost 8 months.

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
A slight altercation with the tarmac last week cast some doubt on todays ride but it was such a pleasant day weather wise it seemed a shame not to, so after a couple of pain killers I was off on the summer bike just after 10am.

There were still some chilly spots in the shade & a slight sheen on some roads so caution was in order until around midday.

The route itself took in the counties of Hampshire, Dorset & Wiltshire for the 102km duration & was completed with little drama except for going over one pothole which caused my handlebars to shift a little.

All in all a nice day out.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
However, was incredibly happy with the ride itself. Went up to Silverstone motor racing circuit, which was the furthest north I've ever cycled, if you only include rides that I've done starting and finishing at my home and also did not involve me hopping on a train or getting a lift at some point (e.g. ones all done under my own steam). Also it was quite fast for me at over 14.6mph average - haven't done a ride over 50 miles at that speed for almost 8 months.
My sister used to live in nearby Towcester so I have ridden round there a few times. I even rode a charity event on the circuit itself a few years back.

It is worth going even further NW. I like the roads around Priors Marston and Napton-on-the-Hill.

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
February`s ride ticked off today with a 100 miler and being that I already have my February imperial qualifying ride in, I`ll pop it in here. Out the house just after 6am for a few miles before meeting up with 4 others at 7am for a nice and steady social. A couple of the lads rode 50 miles and the other two rode 80 miles with me, which was a great help. Made it back home for 1pm, which was nice :smile: https://www.relive.cc/view/1413772472

13 rider

Guru
On Saturday I rode down to Biggin Hill for the Hell of the Ashdown, "Kent's Premier Cycle" Sportive. On arrival I found no one there. Bugger, wrong day. So I went home.

Today I rode down to Biggin Hill for the Hell of the Ashdown, blah blah blah. Right day this time. I've had a tremendous day out on the bike. I positively zoomed round the 107km course in 5:44 - that's 19kmh, as opposed to my recent solo trundles on that route, which have degenerated into painful grinding much more slowly. It has just under 2,000m of climb, and I'm familiar with them all. Knowing what's coming isn't always a good thing.

Contrary to the usual Sportive tropes, everyone I met was really friendly, I saw zero instances of people riding like plonkers. The food at the feed stations was real, plentiful and included in the £30 price. Why pay to ride on roads that I can ride for free? Because it makes a great change, is a lot of fun, and even a surly git like me gets to meet some interesting people.

My knees now hurt like hell.
A like for the ride not the sore knee . Sportives make a nice change to the routine I try and do 1 a year along with a couple of local charity rides . It surprising how riding with other people around increases you speed

GuyBoden

Guru
Very pleasant , if a bit windy, slow cycle to Nantwich via Oulton Park. Nice dry day, with a bit of blue sky showing in the afternoon. 108km, so my longest ride of the year, so far. My 1989 Raleigh winter bike is running nicely with a new cassette, chain and dérailleur, but the old canti brakes aren't the best, even with new red brake blocks.

Sounds much like here. Why can't just one day this winter both appear nice in advance and turn out to actually be so, in all respects once out? (Rhetorical question!) Today was spot on apart from the wind which was an awful lot stronger than forecast. I hardly ever modify routes after leaving home but on this occasion I turned back at the top of the Buttertubs pass (solid 25mph headwind with much stronger gusts there - I was barely moving, even on the fairly flat top section) and completed the 100km by heading downwind for over 50km, to the top of the Bowland Knotts, and rolling back down into said wind.

Very little snow left around here now though, and quite an abundance of snow drops, so that's all rather nice, and whilst the wind was very annoying indeed, it was otherwise an excellent afternoon's pedalling.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Well the so called 'Beast From The East' made itself known to me today. Bitter cold throughout the whole ride, I struggled to get warm even with thermal layers on, and my pace was down somewhat. On the plus side, I made it. Managed 15 metres/mile of climbing too, 50% more than what i consider normal on my rides.
Glad to get that one in the bag, and really looking forwards to some warmer weather now.

February's ride completed, though only by the barest of margins - hit 100km literally meters from my front door! One of the scenic detours I was planning on taking on my route home wasn't possible, as they were digging up the water mains and had closed the road, meaning the route home ended up being a lot more direct than originally planned.

I always add a bit extra just in case after one ride when Mr Garmin said 100.1km but Mr Strava then said it was only 99.8km :-)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well the so called 'Beast From The East' made itself known to me today. Bitter cold throughout the whole ride, I struggled to get warm even with thermal layers on, and my pace was down somewhat. On the plus side, I made it. Managed 15 metres/mile of climbing too, 50% more than what i consider normal on my rides.
Glad to get that one in the bag, and really looking forwards to some warmer weather now.
Well done.

Yes - there was a bitterly cold wind today. I only nipped out on my singlespeed bike to pick up a paper so I didn't bother wearing gloves. By the time I got home my fingers were numb!

GuyBoden

Guru
I thought I'd better get out for another 100km ride before next weeks big freeze, it wasn't too cold in Cheshire, nice empty country roads, plenty of muck spreaders on the fields that you could smell for miles.

Edit: (Tip: if it looks cold outside, don't set off until after 10am, it will be a bit warmer.)

Last edited:

Elysian_Roads

I thought I'd better get out for another 100km ride before next weeks big freeze, it wasn't too cold in Cheshire, nice empty country roads, plenty of muck spreaders on the fields that you could smell for miles.

Edit: (Tip: if it looks cold outside, don't set off until after 10am, it will be a bit warmer.)
"Edit: (Tip: if it looks cold outside, don't set off until after 10am, it will be a bit warmer)." But do remember that the warmer weather following that later start may bring rain, as early as 5km into a 100km ride ..... DAMHIKT:rain:

steverob

Guru
I always add a bit extra just in case after one ride when Mr Garmin said 100.1km but Mr Strava then said it was only 99.8km :-)
The good news is Strava have stopped doing this (recently). They now take your GPS's distance as gospel, then offer you the chance to "correct" it to Strava's calculation, much in the same way they have always done for elevation.

Having said that, I somehow used to tend to get a more generous interpretation of my distance from Strava than I did from Garmin - maybe I was just lucky!

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Down and out.

Get your rides in early in the month, I didn't and crashed last Tuesday on bike path coming home from gym. Bounced off another cyclist (my right arm very bruised) on bend (he was ok, no blood and he continued ride). Face planted left, afternoon in A&E nothing broken, 12 stitches round left eye they came out today and I should be ok for a gentle ride to yoga tomorrow but not 100km. Finger still bandaged up.

25 month streak broken :rolleyes: It was a gorgeous dry sunny afternoon on a bike path :rolleyes:

Top Bottom