The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Get well soon @Cranky Knee Girl!! Glad nothing's broken! Is the bike ok too?
Commuter bike is fine, ridden it gingerly yesterday/today and managed some pilates. So relieved/lucky nothing broken!

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Back on it. I'll carry on posting to make sure I don't give up, I hope nobody minds!

Great but tough day out at the Wells and Mells and Old Rail Trail Audax yesterday from Whitchurch, Somerset. Drizzly, warmish but a stiff southerly. The organiser, Will, tags his rides #wills_hills and he doesn't lie. Did the same ride last year. was determined to get up King Alfred's monument at Stourhead (Dorset) but didn't quite, the last bend had me :rolleyes: Was chuffed to bits to get up Wollard Lane right at the end, nasty horrible blighter, failed that too last year so pleased I improved somewhere. That would be month 27 if I hadn't mucked up 26 :eek: but I did do two end of month 25 :whistle: :rolleyes:^_^

Katherine

Guru
I can't believe that I have already done 4 metric centries, this year! Despite the weather. They have all been enjoyable but very hard work. I wouldn't have been able to do them without my winter boots, wish I'd bought them years ago, I'm sure they are a good investment.
Also, I have been very glad of the support of riding in a group. last winter I was leading most of the shorter A group rides which helped with the half century challenge but luckily this year we have a couple more members willing to take the rides out allowing me to go on the middle distance B rides, even leading them, though a lot of the time I am calling out the turns from the middle or back!

Yeah, I'm still in....Will update in due course.

@Katherine, winter boots are easily my best purchase too. So much easier and warmer than overshoes.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
An eek from me too. My first choice audax was postponed due to snow the other week, and I'm due to do an alternative one this weekend. Cue my old lower back spasm problem! Can barely stand up at the moment. Might sleep on the floor tonight. Determined not to give in easily. May end up using another club ride later in the month as a slingshot again to travel a bit further afield and turn a 40 into a 62 miler.

GuyBoden

Guru
Very windy today, I struggled around a 100km loop, everytime I headed into a strong wind I was at virtual walking pace. Tatton park still looked nice though, Anderton Boat lift hadn't blown away and Acton Bridge was functioning fine. I even had time to visit Lewis Carroll's birth site again, the gardeners have given it a good winter trim and there are a few wild rabbits making plenty of holes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Weather forecast for Saturday is quite nasty, so I'm thinking of activating plan B.
It is looking very iffy for Saturday, which is bad news because my Leighton Buzzard ride is planned for 09:00! I will be really peeved if it can't go ahead, having brought my bike all the way down from Todmorden.

I have another long ride planned for the following Saturday, which is my plan B.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Looks certain I won't make it on Saturday. After three nights of sleeping on the floor, my back is improving slightly, but I've got another day at my desk to get through tomorrow, followed by an evening on cheap plastic chairs in a town hall (we have tickets for Catherine Ryan at Cheltenham Town Hall). No chance of completely banishing my back spasms before the Character Coln audax, then. My mate Rich (who I talked into doing it with me) might now be doing it alone. I'm feeling slightly guilty as he suffers from the cold and was once shaking so much at the end of one of these winter audaxes that he was unable to sign the brevet card! The last one we started together, I lasted just 2km before suffering a mechanical that forced me out. My name is now mud.

Elysian_Roads

Looks certain I won't make it on Saturday. After three nights of sleeping on the floor, my back is improving slightly, but I've got another day at my desk to get through tomorrow, followed by an evening on cheap plastic chairs in a town hall (we have tickets for Catherine Ryan at Cheltenham Town Hall). No chance of completely banishing my back spasms before the Character Coln audax, then. My mate Rich (who I talked into doing it with me) might now be doing it alone. I'm feeling slightly guilty as he suffers from the cold and was once shaking so much at the end of one of these winter audaxes that he was unable to sign the brevet card! The last one we started together, I lasted just 2km before suffering a mechanical that forced me out. My name is now mud.
Hope the back recovers soon.

Top Bottom