The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
Weather forecast for Saturday is quite nasty, so I'm thinking of activating plan B. Provided it's open I may head off to the Lee Valley Velopark thingy and ride their flat(ish), traffic and junction free, 1 mile outdoor circuit for a bit. I should be able to get 50-odd km done in a couple of hours, which will test my boredom limits. Then I'll try to make up the balance on various London roads.

I think you should manage 50km quite easily - I only started getting bored after about an hour when I did it back in February and that was really only because for most of the time, I was the only rider on the track (did it on a midweek afternoon). Probably would have gone on for longer had there been someone to chase down or try to keep pace with. Still ended up doing about 20 laps in the end.

Last edited:

steverob

Guru
It is looking very iffy for Saturday, which is bad news because my Leighton Buzzard ride is planned for 09:00! I will be really peeved if it can't go ahead, having brought my bike all the way down from Todmorden.

Yeah, it's really not looking good now - and the forecast is getting worse with each update. Yet while going to the station this morning, it was mild, bright, only slightly breezy, and although the roads were a little damp from overnight rain, it was otherwise dry - why couldn't have those conditions held off for another 24 hours!

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I'm glad to get this month's ride completed. The way the month had gone so far, I was beginning to wonder where I had left the worry beads.
Sportive banker at the beginning of the month was cancelled due to bad weather. Then had to pull out of a lumpy 85 miler with some fellow CCers, as for the last 10 days or so, have been hit with the worst cold and chest infection I have had for many years. Added to that, the weather forecast is looking grim for this weekend. So despite the remnants of the infection and not having ridden at all for over 10 days and even longer for >50k, took a chance that with some careful management, legs and lungs would get me the distance. Average moving speed down a bit, but I don't care.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yeah, it's really not looking good now - and the forecast is getting worse with each update. Yet while going to the station this morning, it was mild, bright, only slightly breezy, and although the roads were a little damp from overnight rain, it was otherwise dry - why couldn't have those conditions held off for another 24 hours!
Just arrived in lovely sunny conditions and was thinking exactly the same thing!

13 rider

Guru
Done. Well, at least, I'm claiming it, purists may object.

I set off into the snow, and it really wasn't bad. The road surfaces were good, the snow was dry and it wasn't too cold. My plan was to aimlessly loop round the suburbs, so I could always get to a station if the weather got really bad. I realised I'd forgotten my phone, so I looped back home to pick it up at the 25k point. That alone would be enough to disqualify me from the imperial century a month challenge, but worse was to come. After 40k or so I thought I'd see what things were like outside the conurbation, so I rode up to the North Downs ridge at Titsey. Bad move.

As I rode the snow changed from fluffy flakes to little icy crystals, the temperature dropped and the wind picked up. I stopped for a snack and a swig from my (frozen) water bottle and headed back from the ridge, right into the wind. I had to pedal downhill at times. Then things started to go wrong with my bike: gears, rear brake and front mech all started playing up. This turned out to be due to a thick accumulation of ice on all of the bottom of the bike - and on my boots! The descent from Titsey to Bromley via Biggin Hill is normally a fast one, but this was hard work. There was ice all over the bike , and my feet and hands were frozen.

I popped into the station at Bromley South for a hot drink. 77k done. Once I'd thawed my numb hands I phoned my wife and by a bizarre coincidence she was standing a few metres away, having popped out to do some shopping. We took the train home together, and the ice from my bike melted into a huge puddle on the train floor. At home I thawed my feet and hands, put on some dry socks, and then set out for a final 25k loop which I completed without incident.

102k done. Two visits to home. A train section, and a change of socks. I'm still claiming it :boxing:
View attachment 400413
Well done :notworthy: sounds an interesting day out !! .I'd be claiming it as well

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

I set off into the snow, and it really wasn't bad. The road surfaces were good, the snow was dry and it wasn't too cold. My plan was to aimlessly loop round the suburbs, so I could always get to a station if the weather got really bad. I realised I'd forgotten my phone, so I looped back home to pick it up at the 25k point. That alone would be enough to disqualify me from the imperial century a month challenge, but worse was to come. After 40k or so I thought I'd see what things were like outside the conurbation, so I rode up to the North Downs ridge at Titsey. Bad move.

As I rode the snow changed from fluffy flakes to little icy crystals, the temperature dropped and the wind picked up. I stopped for a snack and a swig from my (frozen) water bottle and headed back from the ridge, right into the wind. I had to pedal downhill at times. Then things started to go wrong with my bike: gears, rear brake and front mech all started playing up. This turned out to be due to a thick accumulation of ice on all of the bottom of the bike - and on my boots! The descent from Titsey to Bromley via Biggin Hill is normally a fast one, but this was hard work. There was ice all over the bike , and my feet and hands were frozen.

I popped into the station at Bromley South for a hot drink. 77k done. Once I'd thawed my numb hands I phoned my wife and by a bizarre coincidence she was standing a few metres away, having popped out to do some shopping. We took the train home together, and the ice from my bike melted into a huge puddle on the train floor. At home I thawed my feet and hands, put on some dry socks, and then set out for a final 25k loop which I completed without incident.

102k done. Two visits to home. A train section, and a change of socks. I'm still claiming it :boxing:
View attachment 400413

Well done. I'd toyed briefly with the idea of a 50k to loosen my legs after yesterday's ride, but decided against it because of the biting wind and blustery snow. So kudos for your effort.

Last edited:

steverob

Guru

That ride would still totally count in my opinion, even if it HADN'T been done in such horrendous conditions. Chapeau to you for even attempting that today, let alone succeeding!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....

View attachment 400413

Don't you know the ROOOLES!!! No way can you count that...:stop::stop:

Just kidding, fair play for getting back on a bike after the train ride and like others, I'd be claiming it too:okay:

March thoroughly done. That ride featured the highly unusual sight, at least for the UK, of several kilometres of dry road flanked by metre high banks of snow, sharply cut by ploughs; thoroughly novel and very pretty. There's still a fair bit of snow against the dry stone walls up high so the landscape was looking particularly splendid throughout, in the spring sunshine.

There was an element of jeopardy to that ride too. There's a cattle grid being replaced in a rather inaccessible place (at the top of the second really sharp peak on the elevation profile, at about the half way point of the ride, for anyone looking at Strava). The road is 'closed to vehicles' for six weeks (!). Fortunately, it's passable on foot since, had it not been, the detour is approximately 30km and a couple of distinct hills, in either direction. I would have been at least mildly peeved, had it proved impassable, since I'd have been turning around straight after having gained about 200m altitude on the 10-15% slope up from Arncliffe.

What a lovely day for the first of spring. It would be nice to imagine that it might last.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I generally say, often out loud: "How closed?" when I see a sign like that when I'm riding. The answer is generally "not very". Although I did once end up with a big self imposed detour when it turned out that the road was closed because a bridge was not there. I could've swum I suppose.
I also tend to question then ignore those signs, but sometimes ... :whistle:
... I was riding to the start of an audax event. I had planned to use a small lane from Milnrow which eventually came out near event HQ in Rochdale and which would save me riding down some busy A-roads which I would be riding along shortly on the event itself.

Road Closed!

Not for Intrepid Cycling Man, it wasn't! I continued past the huge sign. And then the even bigger sign. I even did some extreme cyclocross to get my bike up over a 4 ft diameter concrete pipe laid across the road.

And then I came to an 8 ft high fence across the road!

Beyond it lay a vast area of devastation with heavy earth-moving plant in operation. I found out later that they were building a new junction for the M62, a new A-road to link to it, and lots of new business premises.

Ok ... ROAD CLOSED! :okay:
On one of my forum rides we came to a road closure which we ignored. We proceeded a few hundred yards but then discovered that a section of the road was no longer there. In its place was a hole so big that it looked like a massive IED had gone off under the road! We had to shoulder our bikes cyclocross-stylee and clamber up a muddy slope to get round it. I'll see if I can find one of the photos of it ... Ah, here is one taken by @potsy:

off-road-2-jpg.jpg

So do I, and I have also only been actually turned back by a [largely] missing bridge. It's still a little concerning though, and that cattle grid is in a quite spectacularly awkward place, as @ColinJ can confirm.
It would have been the mother of all detours if you'd had to turn back. Not quite on a 'Connel Bridge closure' scale***, but still not what you'd want to do!

*** It involves a 140 km diversion to get 0.2 km!

Connel Bridge closure.gif

Top Bottom