The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Discussion in 'CycleChat Monthly Challenges' started by ColinJ, 8 Feb 2012.

1. OP
    OP
    ColinJ

ColinJ A big clot!

I hope it does too. And that your poor mate survives his wintry ride and forgives you once he thaws out! :whistle:

Donger and Dogtrousers like this.
  2. steverob

steverob Über Member

I think you should manage 50km quite easily - I only started getting bored after about an hour when I did it back in February and that was really only because for most of the time, I was the only rider on the track (did it on a midweek afternoon). Probably would have gone on for longer had there been someone to chase down or try to keep pace with. Still ended up doing about 20 laps in the end.

Last edited: 16 Mar 2018
  3. steverob

steverob Über Member

Yeah, it's really not looking good now - and the forecast is getting worse with each update. Yet while going to the station this morning, it was mild, bright, only slightly breezy, and although the roads were a little damp from overnight rain, it was otherwise dry - why couldn't have those conditions held off for another 24 hours!

Katherine and Elysian_Roads like this.
  4. Bazzer

Bazzer Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

I'm glad to get this month's ride completed. The way the month had gone so far, I was beginning to wonder where I had left the worry beads.
    Sportive banker at the beginning of the month was cancelled due to bad weather. Then had to pull out of a lumpy 85 miler with some fellow CCers, as for the last 10 days or so, have been hit with the worst cold and chest infection I have had for many years. Added to that, the weather forecast is looking grim for this weekend. So despite the remnants of the infection and not having ridden at all for over 10 days and even longer for >50k, took a chance that with some careful management, legs and lungs would get me the distance. Average moving speed down a bit, but I don't care.

5. OP
    OP
    ColinJ

ColinJ A big clot!

Just arrived in lovely sunny conditions and was thinking exactly the same thing!

Katherine, Elysian_Roads and Donger like this.
  6. 13 rider

13 rider Veteran

Well done :notworthy: sounds an interesting day out !! .I'd be claiming it as well

7. Bazzer

Bazzer Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

Well done. I'd toyed briefly with the idea of a 50k to loosen my legs after yesterday's ride, but decided against it because of the biting wind and blustery snow. So kudos for your effort.

Last edited: 17 Mar 2018
    Dogtrousers and Elysian_Roads like this.
  8. steverob

steverob Über Member

That ride would still totally count in my opinion, even if it HADN'T been done in such horrendous conditions. Chapeau to you for even attempting that today, let alone succeeding!

9. tallliman

tallliman Über Member

I'm also happy with that ride counting, quite an epic adventure!! Ultimately, you think it counts, so it counts!

10. cosmicbike

cosmicbike Perhaps This One..... Moderator

Don't you know the ROOOLES!!! No way can you count that...:stop::stop:

Just kidding, fair play for getting back on a bike after the train ride and like others, I'd be claiming it too:okay:

Dogtrousers likes this.
  11. Katherine

Katherine Guru Moderator

Dogtrousers likes this.
  12. Donger

Donger Convoi Exceptionnel

Nice one @Dogtrousers . I shall think of you as "Iceman" from now on. Sterling effort.

13. GuyBoden

GuyBoden Fat, old bloke, on an old bike, pedalling slowly.

Last edited: 20 Mar 2018
  14. Sea of vapours

Sea of vapours Über Member

March thoroughly done. That ride featured the highly unusual sight, at least for the UK, of several kilometres of dry road flanked by metre high banks of snow, sharply cut by ploughs; thoroughly novel and very pretty. There's still a fair bit of snow against the dry stone walls up high so the landscape was looking particularly splendid throughout, in the spring sunshine.

There was an element of jeopardy to that ride too. There's a cattle grid being replaced in a rather inaccessible place (at the top of the second really sharp peak on the elevation profile, at about the half way point of the ride, for anyone looking at Strava). The road is 'closed to vehicles' for six weeks (!). Fortunately, it's passable on foot since, had it not been, the detour is approximately 30km and a couple of distinct hills, in either direction. I would have been at least mildly peeved, had it proved impassable, since I'd have been turning around straight after having gained about 200m altitude on the 10-15% slope up from Arncliffe.

What a lovely day for the first of spring. It would be nice to imagine that it might last.

15. Sea of vapours

Sea of vapours Über Member

So do I, and I have also only been actually turned back by a [largely] missing bridge. It's still a little concerning though, and that cattle grid is in a quite spectacularly awkward place, as @ColinJ can confirm.

ColinJ likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice