Todmorden/Whalley-Conder Green (near Glasson Dock), 100 miles/100km, Sat 24th Mar 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My annual scenic forum ride to Conder Green (near Glasson Dock) will take place on Saturday 24th March. It is a week or two earlier than usual because Easter is at the end of March this year, and the following weekend is reserved for 'Spring Into the Dales', a fine local audax event which I like to take part in. NB I reserve the right to put the ride back a day to the 25th if we get the situation we had in 2016 - horrid weather on the Saturday, fine weather on the Sunday.

I will be riding to Whalley from Todmorden and back again afterwards. The route from Whalley will be a 'long' metric century (108 km/67 miles) and from Todmorden an imperial century (100 miles/161 km). You can choose which variation you would prefer to do.

There are 2 obvious routes from Whalley to our cafe stop - via Longridge Fell or via the Trough of Bowland. We did the Fell route last year so let's do the Trough route this time.

Map:
Whalley - Conder Green route 2018.png

The route is undulating. That is - it is not super-hard, but it is by no means flat. You would need to be confident of coping with a rolling route with a few stiff climbs and averaging a 'reasonable speed'***.

Profile:
Whalley - Conder Green profile 2018.gif

The route takes in the glorious Trough of Bowland. From the summit, it is mainly downhill to our stop at Cafe d'Lune, Conder Green, on the Lune estuary. We will return to Whalley via Longridge, Ribchester and Billington.

I have introduced a couple of small changes to the route we did in 2016 to add the extra distance required for those of us doing the imperial century. We will bypass Whitewell and take a scenic lane past the Wild Boar farm, near Chipping. On the return leg, we will add a few km on near Inglewhite. I have marked those with green circles on the route map.

I have attached a GPX file of the loop from Whalley.

If you are riding from Whalley, make sure you arrive at Spring Wood picnic centre car park off the A671 above Whalley [MAP] by 09:20 with a view to setting off at 09:30 or ASAP after that once the imperialists arrive. If you are late, we may have already set off so you would have to chase after us using your GPS or a map for guidance ... i.e. DON'T BE LATE! Note that there is a 2 metre height restriction on the car park and they now have a pay & display machine. Last time I was there it was only £1, but bring a bit more change just in case.

Usual CycleChat forum ride rules apply - nobody left behind (IF YOU ARRIVE ON TIME TO SET OFF WITH US, OTHERWISE YOU MIGHT BE!), wait at the top of hills for others in your group. The rides are not fast and are more about chatting, laughing and scenery, so don't come if you are desperate to average more than (say) 16-19 kph (10-12 mph).

If you are riding from Todmorden, meet beside Tod Chippy opposite the free Dalton Street car park at 07:55, aiming to set off at 08:00. If you are coming in by train, follow the green arrow.

View attachment 344822

This is the extra section between Todmorden and Whalley, to be done both ways by the 100 mile riders. The climbing on the way out is mainly long drags but coming back there are a couple of tougher sections (the Old Roman Road towards Read and Rossendale Rd up to the Manchester Rd TL). NOTE This map had been zoomed into more than the map for the main loop!

We take the Padiham Greenway from Rose Grove to Padiham to get us away from the traffic for a while. For the same reason we take the more difficult scenic route from Padiham to Spring Wood on the Old Roman Rd through Read.

Tod to Spring wood route and profile.gif

If you are doing the 100 mile version, bring lights in case of unexpected delays. We will return on well-lit roads so small 'be-seen-by' lights should be adequate.

Express interest below ... (if you ARE interested! :okay:)

100 mile riders from Todmorden:
  • ColinJ
  • @Littgull
  • Bill? (non-CycleChat pal of ColinJ)
108 km riders from Spring Wood, Whalley:
  • @rusty bearing (if ride takes place on 24th, as planned)
  • Carrie and Kevin (non-CycleChat pals of ColinJ)
Guest appearances:
  • @Domus at the cafe stop? (If the timing is right)

*** My definition of 'reasonable speed' is one that means I can expect to get home in daylight (or shortly after sunset). Sunset is at about 18:30 that day (the clocks will not yet have gone forward). It takes roughly 1.5 hours for me to ride from Todmorden to Whalley (or back). If I set off from Tod at 08:00 then I would get to (Spring Wood picnic centre) Whalley at about 09:30 and we should get on our way ASAP after that. I need to be setting off for home by 17:00. That leaves 7.5 hours for the 108 km loop. 108/7.5 ~=14.5 kph (9 mph). That includes our mid-ride cafe stop. If we allow an hour for stoppages then we need to achieve an average rolling speed of ~16.5 kph (10.5 mph). I think that is pretty reasonable. If it sounds too fast for you then it definitely IS! :okay:

Attachments

• Whalley Trough Conder Green Longridge Whalley 108 km 2018.gpx
    24.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Tod to Spring Wood Whalley.gpx
    6.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Good news @ColinJ, my nephew is visiting us in late February rather than in March as originally planned, so I will be ok for either the Saturday 24th March or the Sunday if weather dictates. I missed this very enjoyable ride last year due to a bad back having ridden it the 3 years prior to that. So I'll keep you company from Tod and back to Tod for the imperial century.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Good news @ColinJ, my nephew is visiting us in late February rather than in March as originally planned, so I will be ok for either the Saturday 24th March or the Sunday if weather dictates. I missed this very enjoyable ride last year due to a bad back having ridden it the 3 years prior to that. So I'll keep you company from Tod and back to Tod for the imperial century.
Excellent news!

As you know, I already have our 2 non-CycleChat pals Carrie and Kevin lined up from Whalley and it is quite likely that non-CC pal #3 (Bill) will join us from Tod.

In some previous years, a faster group has ridden back from the cafe stop ahead of me. I don't have a problem with that if anybody feels like doing so but obviously they accept responsibility for finding their own way back.

I will update the first post with a map and GPX files later.

Great stuff. That will complete an astounding comeback by Carrie following her horrendous accident and injuries abroad last year

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hiya CJ, If it's 24th I'll meet thee at Spring Wood. 25th is a no can do cos I'm leading an mtb ride over in't dales
Super!

I have updated the first post with more details of the ride.

Domus

Guru
Enjoy the Bay Way - I did when I rode it with a friend last year.

Five of us, been on the back burner for over a year, getting five people to get together for a few days is like herding cats. Day one Barrow to Grange, two of us joining our wives in our caravan the other three in a hotel. Day two Grange to Glasson then back to Lancaster for train back to Grange, another night and no doubt a nice meal. Very civilised :hungry:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hmm, Bill emailed me today and said that he is toying with fleeing to Tenerife for a month if the weather doesn't warm up soon!

Even more reason to try to get some more riders. Ooh, I've just remembered that I am supposed to tag @Starchivore and @doughnut about these rides ... done. :okay:

New faces always ... :welcome:

doughnut

Veteran
Hi Colin, thanks for the tag. I cant be 100% for this ride - I've taken up hang gliding (again) and its super weather dependent so if the weather is good for flying that day then I'll be doing that. But if not then I should be up for this ride. I've not been out on my bike since October/November though I've been doing 3 spinning sessions at the gym each week throughout the winter so I'd be doing the 100 miler. Wont know for certain until probably 24-48 hours before the ride.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hi Colin, thanks for the tag. I cant be 100% for this ride - I've taken up hang gliding (again) and its super weather dependent so if the weather is good for flying that day then I'll be doing that. But if not then I should be up for this ride. I've not been out on my bike since October/November though I've been doing 3 spinning sessions at the gym each week throughout the winter so I'd be doing the 100 miler. Wont know for certain until probably 24-48 hours before the ride.
Okay, well let's hope the weather has finally settled down by then, eh? (For gliding AND for cycling!)

I haven't been doing much riding and this weather isn't helping. I had planned to use the turbo trainer more this winter but I keep making excuses to avoid it. Maybe I'll do an hour later on today ... :whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

My pal Bill is home from his travels and says that he might stick around for this ride if the weather doesn't turn cold and wintry again!

If you like the sound of this ride you would be :welcome: to come and join us for the full 100 miler from Todmorden, or the metric century from Whalley if you don't fancy tackling the full route.

Top Bottom