Todmorden/Whalley-Conder Green (near Glasson Dock), 100 miles/100km, Sat 24th Mar 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yep, not a bad day at all, very chatty and social so the miles whizzed by. By the time i got back at 5:30 78 0ff them had gone under the wheels and i couldn't believe I'd clocked up 5300 feet of ascent...I was expecting more like 3500!
Forgotten how lumpy it is getting across to Chorley from Ribchester, Salmesbury bottoms had me grovelling up it....
Ta for the planning and effort CJ^_^

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Pleased it went well - I had hoped to turn out but a couple of (minor) domestic problems conspired against me.

Less pleased to hear about @Littgull's tumble.

Hope the bike's OK, which is not being flippant because if Brian was on his Thorn the repair bill could be a big one.

Thanks for your good wishes, Rob (@Pale Rider).
Yes, thankfully my Thorn bike escaped with only minor bruises too. There was miraculously no damage whatsoever to the frame. The only 'damage' was a bent front brake caliper fixing bolt which I've now replaced and the front mudguard stays became dislodged so they just needed refixing in place. It seems Thorn bikes are built like Sherman tanks in respect of strength. but that doesn't make me complacent ^_^. The bruising and cut to my left hand is now healing and I'm just left with a tight and painful upper chest injury (no cuts or bruising) from where I fell on to the handlebar bar end. Hoping this will ease over the next few days.

Looking forward to riding with you again soon.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yep, not a bad day at all, very chatty and social so the miles whizzed by. By the time i got back at 5:30 78 0ff them had gone under the wheels and i couldn't believe I'd clocked up 5300 feet of ascent...I was expecting more like 3500!
Forgotten how lumpy it is getting across to Chorley from Ribchester, Salmesbury bottoms had me grovelling up it....
Ta for the planning and effort CJ^_^
You must have cracked on to get back by 5:30 - it was 5:30 by the time I left Spring Wood to solo home! (I got back at 7:04.)

I was surprised by how much climbing there was. Obviously, I had plotted the route so I knew there were a fair number of hills but I hadn't worked out in advance the total ascent for the day. It turned out that I did 1,950 metres or 6,400 ft.

I have only ridden Salmesbury Bottoms once - yes, it is steep, isn't it!

No, it's just not as far as you think. Needed to get ready for Sundays ride which went well, grand sunny day. Dragging a bit towards the end from the cumulative effort though.
Forgot to say in my last post, all the best Littgull GWS

Nearing the top of the Cam High road heading to Fleet Moss
29541198_1730264870366220_1528509762114876987_n.jpg

iluvmybike

Über Member
Thank u @ColinJ - you tired @rustybearing out nicely so he was at the back a lot of the time on Sunday's mtb ride - which makes a nice change as it is usually me he has to wait for rather than me waiting for him. ha ha!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I have had a look at @rusty bearing's suggestion of riding from Marshaw to Conder Green via Jubilee Tower and Quernmore rather than the way we normally do it (turning left in the woods at Marshaw). I knew that it would be longer and harder, but it actually isn't quite as long or hard as I'd thought - about 2.5 km further (about equivalent to the extra that I added on at Inglewhite this year, which could be avoided next year) and about 100 metres of extra climbing. It would be a nice variation so we will probably go that way in 2019.

Marshaw to Conder Green.png

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

A brief thread revival ...

And now for THE BAD NEWS:

@Littgull made a spirited attempt to take @I like Skol's 'Most dramatic forced ejection from bicycle caused by idiotic right-turning driver' crown, but failed on the grounds that he didn't end up in hospital and his bike survived the impact!
Brian took his bike for a service recently and discovered that the noisy braking he had suffered for the past year was due to his fork having been slightly bent in that accident!

Kudos to SJS Cycles for not only spotting it, but for replacing the fork under warranty even though it was damaged in an accident, rather than having a manufacturing defect.

And while I'm at it ...

I have had a look at @rusty bearing's suggestion of riding from Marshaw to Conder Green via Jubilee Tower and Quernmore rather than the way we normally do it (turning left in the woods at Marshaw). I knew that it would be longer and harder, but it actually isn't quite as long or hard as I'd thought - about 2.5 km further (about equivalent to the extra that I added on at Inglewhite this year, which could be avoided next year) and about 100 metres of extra climbing. It would be a nice variation so we will probably go that way in 2019.

View attachment 402027
Brian and I did the alternative route this year - an excellent variation which will be used again on some future editions of the ride.

Last edited:
Top Bottom