The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
No ride again today :sad:
knee has been niggly the last week or so which i put down to the damp weather and everyone else pulled out today so i took the decision to have a rest day .

13 rider

Guru
October's done been a busy month with a house move and then I'm away up Yorkshire next week ,Where I had planned on do a metric century but the weather not looking great so today's nice weather was to good of an opportunity to miss , Did my standard just enough loop , had an epic tailwind on the way back , Anyway 62.2 miles in the bag . Keeping in 3 distance challenges with separate rides has been a test but I'm still in all 3

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@Sea of vapours - I see your latest metric century took in Robin Hoods Bay... I was walking round there a couple of weeks ago and discovered the incredibly steep little road down into the old village. Did you go down and ride up that? It looked at least 25%, maybe even 30%?

This photo of mine doesn't really give a true impression of how severe it actually is!

Steep lane Robin Hoods Bay.jpg

I am not sure that I would attempt that hill these days, even on my CAAD5 with its triple chainset! :eek:

13 rider

Guru
@Sea of vapours - I see your latest metric century took in Robin Hoods Bay... I was walking round there a couple of weeks ago and discovered the incredibly steep little road down into the old village. Did you go down and ride up that? It looked at least 25%, maybe even 30%?

This photo of mine doesn't really give a true impression of how severe it actually is!

View attachment 710490

I am not sure that I would attempt that hill these days, even on my CAAD5 with its triple chainset! :eek:
I'm up that way next week , I will make a point of avoiding that hill 👍

Ajax Bay

Guru
@Sea of vapours - I see your latest metric century took in Robin Hoods Bay... I was walking round there a couple of weeks ago and discovered the incredibly steep little road down into the old village. Did you go down and ride up that? It looked at least 25%, maybe even 30%? I am not sure that I would attempt that hill these days,
You can answer your own question if you look at @Sea of vapours strava link he shared. He rode north up the railway track, cut off it at Fylingthorpe and up Church Lane (so no, not down into RHB). Your image is just below the Fish Box shop/restaurant which is a regular audax control.
Avoiding the hill you discovered is child's play: don't ride down there (it's a NTR) in the first place.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Keeping in 3 distance challenges with separate rides has been a test but I'm still in all 3
Good stuff. I managed this for a couple of years (well, just two challenges, 100mi and 100km). It was tough going and post covid I don't seem to have rediscovered the same level of masochism / bloody-mindedness.

@ColinJ , @Ajax Bay is of course correct. I'd rather ride up that hill than along the Cinder Track though: the 2km section just before Fylingthorpe has very much seen better days and is now rutted mud. Shortly, after that, I did walk down the 199 steps from Whitby Abbey in road cleats, carrying my bike, which is probably also best avoided really, at least from a safety perspective. And the day before I managed to ride up Rosedale Chimney Bank, which was certainly quite challenging; you might want to avoid that too @13 rider , I shall be in future I imagine :-)

Ajax Bay

Guru
And the day before I managed to ride up Rosedale Chimney Bank, which was certainly quite challenging; you might want to avoid that too @13 rider , I shall be in future I imagine :-)
Yes, riding up Colin's lane from the village is a pussy compared to Rosedale Chimney Bank. If the OS had a 3-chevron symbol, it would use it there (along with that lane that ascends to Harlech's cross roads and Bushcombe Lane climbing out of Bishop's Cleeve - a relative lives 'literally' at the top of that climb).

ukbabz

Veteran
What's the view on turbo trainer 100km? My road bike is minus one crankset at the moment with no ETA from Shimano, would be nice to complete the challenge though (I didn't enter last year but looking on Strava I did complete 2022 as well!)

Top Bottom