The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ukbabz

Veteran
Good to know about the Boarstall side resurfacing, but I'm shocked they haven't done the Oakley side yet as that is long overdue (and it's a much busier road). Descending that side is where I hit a pothole and crashed breaking my collarbone seven years ago. I've just looked on StreetView and the hole still exists (as of June 2023 anyway).

They had patched a few bits but still a couple of dodgy potholes. I came down there in winter and if I'm honest wasn't exactly a sensible speed for carbon rim brakes in the wet...

I came close to adding another one to May whilst in Mallorca but got called back to the apartment due to a poorly little one (all OK now). Just looking to find when I can add a ride for June as it's everything getting pretty busy with family life. I might have to join the silly early start club

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
As discussed elsewhere I took part in the 100 Climbs Sheffield Challenge, organised by Simon Warren. Didn't do 100k as it was miserable weather. I'm on an email list for his other events and he is planning a similar one, logistics permitting, in the North Yorks Moors on 8th September. Thought it would appeal to @Sea of vapours and others in the vicinity.

He has a Strava Club where he posts announcements: https://strava.app.link/KPYDXSQ79Jb

Thanks for the suggestion. The concept of the events does look good fun (based on reading about them when you posted re the Sheffield one before). I shall look at the details when he publishes them, though it's well over a hundred miles away, despite being in the same county.

UphillSlowly

Thanks for the suggestion. The concept of the events does look good fun (based on reading about them when you posted re the Sheffield one before). I shall look at the details when he publishes them, though it's well over a hundred miles away, despite being in the same county.

Hopefully he'll change his mind and opt for the Dales...

ukbabz

Veteran

Downside of living on gods own country!

UphillSlowly

I'll take that ! As downsides go, it's pretty diminutive ;-) I am, in fact, cycling to the North York Moors fairly soon; just not to then do one of Simon Warren's fiendish challenges.

I've been lucky enough to.Have holidays in Grassington and Reeth and have had a go at quite a few of your hills! Fleet Moss was the hardest

I've been lucky enough to.Have holidays in Grassington and Reeth and have had a go at quite a few of your hills! Fleet Moss was the hardest
Fleet Moss is very good from the Grassington direction; really lovely valley and I think it's harder than the north side. Next time you're up, try Fleak Moss: a very fine, stepped climb with great views of Swaledale from the north side, or it's a brutal, unrelentingly steep slope up from Askrigg on the south.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Fleet Moss is very good from the Grassington direction; really lovely valley and I think it's harder than the north side. Next time you're up, try Fleak Moss: a very fine, stepped climb with great views of Swaledale from the north side, or it's a brutal, unrelentingly steep slope up from Askrigg on the south.
I agree. I like the ride up through Yockenthwaite and the climb up Fleet Moss from the south but the descent into Gale is pretty steep and I’ve not tried the reverse. Fleak is lovely from the north but stopping in Askrigg is easier said than done!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Fleet Moss is very good from the Grassington direction; really lovely valley and I think it's harder than the north side.
I agree about the scenery but I thought the Hawes side was harder! What really gets me from that side is that you can see exactly what is coming and know that it just gets harder and harder as you get more tired!

Next time you're up, try Fleak Moss: a very fine, stepped climb with great views of Swaledale from the north side, or it's a brutal, unrelentingly steep slope up from Askrigg on the south.
I enjoyed Fleak Moss when I climbed it with you. (Have we ridden it together twice? I can only remember once but have a vague feeling that I did do it a second time because I had an idea what was coming.)

I was looking at Park Rash and Coverdale on my OS map today. Another lovely Dales valley, but I'd want to get my fitness way up before tackling that SUPER HARD climb again!

I agree about the scenery but I thought the Hawes side was harder! What really gets me from that side is that you can see exactly what is coming and know that it just gets harder and harder as you get more tired!
It's certainly harder psychologically from the Hawes side for the combination of reasons you cite; and it's less scenic, arguably. Going in that direction, you miss admiring Langstrothdale due to focusing on not crashing into the walls or the remarkably pretty river!

We've done it together twice; once in each direction. The northwards direction then led to the hard side of the Coal Road and the hard side of White Shaw Moss, each of which is harder than the climb before it ..... One of my more challenging forum rides, that one :-)

Regarding Park Rash and Coverdale, the cunning plan is to go up Coverdale and down Park Rash. It's the same argument as Fleet Moss really: Coverdale's lovely and you get to admire it on the way up. In this case, however, it's also an *awful* lot easier than going *up* Park Rash.

Last edited:

footloose crow

Über Member
June's 100k done today. Ambling around West Penwith (Cornwall) with a group of elderly cycling gentlemen (for 65k) and then a ride back to Truro for a total of 120km and 1450m. Sunny day, light winds, great coastal scenery. About time summer arrived.

I was bet that I wouldn't climb up these rocks carrying my bike.....so I did.
446040228_255778847609206_7850452940049844677_n.jpg

IMG_4412.jpeg

IMG_4417.jpeg

Porthgwarra Beach
IMG_4420.jpeg

IMG_4422.jpeg
Mousehole (or Mouzel locally)

UphillSlowly

Sorry for.late response. Work... I have had a go at Fleak Moss last summer. Rode from Reeth to meet the family at Semer Water. Was a great climb. Had a go at a few others that holiday 😁

Park Rash is good fun too, from the south. Did it on the same ride as.Buttertubs and Fleet Moss (both from the North) a few years ago

Top Bottom