The mighty Quinn returns

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well i have had a Harry Quinn Q prefixed frameset in my garage for ages and its had issue's see Harry Quinn Frameset with issue please read Withdrawn . But i couldnt let go of it and i took the decision recently to get it back on the road .

I enlisted the help of Lee Cooper ( http://leecoopercycles.webs.com/ ) to remove the bonded in bracket cups and do whatever was required to sort out the bottom bracket once they were removed .

He ended up having to perform a double cut and shut operation as shown below .

Well i have had it built using a lot of the running gear from a Peugeot Competition so its running a 2 x 9 Shimano 105 gearing set up .

So far its only had a short ride around the cul de sac as i still need to a bit of tinkering , but will report back once a few miles have been done , i also need to get some paint on the bottom bracket shell .

quinn6.jpg
quinn7.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Cor, that's a lot of work on the shell. Time to practice your (true) fettling skills with an angle grinder (if you take your time it isn't that hard but just go slowly)

EDIT- I used to be a foundry moulder but you had to be better at fetlling than they were when they'd complain about 'flash' on the castings
Definition (copy and paste) to remove (excess moulding material and casting irregularities) from a cast component

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
That's actually quite neat for a BB cut and shut. It's the last resort for a knackered or stuck bottom bracket and I guess pretty rare now!

Nobody sees it so unless it's dressed for sale some primer/ hammerite will be OK :smile:

Looking good, especially with a third cable clip on the top tube. I guess you have found that a front mech with an outer stop are a bit if a rarity l

Shaun

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
That's actually quite neat for a BB cut and shut. It's the last resort for a knackered or stuck bottom bracket and I guess pretty rare now!

Nobody sees it so unless it's dressed for sale some primer/ hammerite will be OK :smile:

Looking good, especially with a third cable clip on the top tube. I guess you have found that a front mech with an outer stop are a bit if a rarity l

Shaun

thanks @midlife glad you agree re repairs and i am more than happy with the quality of the welds , especially compared to some you see on modern frames

never even thought about fr mech i just used the campy one it came with as i couldnt find a matching band on " yellow " 105 unit

looking forward to getting out on it to see what all the fuss is about

@Senior Ryder have you seen this ?

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Can you pour it into words or will people just have to get their own?

For years when i ever hear people comment about Q prefixed Harry Quinns they always comment about how nice they ride and what glorious bikes they are , so i have always been intrigued and have wanted to find out , and now i am starting to understand what @Tony Smith and others mean .

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
5 minutes cleaning the underside of the bottom bracket shell and hey presto

quinn10.jpg

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it