The model railway/railroad thread. European & North American HO.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I know @Andy in Germany has already kicked off with a thread about his model train making but I thought there should be a thread where everyone can post about their layouts, trains etc.
I've always had an interest but it's been rekindled recently so look out for some posts.
In the meantime let's see you pics about your railway modelling.

An Alco S2 (Santa Fe) and a Alco S4 (Southern Pacific). Alco is short for American Locomotive Company.

IMG_0408.JPG

My main interest is North American outline but also like European.

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
... a thread where everyone can post about their layouts, trains etc.
see the similar threads at the foot of this one :smile:

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Get it unpacked @Smokin Joe ! Get some sectional track, Kato is very good, and give it a run.
Haven't looked at Z for a while but I know it must still be very expensive. You'll also get a better range of accessories for N than Z and it is very fiddly. Good for something like a coffee table continuous running set piece.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Here are a couple of my German locos. ‘Thor’ is a fire less shunter or ‘Dampfspeicherlok’ made for use in factories making flammable products. It’s a Lilliput model and running on DC at the moment but I’ll convert it to DCC. You might notice a problem with the motion, one of the rods has come out which I’m trying to fix:

CFACA369-0410-4CC5-8F7E-26E7304EED16.jpeg

The other is this 0-6-0 diesel shunter for DR. It is DCC and has sound which is very realistic. It won’t move until the engine starting sequence is finished. Runs superbly right down a barely perceptible crawl. Made by Roco.

C3478597-719A-4116-9F3E-33C7308DC5FE.jpeg

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
At least HO doesn't look a bit weird from the front like OO, a typically British kludge we seem to be stuck with. I see reviews going on about rivet numbers, exact chimney heights, cylinder lining, etc and think "but the wheels are much too close together".

It's a shame Hornby et al can't bite the bullet and adopt P4 standards. I can understand why not (legacy compatibility, mainly, although valve gear would need to be more finely made and fragile) but it's the elephant in the room.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That's one of the reasons I went with HO. The discrepancy in OO wheels standards put me off, plus the European and US brands are generally much better runners with better detail.

Jameshow

Veteran
Where is the best place a go for large scale track and locos?

A upmarket nursing home near to me is interested in one for thier residents.

stephec

Legendary Member
Where is the best place a go for large scale track and locos?

A upmarket nursing home near to me is interested in one for thier residents.

By large scale do you mean O gauge or above, and is it indoor or garden layout that they want?

Top Bottom