THE MOST IMPORTANT PIECE OF KIT YOU LL EVER OWN?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

jimboalee said:
The enjoyment is when you glance down and see 'Lap average' on your Garmin is just what it's supposed to be.

That principle applies to all cyclists.

Not so much the Garmin thing, but the success of achieving what you set out to do. :sad:

An Audax medal, or improving on your last training session, or finishing a race ahead of where you ( realistically ) expected to finish.

OP
OP
lukesdad

lukesdad

:biggrin:Blimey Jimbo you lost me ages ago ! think I d rather put some of that time into riding the bike> Thought my record was rather detailed.

Thanks for info. dodgy not sure a computer illiterate old dog like me could handle all that techonolgy I have enough trouble with ebay:biggrin:

jimboalee

Fifteen years ago, the company I was working for decided they would try their hand at putting electronic engine management on motorcycles.

One piece of kit I was involved in installing was a M/C chassis dynamometer.

It had the capability of electrically simulating inertias down to 80 kg. What a stroke of luck. A turbo trainer for free :biggrin:
The REAL bonus was a 'speed tracking' cooling fan.

In order to get a sensible roadload curve for my bike, a rolldown test was necessary.
This is when it all started, and the calcs sheets grew with every half hour lunchtime.

Logs, well, I fear I'll have to live life without them.

My first job was at an audit firm; later I switched to a law firm. I kept time sheets, initially in 10-minute chunks, later every 6-minute chunk.

Somehow the pressure of having to justify every chunk of time in a working day translated into a profound dislike for logging activities. If I can avoid it, I do.

The only times when I keep a "log" are now when I follow a specific training schedule. I just put the training plan on a pin board or leave it lying about in a convenient place, and tick off training sessions as I do them, and come the end of the training period, the schedule goes into the bin.

Silly? Maybe. But at least it keeps me sane and happy to continue jogging, cycling, swimming, the musical instrument and the like. Keeping logs somehow takes the joy out of whichever activity I start logging.

Bill Gates

I used to maintain a log but found that it interfered with the good sense of knowing when not to train. The danger is to go out for a ride even when you don't feel like it just to make it look good in the training diary.

In the winter/early spring it was a case of the more hours/miles the better. Come the summer I couldn't be bothered becuase the training reduced and the racing took over. Once you've established a successful pattern then I don't see the point anymore. Writing it down makes no difference. It is what it is.

jimboalee

dodgy said:
You know Jim, I half imagine you riding along with clipboard and pen.

I'm sad yes, but not THIS bloody sad.

instructables-eee-pc-bicycle-mount.jpg

Top Bottom