The most invincible bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
In case my answer above comes across as glib ... I think any decent bike which is maintained properly will be very reliable unless crashed. I don't think reliability is much of an issue to worry about when choosing a new bike.
I wish I could like this post twice. absolutely spot on.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I disagree. Isn't that the reason bikes cost more due to quality, durability and weight?
This carbon fibre seatpost cost about £500.

broken-carbon-fibre-seatpost.jpg

It certainly didn't have much weight. It didn't have much durability either. As for quality ... should the weight of an 8 stone rider hitting a slight bump at 10 mph cause that to happen? :whistle:

So, I think the answer to your question is ... "Probably not"! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Turbo

Turbo

Clueless member
I just thought I'd mention when Colin said reliability isn't an issue when choosing a bike. I thought to most it would be that's all.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just thought I'd mention when Colin said reliability isn't an issue when choosing a bike. I thought to most it would be that's all.
I meant that all reasonably decent bikes are reliable if looked after. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a reasonably decent bike.

A cheap, crappy bike will always be that, no matter what you do to it!

Come and have a go if yer 'ard enough...
download.jpg

andyfraser

Über Member
I'm guessing the most invincible bike is the awful BSO that you keep telling yourself "I'll get rid of it when it breaks".

And it doesn't.
I see chavs on BSOs that have never been cleaned let alone maintained and look about 100 yards away from falling apart. I then realise that I saw them on it over a year ago and it's still going strong!

KneesUp

Guru
This second hand purchase is 25 years old, and apart from the cranks and pedals is almost entirely original I think. As
@ColinJ says, a half decent bike* will last pretty much forever unless you crash it or try to break it.

13947880574_6ced57d9c8_m.jpg

*Muddy Fox were half-decent in 1989 when this was sold - not the mockery they have become.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
My old Raleigh Clubman. Anything with friction downtube shifting is going to need less maintenance, I suppose. The front callipers did self destruct into the fro t wheel once, but knowing my lack of urgency for maintenance, they'd probably been loosening for months.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@KneesUp - my GT Timberline from 1990 is entirely original, apart from some dodgy Hammerite paint. Original tyres, chain, etc.

I've just fitted SPD's and new grips plus Ice Spikers because I wanted. Oh, and a replacement saddle which matches because it fits me better. Otherwise I could've just used it as is.

$_57.JPG

KneesUp

Guru
@KneesUp - my GT Timberline from 1990 is entirely original, apart from some dodgy Hammerite paint. Original tyres, chain, etc

Nice :smile: I have the cranks and pedals off the Seeker in a biscuit tin on top of the kitchen cupboards, but the bike had evidently fallen heavily at some point as the spindle on one of the pedals was bent and it's crank was a replacement, which hadn't been tightened up properly and so was all chewed up. As a result it also doesn't have the original BB, bow I think about it :smile: Must dig it out actually, it's been unloved and ignored for about 6 months. It was a £466 bike in 1989, so shouldn't be languishing under a tarp.

Top Bottom