The most suitable over trousers for commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

knonist

Hi, can someone please suggest a pair of over trousers which is suitable for a 10miles commute (20 miles return). I don’t like feeling hot and hopefully it should be packable.

It would be a bonus if I can use it in the summer / warmer months too!

Thanks

Plax

Guru

Hi, can someone please suggest a pair of over trousers which is suitable for a 10miles commute (20 miles return). I don’t like feeling hot and hopefully it should be packable.

It would be a bonus if I can use it in the summer / warmer months too!

Thanks

I think you'll be hard pressed to find a pair of waterproofs that won't cause a "boil in the bag" effect. I wear normal hiking waterproof trousers or rain legs which are good in light - medium rain but in heavy rain you get wet shins; http://www.rainlegs.co.uk/

Might be worth reading the reviews on the wiggle site for various waterproof trousers;
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/cycle/7/Trousers_-_Cycle_Waterproof/

I've personally given up on finding the perfect waterproof trouser.

potsy

Rambler
I've just bought some Altura Night Vision ones,yet to wear them but they will be winter only pants,they look like they'll be far too warm to wear yet.
I'll certainly be seen at night now
thumbsup.png

Montane do a lightweight one,very packable but doubt they are fully waterproof.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I think you'll be hard pressed to find a pair of waterproofs that won't cause a "boil in the bag" effect. I wear normal hiking waterproof trousers or rain legs which are good in light - medium rain but in heavy rain you get wet shins; http://www.rainlegs.co.uk/

Might be worth reading the reviews on the wiggle site for various waterproof trousers;
http://www.wiggle.co...cle_Waterproof/

I've personally given up on finding the perfect waterproof trouser.

+1 for rainlegs

pack down small(ish)

I found normal overtrousers to flappy and boil in the bag.

Rainlegs keep the top of your legs dry, if you have mudguards on your lower legs do not get to wet anyway.

I've just bought some Altura Night Vision ones,yet to wear them but they will be winter only pants,they look like they'll be far too warm to wear yet.
I'll certainly be seen at night now
thumbsup.png

Montane do a lightweight one,very packable but doubt they are fully waterproof.

The Montane ones are certainly light, breathable, packable but like you think aren't all that waterproof they do me for emergencies on my short commute. The other thing unsurprising they are not that robust and I've caught mine a couple of times at the ankles on the chainring.

I've the nightvisions too for winter but unfortunately they are not that waterproof any more either. I made the mistake of putting them in the washing machine :blush: and the white lining (waterproofing) has started to come away in places. In winter though and especially undamaged they are great for warmth/ waterproofing.

OP
OP
K

knonist

anyone tried the dhb event or the Gore Alp GT?
I normally wear a pair of normal office trousers for my commute, so rainlegs might be a bit cold....

potsy

Rambler
I've got the Montane jacket Hlab and that is the same,nice and light but the 1st sign of rain and it's pretty useless tbh.
Good for summer as a be seen jacket,but will be going back to my Endura boil in the bag,together with the NV over-trousers for the winter.
I've looked at E-vent stuff and Goretex but I wonder if it's worth spending that kind of money on something I might only use a few times a year.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
anyone tried the dhb event or the Gore Alp GT?
I normally wear a pair of normal office trousers for my commute, so rainlegs might be a bit cold....

I've tried wearing proper waterproof trousers, tres expensive goretex ones and, unless it's really cold and you don't cycle too fast, you'll boil in them. For commuting I just accept I'll get wet and have a change of cycle gear for each direction. I work on 3 days worth so, 6 sets of bib shorts, 6 base layers, 3 sets of Ron Hill style waisted longs, 3 micro fleeces, 1 jacket, 2 lots of footwear, and 2 lots of gloves.

I wear fresh bib shorts for each leg regardless of the weather, a fresh base layer if needed and fresh socks, basically next to the skin is changed each ride. A microfleece will dry during the day as will leggings but I like to have a spare pair of gloves as they won't always dry in time.

The only time I wear the waterproof trousers is if I'm cycling somewhere that I can't change and need to be dry for, but it does mean a slow cycle.

OP
OP
K

knonist

I've tried wearing proper waterproof trousers, tres expensive goretex ones and, unless it's really cold and you don't cycle too fast, you'll boil in them. For commuting I just accept I'll get wet and have a change of cycle gear for each direction. I work on 3 days worth so, 6 sets of bib shorts, 6 base layers, 3 sets of Ron Hill style waisted longs, 3 micro fleeces, 1 jacket, 2 lots of footwear, and 2 lots of gloves.

I wear fresh bib shorts for each leg regardless of the weather, a fresh base layer if needed and fresh socks, basically next to the skin is changed each ride. A microfleece will dry during the day as will leggings but I like to have a spare pair of gloves as they won't always dry in time.

The only time I wear the waterproof trousers is if I'm cycling somewhere that I can't change and need to be dry for, but it does mean a slow cycle.

That's alot of of gear to carry around!
and alot to wash too....

Mac66

Regardless of whether it's tops or bottoms, I think if you want waterproof, you are going to have to accept something that will involve a degree of boil-in-the-bag.<BR><BR>However I have been using Altura Nightvision trousers for my commute, and although I find my legs get a bit damp (from sweat rather than rain) it's not particularly uncomfortable. They do have excellent reflectivity, which regardless of arguments as to effectiveness, I do feel would count in my favour in certain legal situations.<BR><BR>I have had mine for three years now, so they are certainly durable but I would say only use for cold/winter days. <BR><BR>Craft do some rainpants that look reasonably priced, but I have no experience of these

Jezston

Über Member
I have a pair of Gore Ultra Pants. Ultra Pants!

They are great. I don't find they get too hot at all. I had them on for my ride in this morning with thermals underneath after massively misjudging the temperature. Was warm, but certainly wasn't boiling.

My upper body however with a Nike thermal layer and fleece lined Altura Night Vision jacket was a different story altogether...

Top Bottom