The most you've ever spent on art

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Many years ago I almost bought a painting by Kurt Jackson. It was £500, which was enough to make me think *very* seriously. Didn't bother in the end. Saw the same painting a few years later for £5000. I absolutely loved the painting but knowing that it would have appreciated 10fold was a bit of a kick in the knackers. Bloody good artist. Way out of my league now...:biggrin:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
120 Euros on a semi-abstract painting done by a barking mad (but very cheerful) woman who works as a waitress in an Italian restaurant in Düsseldorf and who gets to display her pics in said establishment.

Abitrary

Out of all the art I've ever seen in shops, I've never seen anything I'd actually put on my wall for less than 500 quid

longers

Legendary Member
I've thought about spending a lot of money on art. But have never had the money to spare. I came close to spending £400 quid on a painting of the Pembrokeshire coast but would have gone into debt for it. I can still picture the painting (but can't remember the artists name :blush:).

Did spend £60 on a Batik picture of St Dogmael though which is my most ever. I don't even own the picture now. I got a picture by Monica Groves which was a wedding present as a trade off though.

gbb

Legendary Member
£200 to £400 is and isnt big money for a painting....
My dad was an aviation and shipping artist till he lost his sight some years ago.
We looked at some oils in Old Warden Aerodrome 30 years ago...they were £300 then, and to be honest, were crud.
He sold his paintings at quite affordable prices, usually on commission by ex servicemen. He reckoned he'd rather enjoy painting and selling regularly (spread the love, so's to speak)..than sitting and waiting for someone to buy the same pictures at 4 times the price.
Sell expensive at small volume, or affordable at a rate he could keep busy.

He would do a 3 ft by 2 ft oil painting of a sailing ship for instance...for maybe £100 , 10 years ago. If i say so myself...the detail and investigation that went into the art was very thorough.

The upshot is, i have a small collection of very nice oils and watercolours....and never paid a penny :blush:

Brock

I don't feel I need to spend much on art because I have a number of this artist's paintings which I love. She moved to Andalucia and paints some beautiful Spanish scenery, sea scapes and still life.. Feel free to contact her and offer her money for any of the paintings on her flickr page if you're in the mood for spending. A harder working artist I've never known.

http://flickr.com/photos/snailpaint

;)

Have paid in the £2-300 range for some pictures by local artists. Most paid was £750 for a John Piper picture for a "landmark" birthday for my wife, superb Cornish cottage terrace, in semi abstract style.

Best buy, was £45 from a Uni student, for totally abstract representation of the TdF peloton. I think it's superb, but then art is very much all about personal choice.

Top Bottom