The most you've ever spent on art

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melvil

By which I mean, a piece of artwork...

Personally I get the shivers whenever I pay more than £100, though I know of people who happily spend £1000's.

Has anyone here seen a bit of art, swallowed and handed over their credit card/house etc?

Just curious.

Mel.

col

Legendary Member
Melvil said:
By which I mean, a piece of artwork...

Personally I get the shivers whenever I pay more than £100, though I know of people who happily spend £1000's.

Has anyone here seen a bit of art, swallowed and handed over their credit card/house etc?

Just curious.

Mel.

A while ago,while at witby,my wife pointed out an oil painting of a gallean type ship,in harbour,early hours,all misty and atmospheric,we loved it,and said next time we go ,we will buy it,it was £250 ish i think?We went back some time later,and it had been sold,so thats the closest we have come to actually buying art.

NickM

Veteran
I was at an auction sale of Frank Patterson* originals quite a few years ago. I was rapidly outbid for the picture I really, really wanted. I later leaned that the auction winner was an agent, probably bidding on behalf of a Japanese buyer.

The following day, I received in the post a cheque for a large sum in payment of an insurance claim against a driver who had knocked me off my bike nearly three years previously. If I'd had the money one day earlier, that picture would now be on my living room wall instead of in a bank vault in Japan...

* "the cycling artist", who created over 5000 illustrations for "Cycling" magazine

OP
OP
M

Melvil

mr_hippo said:
My great grandfather owned an original Rembrandt and an original Stradivarius but Rembrandt made lousy violins and Stradivarius couldn't paint!

:angry::sad::smile: groan(ish!) - funny you should say that, I saw a Rembrandt self portrait yesterday in a museum...absolutely superb, I can see what all the fuss is about.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I spent £120 on an old book of mountain poetry by Geoffrey Winthrop-Young. Does that count?

NickM

Veteran
I don't think books count unless they are valuable for reasons other than rarity or literary merit- such as an extremely luxurious binding, for example.

I buy lots of secondhand books, but I've never spent that much on one!

Brock

Melvil said:
<snob>Not the Ratners kind/</snob> but I certainly think of good jewellery as art - go on then, tell us!

Actually I wouldn't consider the piece I was thinking about as art either. It was a £600ish engagement ring, which really was just an expensive sticking plaster for a failing relationship. Probably more fashion than art.

Don't believe I've spent anywhere near that amount on anything I would consider art unfortunately. Maybe fifty quid on a vase?

red_tom

$300 ish for some of the more expensive Josh Agle (ShAg) prints I got into collecting a while ago. My icon is a bit from one of his (minus the hat :angry:).

Mrs G's Ghisallo is a work of art and cost a f***ing fortune!

We spent £350 on a painting - it's quite big, and when you think how long it took it probably didn't make the artist a fortune (bought directly from them). Given that a decent sized print can often cost £100, I didn't think that was too bad.

Just been to the pub and I can't believe how many typing errors I've had to correct as I type this. Oh well, home time soon, I think Mrs G had better drive!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I spent £200 on a pair of paintings by an artist I knew but I tend to get fed up with looking at the same picture after a few years, so I'd be reluctant to spend more unless I was going to be able to flog it off at a later date.

Top Bottom