The Musicals Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
For me it's a hobby and an interest. Anyone else?

To kick off - a review of Bake Off - The Musical

Went to see this on Friday night just gone. For those not in the know, this shows takes the format of the Great British Bake Off but with 8 contestants, and uses it as the medium for a musical. I'll be honest, my expectations were *very* low, but the family wanted to go and see it, and to be honest I have a great fondness for "so bad it's funny" (I've seen a few of those, Leonardo and Lautrec spring to mind).

I was actually pleasantly surprised. The script is quite sharp and the writers have a truly excellent sense of when things could get mawkish. The cast were excellent and there are some big names in there. The Prue Leith character is played by Haydn Gwynne (Donna / Oolie in City of Angels and Mrs Wilkinson in Billy Elliott amongst other roles) and the Paul Hollywood character by John Owen Jones best known for Phantom in Phantom and Jean Val Jean in Les Mis). The other cast also very strong and for a change a really interesting diverse cast of all ages and sizes. Musically the songs are a little forgettable - I didn't come out singing any of the tunes. On the other hand, songs are not relentlessly beaten into you a la Andrew Lloyd Webber. Zoe Birkett and Scott Page were excellent as the Bake Off hosts and there are some nice laugh out loud moments.

The set is smart and functional but not exactly award winning. On the other hand there is a limit to what you can do and still reflect the TV show.

It's an enjoyable night out. If you are a fan of bake off on Channel 4 or have watched some Bake Off, then there are lots of bake off in jokes, but it is still accessible to non fans. There was an odd queuing system to get into the theatre and you can buy cupcakes for £5 as merchandise. The theatre is lovely and as usual great if you have short legs, but not so much if you are tall. We were second row stalls and had an excellent view of the action. You probably see a bit more of the kitchen set from the Dress Circle.

So all in all a recommend for a nice evening out. If you want world changing or thought provoking, then probably not for you.

Wife & daughter are off to see 'Sister Act', at the Grand Theatre, in Leeds, tonight

I see Titanic - the Musical is coming to a theatre near me this summer. Only 1300 people died. An odd choice for a musical ?

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
I see Titanic - the Musical is coming to a theatre near me this summer. Only 1300 people died. An odd choice for a musical ?
You say that, but there is also a musical which touches on the events of 9/11 (Come from Away) and another which is concerned with the run up to the second world war (Cabaret).

The Titanic musical is (in my view) most excellent. It's a bit long and occasionally a bit slow but Maury Yeston's music is beautiful and the way the story is told is moving and well thought out. I'm interested in seeing the touring version although i doubt the staging can compete with the original Broadway staging that tilted the entire set 45 degrees as the titanic visually sank... (see about 2 hours in)

https://www.google.com/search?q=tit...#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:ef21243f,vid:BIkHL7Ge0V4

I haven't see one in a long time but Miss Saigon is having a limited run in Sheffield later this year so I've booked to go and see that.

vickster

Legendary Member
Aspects of Love is back in the West End from mid-May with Michael Ball playing old George rather than young Alex as he did when I saw in 1989! 17 year old me might have had a bit of a crush on MB back then :blush:

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Aspects of Love is back in the West End from mid-May with Michael Ball playing old George rather than young Alex as he did when I saw in 1989! 17 year old me might have had a bit of a crush on MB back then :blush:
That's fair enough, but if you decide to go and see it I'd recommend a comfy pillow. It has to be one of the dullest musicals I have ever seen. Slow, dull and ALW's music relentlessly beating you over the head with the same two or three tunes.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

If we can extend to opera proper, there's "The Death of Klinghoffer" by John Adams which is about Palestinian terrorists' hijack of the liner Acchile Lauro and subsequent murder of Mr Klinghoffer, an elderly disabled Jewish gentleman. It might sound unlikely and in poor taste even but it is a powerful and important work. Whilst it does try and understand and explain the Palestinians' motivation it is also clear in the work that the murder is wicked and senseless. We saw it at the ENO in London.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
On musicals proper we saw a genuinely excellent "My Fair Lady" in Bradford last year. Rather unusually for musicals, all the stars could actually sing (and act) rather well - often such shows have soap stars and the like who are very questionable singers. Hey, even in the much lauded "La La Land" neither lead was much cop at singing. MFL is likely still touring and I can highly recommend it. The story has a bit more substance to it than many musicals too

Top Bottom