The Mutz Nutz...is there a VET IN THE HOUSE?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

is anybody here a vet?

I have a small cockerspanial dog who has just been informed by the vet up the road that his knackers need chopping:ohmy:...not the best day in his life I suspect:sad:

anyway look I was just after some general comment (I know you cannot advise without a consultation...dont worry I wont sue!)

I want to know if there are any bad/downsides of this operation for him. The vet seemed to make it sound totally risk free and routine...and I also saw this on the net which seems to back that view up:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1638&articleid=481

However with a previous dog we had some bad experiences with a different vet...so I just want make sure this is strictly necessary before Mutley's turns around and asks...'wtf did you do that for?!'...I owe him this much at least:biggrin:

oh yes..sorry...symptoms...he has one larger and harder than the other, the vet reckons it's a tumour. he is 8 years old and other than this he is in top shape according to the vet he saw today.
...so...wot say you...?;)

Noodley

Bigtallfatbloke said:
is anybody here a vet?

...'wtf did you do that for?!'...the vet reckons it's a tumour...

No I ain't a vet.

What's a couple of balls compared to a tumour?

I think if I was your dog I'd be asking "wtf are you doing? Get them lobbed off, I only use them for licking practice anyway."

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I am 99% sure we will ge thim operated on asap...I just wanted to see if anybody out there had any simialr experiences with their canine freinds and to hear it from another vet...I need to look him in the eyes when he gets home and know it was the right thing to do.

longers

Legendary Member
Off.

I can expand on this later if you want (not a vet though).

LLB

Noodley said:
No I ain't a vet.

What's a couple of balls compared to a tumour?

I think if I was your dog I'd be asking "wtf are you doing? Get them lobbed off, I only use them for licking practice anyway."

:rolleyes:

Lovely looking dog though :smile:

wafflycat

Good grief, there should be no worries about having him castrated. If you're not breeding from him he doesn't exactly need them. And if he has a tumour there should be no concerns about him having the op at all. Castratin really is a routine operation. I *always* get my felines done, neutered/speyed so my one female cat is done, & my two male cats.

purplemoon

Bigtallfatbloke said:
oh yes..sorry...symptoms...he has one larger and harder than the other, the vet reckons it's a tumour. he is 8 years old and other than this he is in top shape according to the vet he saw today.
...so...wot say you...?:smile:

I'm not a vet but an ex vet nurse and in light of your last paragraph then yes, you should definitely have him castrated. Testicular cancer is a common problem in entire dogs and is one of the reasons vets recommend castrating them at a much younger age :rolleyes:

As far as the op goes, it is a very routine procedure so you don't have anything to worry about, and the anaesthetics used these days are extremely good and much less of a risk than in the past.

Why is it that men have this big thing about wanting to keep their dog's balls intact? :smile: You ain't the first and most certainly won't be the last :smile:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
MrsP is a veterinary nurse and recommends that they come of as soon as poss. Your dog will be up and walking around as soon as the anaesthetic wears off and he has come round. He will not miss them. :ohmy:

Top Bottom