The new improved Lance Armstrong discussion thread.*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hont

Guru
Not a troll but confesses to behaving exactly like one.

Does anyone need lessons in the ignore function of this board?

User269

Cheating is optional not necessary.

Not read David Millar's book (amongst others) then?

Mind you, I've often wondered, given that I often race whilst suffering from the effects of performance impairing drugs, would it be cheating if I turned up 'clean'? :hugs:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Not read David Millar's book (amongst others) then?

Mind you, I've often wondered, given that I often race whilst suffering from the effects of performance impairing drugs, would it be cheating if I turned up 'clean'? :hugs:
And Hincapies new book, he recalls I think it was the worlds of 95 where he and Armstrong where blown out of the back early doors and both had to retire from the race exhausted having tried to cling on, he recalled the lead riders were out of this world fast and were still able to have a conversation and some looked out of shape and overweight. The previous year Hincapie had been making decent placing's and in 95 his training figures were all up on 94.

He believes in 96/97 that he had a clear choice and that was to do EPO or find a different job. That is a tough decision especially once you have become used to the trappings of a professional athlete and love doing what you were doing.

Andrew_P

I'm reading David Millar's book at the moment, and I think he gives a very convincing account of the steady drip of pressure a very young and not all that worldly person was put under to keep up with the others in his chosen and loved profession. Yes, strictly speaking it is always a choice, but the psychology of why people make the choices they do is extremely complex and interesting. At least, unlike some, Millar came to his senses and owned up, which is also a choice and not by any means an easy one.

(Sorry if that has all been said on here hundreds of times already, but pro racing is a world I don't know all that much about.)
Only after his house was raided though, not sure he would have confessed before.

Andrew_P

Which is why, when a father figure and exerter of that pressure like Armstrong is caught, it is right to take strong steps to crush them and minimise their future influence. The past is wrecked, the present is murky but the future is worth fighting for.
I have not finished the book, but Hincapie does not feel pressured to take them by anyone directly, most of the pressure as you would expect came from within to be able to compete or to be competitive enough to do the job expected of him.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
I watched the Armstrong lie , and from the cut scenes took Ferraris advice to ride harder at a lower cadence as a big lad, and have pb'd most hills since. So he's not all bad

I watched the Armstrong lie , and from the cut scenes took Ferraris advice to ride harder at a lower cadence as a big lad, and have pb'd most hills since. So he's not all bad

Bloody hell Louch, I coulda told you that!

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
You've only PB'd because I've been hauling you ass over them hills...it's me you should thanking not some EPO doctor:boxing:

Top Bottom