The new improved Lance Armstrong discussion thread.*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
And apparently, even after his 'confession', Armstrong has no intention of actually losing out materially. He does not intend paying back the winner's bonuses that accrued from his fraud. The explanation given by his lawyer was as follows:

"The bottom line is that Tailwind bought the (insurance) policy (with SCA)," said Herman. "Tailwind paid the premium. Tailwind made the claim, and the money was paid to Tailwind, not Lance Armstrong. I'm sure people will characterize that as a loophole, but it's a pretty significant factor."

A loophole, you say? More like a blatant disregard for any standards of ethics and truth. The guy has no shame.

yello

He does not intend paying back the winner's bonuses that accrued from his fraud.

re the above, I thought Henman's words could lead to confusion....

"My only point is no athlete ever, to my understanding, has ever gone back and paid back his compensation," Herman told USA Today.

Note he said "compensation". Elsewhere, I read him referring to 'repaying winnings'. I think he is deliberately trying to confuse the issue; the SCA insurance policy and Armstrong's prize money. The two are not the same. Henman is perhaps right in that disgraced athletes rarely return their prize money - but that's a completely different issue to taking out an insurance policy with fraudulent intent and then lying under oath to secure it.

As much as we might like to think that Henman is an idiot, he is not. I don't understand what he's doing (his 'loophole' defence looks particularly see-through, an own goal even) but there will be a purpose. It's part of a strategy. I suspect the main part of that strategy is too deflect or redirect attention - he's trying to reshape the issue into something he thinks he can defend.

yello

Looks as if the US authorities may still be after the cheating scumbag despite Andre Birotte not regretting dropping thecase

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/report-armstrong-subject-of-criminal-investigation

Hope springs eternal

Indeed it does.

It seems like a 'no brainer' to me that the Feds would pick this up again.

Personally, like thousands of others, I'd love to know why Birotte shelved/dropped it in the first place. Yes, I've read several ideas and conspiracy theories but they remain that. I can only attribute the reason to be 'political'... with no idea of specifics.

So for similar reasons, I will not actually believe that a Federal investigation has re-started/commenced until I see it being reported officially. Birotte pissed a lot of people off. Some of those will be wanting to 'get even' (political again) but whether they'll have the clout to do so remains to be seen.

If I was a betting man, I wouldn't bet on this one. There's probably too much going on behind the scenes for it to be called by we mere internauts. I watch and wait with interest.

oldroadman

Veteran
re the above, I thought Henman's words could lead to confusion....

Note he said "compensation". Elsewhere, I read him referring to 'repaying winnings'. I think he is deliberately trying to confuse the issue; the SCA insurance policy and Armstrong's prize money. The two are not the same. Henman is perhaps right in that disgraced athletes rarely return their prize money - but that's a completely different issue to taking out an insurance policy with fraudulent intent and then lying under oath to secure it.

As much as we might like to think that Henman is an idiot, he is not. I don't understand what he's doing (his 'loophole' defence looks particularly see-through, an own goal even) but there will be a purpose. It's part of a strategy. I suspect the main part of that strategy is too deflect or redirect attention - he's trying to reshape the issue into something he thinks he can defend.

"Compensation" is a term used by some US corporations to describe what the pay their employees. As in wages, salary, bonuses. So it could have dual meanings, although here it may be used to describe bonuses paid out for specific objectives.

Puts a new gloss on the confession, doesn't it?

'Yes, I cheated, but that doesn't mean I did anything wrong.'

One thing is certain - a big pay day for lawyers. I guess what his brief is saying is that anyone wanting their money back is going to have to shell out a heap of cash in fees. I presume that the TdF organisers may be able to try to sieze assets in Europe if he still owns property here, but otherwise it's got to be a US court. (I presume Pharmstrong would not be stupid enough to leave the safety of the Austin bunker.)

yello

It would not be surprising if Birotte changed his opinion, what is surprising is that he says he hasn't. Why?

Maybe because he hasn't. Birotte doesn't speak for every office nor every federal officer. There were a lot of people involved in the original investigation that were both surprised and disappointed (to put it mildly) that Birotte decided not to proceed. That was his job, his call for whatever reasons. Seems like he's saying he sees no cause to change his decision. That is, there's some factor we are not seeing, perhaps will never ever know.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Looks as if the US authorities may still be after the cheating scumbag despite Andre Birotte not regretting dropping thecase

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/report-armstrong-subject-of-criminal-investigation

Hope springs eternal

It could get worse (or better?), it seems - apparently Armstrong is being investigated with a view to criminal charges of witness tampering, intimidation and fraud.

Write out 100 times - I must read previous posts....:smile:

Top Bottom