FNRttC The (not the) Fridays Tour of the Low Countries 2015

Which of these week-long tours would you sign up for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
I'll PM you Helen's e-mail address rvw but we're off on holiday (yes, again ....) tomorrow for a 2 and a bit weeks so don't expect a quick reply.
I'll ask her if she can make my belly look smaller as well.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Thank you everyone for your postcard, which arrived a couple of days ago. I know I'll see some of you tomorrow, and you can tell me how badly behaved @rvw was. But in the meantime, thank you for returning her to me safe and sound, and second fastest woman.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Certainly, on a tag team basis, drank less beer than the other member did on the May edition.
Very badly behaved, then. She's joining us for a light breakfast of muesli and soya milk, incidentally, before driving me back home on Saturday.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Your Northern correspondent and newly appointed Cultural Ambassador here.
Apropos of nothing really, Helen and I are back in France (Reims since you ask) and we've managed to find a bottle of Brice Champagne so we bought it to try later. I'm expecting it to be rather full bodied with bubbles that rise slowly and a cheeky character. Equally, it could be rubbish.
We're currently drinking another Champagne from a small producer chosen, almost at random, from one of the many off licences here. They're not big on cheap lager or mega-strength cider (they call it cidre apparently) in their offies, but there is a wide choice of regional fizzy wine. Which is nice although I'm not sure that it'd work in the UK.The current bottle is too warm ('cos I don't have the brass neck to ask for a bucket of ice from the hotel reception) but it's almost got the buttery taste that I've been seeking for some time. It seems an appropriate drink as we sit down to watch France v. Italy in the Rugby World Cup.
We'll report back on 't Brice.
As Ambassador, I hope that I'm not really spoiling you

In other news, Reims drew 1-1 with PSG. The stadium is opposite our hotel and we got involved in the football traffic on the way here.

ETA: if you need to get in touch with me this week, use e-mail and don't try my mobile. There was an unfortunate 'phone/River Thames interface yesterday evening and I shan't be able to get a replacement 'til we return to Blighty. The "incident" was in no way drink related.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Apropos of nothing.......

As a rest from sitting down for a week onna bike, and doing what @Gordon P told me to do, I'm in Avignon, in a top-floor flat that has only 61 steps between me and the street. Or, to put it another way, 61 steps keeping Johnnie Foreigner at bay. There is a roof terrace here, which is a bit posh. But nice.
No champers, but a slightly spiffing lunch inc a pastis, which can be a bit, well, falling-over ish after a while. There is some sort of Pope's Palace building, to which @ianmac62 might refer as "a museum of aetheism" and I suppose I'll wander round it sometime, cos it's A Thing.
The medal for Everyone's Favourite German will be put round his neck this week. A conversation may follow that may include a bit of planning for next year, then some sort of thinking.
Carry on.

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
I met up with @redfalo this evening & was pleased to bestow on him his medal for being Our Favourite German.
DSCN1874[1].JPG

He was more alert than on Day 1 of the Tour....
DSCN1860[1].JPG

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I got my leave form today, has to be in October 5. I appreciate any plans for 2016 are some time away from even the embryonic stage, but a rough idea of when tour(s) might be would at least give me half a chance of being able to attend. Trying to move it around afterward might not be possible, depending on when it is (the perils of a large workplace).

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
I got my leave form today, has to be in October 5. I appreciate any plans for 2016 are some time away from even the embryonic stage, but a rough idea of when tour(s) might be would at least give me half a chance of being able to attend. Trying to move it around afterward might not be possible, depending on when it is (the perils of a large workplace).
Gosh @StuAff that is a tough one.
I met with @redfalo this evening & have had some chats with @mmmmartin but as you say not even at the embryonic stage. we have some thoughts about destinations but too early to reveal & haven't begun to think about When...
it might be May if we go to northern Europe or September if further south.
I really don't know what to say except that it is an impossibly tough situation you find yourself in.... Maybe someone else can be more constructive than me?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Gosh @StuAff that is a tough one.
I met with @redfalo this evening & have had some chats with @mmmmartin but as you say not even at the embryonic stage. we have some thoughts about destinations but too early to reveal & haven't begun to think about When...
it might be May if we go to northern Europe or September if further south.
I really don't know what to say except that it is an impossibly tough situation you find yourself in.... Maybe someone else can be more constructive than me?
May and September will probably have to do. I'll guestimate it at about the same time as this year's. If I don't get the leave choice in in time, I go to the bottom of the pile & it all gets allocated. Whereas, on account of seniority, I have a much better chance of getting the required weeks if I pick them.

Top Bottom