The "oh what a Wally I am" thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
not me , but my daughter, put my grandaughters chain back on, left her finger in the way traping it, the tooth on the chainring went through the finger tip and through the nail,she couldent free it and had to send grandaughter to get help,i cant say how much this hurt me and i am 150 miles away.

Charlote

not me , but my daughter, put my grandaughters chain back on, left her finger in the way traping it, the tooth on the chainring went through the finger tip and through the nail,she couldent free it and had to send grandaughter to get help,i cant say how much this hurt me and i am 150 miles away.

Ouch!! :eek:

Cubist

Still wavin'
My lad was building his first bike under my tutelage and I watched him put the non-drive side crank on the same way as the drive side. I blurted it out, but on reflection it would have been far funnier to watch him take it for its test ride. I was still ribbing him about it until I screwed the right hand pedal on from the left hand side of the bike with the pedal facing inwards. :blush:

That sounds horrible, if i was slightly more sadistic i would post up a photo of something similar i did to my finger and nail not long ago. I hope your daughter doesn't have to go and have done what they did to me. Best wishes.

Entering the busiest roundabout in my area I got into the saddle from a standstill and managed to hook the rear of my rather baggy jersey onto the nose of the saddle.

This was not just a simple snag but a full-on, forcible pull which resulted in me being throttled at the front as the neck was pulled rearwards.

No matter how hard I struggled would anything come free and I couldn't even sit down due to the tension. All this against a background of an extremely busy roundabout and me trying to turn right.:eek:

Finally I woke up to the fact that if I unzipped the jersey at the front I would be able to breathe again, not immediately realizing that after doing so and sitting down the rear of my jersey would try to join the part of the jersey still trapped on the saddle I was now sitting on. And a very fetching plunging rear neckline it was too.:blush:

I stopped shortly afterwards to get dressed again and consoled myself with the thought that whilst I must have looked a complete wally, at least I had managed to do all the required hand signals in my manoeuvres.^_^

DW1

Just time to go for a quick evening bike ride, 15 miles. Can't find my pump, still chances of a puncture slim. Puncture at almost exactly the half way point. And for good measure no mobile phone. Still it was a warm night as I walked the bike back to the house about midnight !

Entering the busiest roundabout in my area I got into the saddle from a standstill and managed to hook the rear of my rather baggy jersey onto the nose of the saddle.

This was not just a simple snag but a full-on, forcible pull which resulted in me being throttled at the front as the neck was pulled rearwards.

No matter how hard I struggled would anything come free and I couldn't even sit down due to the tension. All this against a background of an extremely busy roundabout and me trying to turn right.:eek:

Finally I woke up to the fact that if I unzipped the jersey at the front I would be able to breathe again, not immediately realizing that after doing so and sitting down the rear of my jersey would try to join the part of the jersey still trapped on the saddle I was now sitting on. And a very fetching plunging rear neckline it was too.:blush:

I stopped shortly afterwards to get dressed again and consoled myself with the thought that whilst I must have looked a complete wally, at least I had managed to do all the required hand signals in my manoeuvres.^_^
:rofl:
Practically crying with laughter. Thank you:smile:

KneesUp

Guru
Two front-brake related bits of advice

1) If your friend has a bike which, for reasons unknown, has brakes connected back to front, do not forget this when playing 'who can ride around the block fastest and do the biggest skid' I would imagine that if you did, you'd go sailing over the handlebars, which would hurt almost as much as if your friend's bike then hit you on the back of the head.

2) If you have rubbish Weinman brakes on your first road bike that never seem to centre properly, don't just slacken off the nut that holds them to the forks. If you do that, what may happen is that you may notice the nut drop off as you ride and you might then be tempted to brake to collect it. At that point, you might find that the front calliper will grip the wheel and pull straight off. It could then rotate with the wheel briefly until the slack has been taken out of the cable and then pull the handlebars violently to one side causing you - yet again - to go over the bars and lie in the gutter as you watch your bike computer skip across the road like a stone on water before being run over by a Nissan Cherry.

I'm happy to report that my cycling has never been blighted by such incidents.

Top Bottom