The old ‘weight’ chestnut!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Juliansou

Hi all,
I know it’s the inevitable question to ask, and no doubt gets asked a lot when anyone sees a loaded bike but ………… I’m genuinely interested. Being fairly new to the whole bikepacking/touring (I have a bit of a hybrid set up) I’m interested in what your ’rig’ weighs. Loads of variables I know, but, I’m away for a couple of nights completely self sufficient camping tomorrow and being a bit nerdy, I’ve just weighed my bike. ‘Naked’ bike is just over 10kg and fully loaded with food & water etc is 23kg which I thought was pretty reasonable?
I know it weighs what it weighs etc etc but I’ve shown you mine, how about you show me yours😀

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My audax bike for anything above 200km weighs 18kg fully loaded:

DSCF5549.JPG

This is what I used for Saturday's Llanfair 400 audax.

Hi all,
I know it’s the inevitable question to ask, and no doubt gets asked a lot when anyone sees a loaded bike but ………… I’m genuinely interested. Being fairly new to the whole bikepacking/touring (I have a bit of a hybrid set up) I’m interested in what your ’rig’ weighs. Loads of variables I know, but, I’m away for a couple of nights completely self sufficient camping tomorrow and being a bit nerdy, I’ve just weighed my bike. ‘Naked’ bike is just over 10kg and fully loaded with food & water etc is 23kg which I thought was pretty reasonable?
I know it weighs what it weighs etc etc but I’ve shown you mine, how about you show me yours😀

Great question but before I go on a question for you.
What does it matter to you how much weight I carry?

Here's the thing with a question like yours - it depends.....
It depends on where you're going, how long for, how far you're going, camping or hotels, your tolerance for discomfort, your budget and lots of other factors even down to security and if you're travelling on your own with a partner or a group.
But most of all.it depends on what you want to get out of your tour. And what you want may bear no relation to what I want.

To answer your question my bike, naked, weighs about the same as your setup for a couple of nights.

I'm carrying +/- 40kgs on that bike and then there's me ;-)

Before you go WTF and write me off as a loon I should say that I've been on the road for more than 2.5 years and had a fair bit of weather to take into account. Also, I pack for me and what I enjoy. I have a chair (I'm sitting in it now, a full Trangia setup (it made my dinner) and a tent that weighs in at over 5kg because I needed something strong - as it turns out I needed something cat and ant repellent.
I don't wear "cycling clothing" but love getting into my off bike gear.
I carry food and try to carry lots of water so that if I need to or want to I can set up camp where I like or need to.
If I met you on the side of the road while I brewed some coffee I'd have enough for you and an extra cup for you to drink. My latest addition is a wineskin that carries a litre of vino tinto. Totally ridiculous..... But wonderful.
Comfort, not speed, is my motto.

I did short trips like yours and usually carried the same load. I called it practice for the big one.

It's objectively true that less weight means more distance at greater speed.
It's also objectively true that a motorbike or a car would be faster.^_^
A number that represents weight is just that - a number. As is speed. As is distance.
I don't much care for numbers. I'm interested in the subjective - what did I experience and how did I feel?

If you want a better idea of what people tour on then have a look at CGOAB. This is a page with all different types of bikes and loads
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3dU&doc_id=8000&v=4pM

The mighty Roccado
R0011763.JPG

All uphill

Still rolling along
I recently did an eight day tour with a friend, using cafes, supermarket shopping and bed and breakfasts - no cooking, tent or bedding.

My bike weighs about 13kg, clothing, tools (lots of tools, all unused) and water were about another 10kg, then about 75kg of me.

In my practice rides I found that wind direction made far more difference to my steady speed than weight - a moderate headwind knocked 3-4 mph off daily averages, so I chose baggage that would (I hoped) be less draggy than panniers.

The bike rode beautifully- I forgot about it for long stretches of time.

Next time I hope to save a couple of kgs from the baggage, perhaps a couple from me and aim for a lower daily mileage so I can take more photos and take more time to enjoy the wildlife, scenery and people I meet.

Enjoy your trip!

20220524_170142.jpg

freiston

Veteran
I did a couple of nights down the road on a campsite last week. My bike weighs about 15kg, my luggage including bags and water weighed in at about 26kg. I'm 78kg on top of all that. If I had gone for a month, my luggage wouldn't have been much different (maybe a bigger bag of porridge oats 😉). I like to keep my options open so take a "camp kitchen" capable of prepping and cooking a meal from scratch, I take a small pair of binoculars, a small bridge camera and a coffee pot. I take a lightweight folding stool too - I need it to operate my stove without getting a killing backache (I also use it when putting on or taking off my boots). My toolkit is overkill and weighs in at about 2.85 kg but that includes the 3L saddlebag, two spare tubes and a bike lock. I very much follow @HobbesOnTour 's sentiment on this although my jaunts are a spit in the ocean compared to his.

I do fancy doing something more lightweight and have a tent on order about a couple of kilos lighter than my current one all in (poles, pegs, groundsheet etc.). I also have an army surplus bivvy bag that I want to give a go. I'm getting the gear, I just need to get the right frame of mind now - but as things are, I'm very much into campsites, options for cooking and paraphernalia that makes it a holiday - I certainly don't try to cover great distances but enjoy a leisurely tootle around the country lanes.

I didn't take a picture of my bike loaded up when out on the road but I did take one in the kitchen before leaving the house:
bike.jpeg

presta

Guru
On my last tour in 2011 my all-up weight was 106.7kg, comprising:
me naked 69.8kg,
everything else 36.9kg.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
That is positively Svelte! I’m assuming that’s just ’supplies’ for the long haul rather than camping equipment etc etc?
Yes. I've got an emergency blanket in there, plus a bivvy bag goes in for multi-day events just in case. There's been quite a bit of equipment-sorting since LEL/PBP to streamline and/or lighten what's being carried. I don't camp.
Must be time for the LEL frame card to come off.
It's now off, but in the bag :okay:

Top Bottom