The old car thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pclay

Veteran
Tomorrow is mot day for the 2002 Focus. It seems to be going crackers this past week. We've got:-

Air con given up.
Drivers window stuck.
Radio not picking up MW/LW.
Water ingress when using rear window washer.
Boot unlocking switch on dash given up.
2 headlight bulbs out.
2 tyres losing air.

my boot unlock switch on the dash doesn't work either. There is a bit of damage (fraying) to the wiring loom where the boot opens. Just use the key instead....

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tisk, tisk.... all should be working, for a cherished old car.

Hicky

Guru
D5 will live forever. The only thing that will kill one is (typically) an aux belt tensioner going bad, the belt snapping and ending up'interfacing' with the timing belt, with terminal consequences. Don't change the water pump unless it's with a genuine Volvo item as aftermarket ones don't last.

Tough on suspension components, like all Volvos.

It's not by accident the we run 2 Euro 3 D5s, same year, one in S60 flavour, one XC70. Third of a million between them.

I’m on 183k, I bought it at 171k off eBay on a whim for just over 1K with 12 month MOT fsh, plus free dings and scrapes as I needed a bigger diesel car.
It needs the full treatment as above belt wise.
Ms has a Xtrail and used mine for any distance drives as it’s awesome for fuel on the motorway.....Rochdale to Loch Lomond computer 58mpg calculated 49mpg at speed limits. I purposely went for a Euro3 to avoid a dpf. With hindsight I’d of spent some more money and got a blue Ocean Race.

cambiker71

My 1998 Legacy estate, great for collecting bikes, parts, broken down family bikes, holidays across the country and it just works! Best £100 I've spent!

DSC-3525.jpg

legacy-bike-rack.jpg

DSC-4638.jpg

MarkF

Guru
That Subaru looks ace:okay:

The Focus failed it's MOT, first time since I've owned it.

Headlight obviously misaligned. (That'll he me then)
OS stoplight out. (Bollox as l checked every light).
Bit of welding in one rear arch.

Garage say's it's well worth doing but l will have a think about it. The mot may cost £200 but l can get that scrapping it and l want a Jimny. We'll see......

pclay

Veteran
That Subaru looks ace:okay:

The Focus failed it's MOT, first time since I've owned it.

Headlight obviously misaligned. (That'll he me then)
OS stoplight out. (Bollox as l checked every light).
Bit of welding in one rear arch.

Garage say's it's well worth doing but l will have a think about it. The mot may cost £200 but l can get that scrapping it and l want a Jimny. We'll see......

I always budget for £200 per year for getting through the MOT. £200 is cheaper than getting another car.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I used to have a 2003 Citroen C3 1.4 HDi 8v.

Did 165,000+ miles in it over ten years and regular wearables and service items aside it only had an air con pipe and the injectors cleaning in all that time. It still had the original battery and clutch when I finally chopped it in. The average fuel consumption never dropped below 60mpg and it would do well over 70mpg on a run. It never used a drop of oil and it had free VED too.

It's still showing as being on the road now, with over 185k on the clock at the last MOT.

cambiker71

£100 for a family sized Scooby that has plenty of life left in it? Gotta be a bargain.

PS, who's metro is that?
The metro is also mine, a fast appreciating classic :biggrin:
The legacy has been great, it helps that I'm a Subaru garage foreman, although it's been completely reliable, drove nearly 1000 miles on a recent family holiday with zero issues not bad for a 20 year old car! This is my second one, the previous one is still going somewhere, but wasn't in as good condition as this one, I only have this one because a great customer sold it to me for such a small amount of money when they bought a new one!

We have a Fiat Panda 2005

Only has 88,000 on the clock (only 60,000 when we acquired it 5 years ago)

No guts but a lovely car

MOT on Friday

x-fingers....

Dad has a 2008 panda, its showing 35000 on the clock, but I'm thinking this is it's second time round!

The lights on the dash occasionally come on when starting it to show that they work, they go off within the first mile.

the gearbox gaiter trim is in tatters, none of the lights on the knobs and switches light up (the speedo does) when the lights are on.

outside the fuel filler flap fell off one day many years ago.

personally I hate the thing, the rear view mirror blocks my vision on left hand bends and I can never quite get comfortable, but I am quite impressed with it! Dad is expecting it to fall apart on the driveway one day, but until then...

Closer to home, the wife has a car, I'm on two wheels.

I bought a 1999 registered Kawasaki ZZR600 with 23000 miles on it in 2013, sold it with 60000 on in 2017 as there was a gearbox issue I didn't have time or money to fix, bought for £1200

Replaced with (for the princely sum of £1500) a 2001 reg Honda CB600FS (Hornet) with 25k on it, will keep it until I can't fix it and it drops apart, at which point I'll go shopping for something else for about the same amount of money :biggrin:

Top Bottom