The old car thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Rally Green is a bit lairy.

Yeah, well it looks right on the rally cars. On a road car, not so much...

You can get away with a lot of eyewatering colours on competition cars. A friend of mine used to drive a bright pink race car. :wacko:

A Monte Carlo would fit my requirements. Hopefully I'll be able to get a bike on the back seat if I remove the front wheel - like I can in the series 1 fabia...

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
My 14 year old Honda CRV sailed through its MOT today. No advisories.
Only 106K on the clock - so should be good for a few more years. :okay:

Screenshot_20190103-171740.png

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Engines were either changed or just the bottom end replaced under warranty so they should be sorted but it was a disappointment after the success of the Mk-1 vRS which is still an amazing car. Rally Green is a bit lairy. The Monte Carlo on the other hand is a gem, my friend loves his

My son loves his v3 Monte Carlo - get the 109bhp - fairly nippy

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Mrs D had one of those. It was a very nice machine. Is yours the Sport trim level?
2.2 ltr diesel in Sports trim.
When I was looking for a CRV, at the start of this year, I had the following criteria.
  • Mk 2 body shape (we preferred this one)
  • Diesel
  • Sport (cloth) trim
  • Not more than 100k miles
  • Full service history
  • Good MOT history
  • Not been used for towing
  • Silver or graphite paint
  • Reasonably local
As you can imagine, fulfilling all those goals on a car that was made between 05 to 56 plates was fairly difficult.
I eventually dropped on a 55 plate model in Gloucester that hit all the marks - but had to pay a bit over what I had originally budgeted. There ain't many around that tick all the boxes!
I must say though, I'm very pleased with it. It's nice to drive, comfortable, roomy, economical for it's size and very practical. The AWD system works well, it tows well and is ideal around our Devon lanes. What more can I say? :smile:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Just reflecting on how an older car that passes its MOT always 'sails through'. Ours do too :laugh:
It was the first time I'd put the CRV through and there's always a nagging doubt with a car that you haven't owned for a long time. So, yes, it sailed through as far as I was concerned.;)

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
2.2 ltr diesel in Sports trim.
When I was looking for a CRV, at the start of this year, I had the following criteria.
  • Mk 2 body shape (we preferred this one)
  • Diesel
  • Sport (cloth) trim
  • Not more than 100k miles
  • Full service history
  • Good MOT history
  • Not been used for towing
  • Silver or graphite paint
  • Reasonably local
As you can imagine, fulfilling all those goals on a car that was made between 05 to 56 plates was fairly difficult.
I eventually dropped on a 55 plate model in Gloucester that hit all the marks - but had to pay a bit over what I had originally budgeted. There ain't many around that tick all the boxes!
I must say though, I'm very pleased with it. It's nice to drive, comfortable, roomy, economical for it's size and very practical. The AWD system works well, it tows well and is ideal around our Devon lanes. What more can I say? :smile:

Much the same as Mrs D's old one, except hers had half leather. The AWD is quite poor in the snow compared to her previous Outlander, but that aside the CRV was light years ahead. I recall driving it home from Kent and managing into the 70's MPG.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Much the same as Mrs D's old one, except hers had half leather. The AWD is quite poor in the snow compared to her previous Outlander, but that aside the CRV was light years ahead. I recall driving it home from Kent and managing into the 70's MPG.
I only needed the AWD in case I have to tow a 1200kg van on/off a wet grassy field. My Peugeot wouldn't even look at that scenario if there was the slightest slope. The CRV does the job perfectly.
My wife's old Diahatsu Terios was phenomenal on slippery surfaces - but that was proper 4wd with a diff lock.

Hicky

Guru
I had a MK1 VRs it was an awesome car. There are two faults with it though.
No towing weight on the V5 so they won’t insure you for towing and the interior is part white cloth which suffered with two young kids. If it wasn’t for the need for more room for camping kit I’d still have it. Bought newly new with 7000 miles on it and sold with 98k on it, all it cost me was pads n discs, rear bushes and timing belt. Cracking machine, the Ml2 should of had the 150bhp Diesel engine as an upgrade not petrol.

Top Bottom