The old car thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pclay

Veteran
I bought a 1999 registered Kawasaki ZZR600 with 23000 miles on it in 2013, sold it with 60000 on in 2017 as there was a gearbox issue I didn't have time or money to fix, bought for £1200

Replaced with (for the princely sum of £1500) a 2001 reg Honda CB600FS (Hornet) with 25k on it, will keep it until I can't fix it and it drops apart, at which point I'll go shopping for something else for about the same amount of money :biggrin:

I have a 2010 Yamaha XJ6. It doesn't get used as much as the old focus, but gets looked after and loved more than the car.

MarkF

Guru
Dad has a 2008 panda, its showing 35000 on the clock, but I'm thinking this is it's second time round!

The lights on the dash occasionally come on when starting it to show that they work, they go off within the first mile.

the gearbox gaiter trim is in tatters, none of the lights on the knobs and switches light up (the speedo does) when the lights are on.

outside the fuel filler flap fell off one day many years ago.

personally I hate the thing, the rear view mirror blocks my vision on left hand bends and I can never quite get comfortable, but I am quite impressed with it! Dad is expecting it to fall apart on the driveway one day, but until then...

Closer to home, the wife has a car, I'm on two wheels.

I bought a 1999 registered Kawasaki ZZR600 with 23000 miles on it in 2013, sold it with 60000 on in 2017 as there was a gearbox issue I didn't have time or money to fix, bought for £1200

Replaced with (for the princely sum of £1500) a 2001 reg Honda CB600FS (Hornet) with 25k on it, will keep it until I can't fix it and it drops apart, at which point I'll go shopping for something else for about the same amount of money :biggrin:

Late 90's early 2000's Japanese 600's are incredible bargains!

I paid for the MOT, + window repaired + rear window fluid pipe repair + boot release cable repair + welding. Cost was £241. Now l have time to think about it's replacement, l was sure l wanted a Jimmy last week, now l don't want one..

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I still have my 1991 FZR600, although its off the road this year for a head rebuild. I'm using the 1991 Mad Max instead, and once the Fizzer is complete again then the Max is coming off the road forma full rebuild. Powder coat, new paint, the works.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Late 90's early 2000's Japanese 600's are incredible bargains!

I paid for the MOT, + window repaired + rear window fluid pipe repair + boot release cable repair + welding. Cost was £241. Now l have time to think about it's replacement, l was sure l wanted a Jimmy last week, now l don't want one..
I was looking for a Jimny last year. Shelved that idea when I discovered how overpriced they are.
Ended up with a 2005 Volvo XC70. Bonus being that it’s a great towcar for the caravan.

tyred

Legendary Member
My Mum has a '99 turbodiesel Astra which was in unusually good condition for the year despite high mileage and was spotless inside and out. I never liked it as car to drive but there is no doubt it was a quality and durable product which never gave any trouble.

But sadly the Astra is no more and this faithful servant met an untimely demise a few days ago. My Mum has gone away for a few days and my uncle had agreed to take it to the test centre in her absence as it was due test and en-route, he met a Clio on the wrong side of the road on a corner and has ended up with a broken nose, a few broken ribs and a broken collar bone and the Astra has gone to the great scrap yard in the sky. The driver of the Clio was injured too, she was a Portuguese student on holidays and driving a hire car.

We now need to break the news to Mum that her pride and joy is shorter than it used to be...

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
F4EE34AD-1165-4823-A1EA-EDA5B1C371D4.jpeg
0DA9C752-638D-4D6E-B02E-438A46626F81.jpeg
6F34E0C7-B4B4-4684-953C-181FD6DE3719.jpeg
How did I miss this thread ???? Love my old cars just because they are cheap ( although mine are actually going up in value ! ) reliable, very practical and if I do need to fix it then I can with little cost and only a few tools.
My latest Skoda ( I have had many) and my most modern is my lovely 1994 Skoda Favorit Estate LXiE poverty spec with just over 61k miles on the clock. She’s not perfect but does exactly what it says on the tin and can either lug me and kids about of more importantly fit the bike inside along with camping gear if I’m on a long distance Audax. Best £500 I have spent !

tyred

Legendary Member
View attachment 478827 View attachment 478828 View attachment 478829 How did I miss this thread ???? Love my old cars just because they are cheap ( although mine are actually going up in value ! ) reliable, very practical and if I do need to fix it then I can with little cost and only a few tools.
My latest Skoda ( I have had many) and my most modern is my lovely 1994 Skoda Favorit Estate LXiE poverty spec with just over 61k miles on the clock. She’s not perfect but does exactly what it says on the tin and can either lug me and kids about of more importantly fit the bike inside along with camping gear if I’m on a long distance Audax. Best £500 I have spent !

A proper Skoda, from before Volkswagen took away the character:okay:

View attachment 478827 View attachment 478828 View attachment 478829 How did I miss this thread ???? Love my old cars just because they are cheap ( although mine are actually going up in value ! ) reliable, very practical and if I do need to fix it then I can with little cost and only a few tools.

I had a black hatchback one of these, albeit the top of the range. Really nice to drive, although the lack of PAS let it down when it came to urban driving. I used it for a few years after dad stopped driving (or rather, mum and I stopped him from driving) until mechanical gremlins, tinworm and dad's lack of sympathy for machinery caught up with it.

Replaced it with a low mileage Felicia 1.6 GLXi, which again, was a lovely car to drive, and ran that until a year and a half ago when age caught up with it somewhat. And the poor roads out here.

Now currently sharing my mum's 52 plate Fabia estate, and am on the lookout for a series 3 Fabia for myself - the upcoming expansion of the ULEZ zone in London necessitates it.

Ordinarily I'd take a late series 2 Fabia quite happily, but the thick c-pillars don't mix well with my being somewhat undertall. I've got almost no rear visibility, which isn't such a good thing.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I had a black hatchback one of these, albeit the top of the range. Really nice to drive, although the lack of PAS let it down when it came to urban driving. I used it for a few years after dad stopped driving (or rather, mum and I stopped him from driving) until mechanical gremlins, tinworm and dad's lack of sympathy for machinery caught up with it.

Replaced it with a low mileage Felicia 1.6 GLXi, which again, was a lovely car to drive, and ran that until a year and a half ago when age caught up with it somewhat. And the poor roads out here.

Now currently sharing my mum's 52 plate Fabia estate, and am on the lookout for a series 3 Fabia for myself - the upcoming expansion of the ULEZ zone in London necessitates it.

Ordinarily I'd take a late series 2 Fabia quite happily, but the thick c-pillars don't mix well with my being somewhat undertall. I've got almost no rear visibility, which isn't such a good thing.
Lack of power steering has never bothered me with the Favorit and that’s with mine running wider, lower profile tyres and lowered springs ( again something I’ve always done with my Skoda’s)
Yours may have been a Blackline which are very rare now.
I was working for Skoda when the Fabia was launched and to be honest it was an exciting time for the brand which has just carried on getting better. Cracking cars

Lack of power steering has never bothered me with the Favorit and that’s with mine running wider, lower profile tyres and lowered springs ( again something I’ve always done with my Skoda’s)
Yours may have been a Blackline which are very rare now.
I was working for Skoda when the Fabia was launched and to be honest it was an exciting time for the brand which has just carried on getting better. Cracking cars

Yes, it was a Blackline. :smile:

Most of my driving isn't urban, so I guess I noticed the lack of PAS at low speed more than if it was something I was doing on a regular basis. For A road and motorway driving, the steering was just right.

Skodas are great cars IMHO - they stack up really well to what else is out there, and it still surprises me how underrated they are. What I loved about my Felicia was the engine and the handling - it made a rather unassuming hatch go like stink much to the consternation of people in much fancier machinery. :biggrin:

I had the opportunity to buy a series 2 Fabia vRS last year - I kinda regret having to pass it up, but it was the old "I can't see out of the back" lark. :sad: On the other hand, the series 3 Monte Carlo... :wub:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Yes, it was a Blackline. :smile:

Most of my driving isn't urban, so I guess I noticed the lack of PAS at low speed more than if it was something I was doing on a regular basis. For A road and motorway driving, the steering was just right.

Skodas are great cars IMHO - they stack up really well to what else is out there, and it still surprises me how underrated they are. What I loved about my Felicia was the engine and the handling - it made a rather unassuming hatch go like stink much to the consternation of people in much fancier machinery. :biggrin:

I had the opportunity to buy a series 2 Fabia vRS last year - I kinda regret having to pass it up, but it was the old "I can't see out of the back" lark. :sad: On the other hand, the series 3 Monte Carlo... :wub:
Out of the new Fabia both Mk-2 and 3 Monte Carlo’ s would be my choice. The Mk-2 vRS had a lot of issues with the engine unlike the original Mk-1 which went so well and was bullet proof

Out of the new Fabia both Mk-2 and 3 Monte Carlo’ s would be my choice. The Mk-2 vRS had a lot of issues with the engine unlike the original Mk-1 which went so well and was bullet proof

Mmmmm, well that takes the edge off the "aaaargh" regarding the series 2 vRS. Might have dodged a bullet there. :blush: Also, that eye-watering shade of green... :wacko:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Mmmmm, well that takes the edge off the "aaaargh" regarding the series 2 vRS. Might have dodged a bullet there. :blush: Also, that eye-watering shade of green... :wacko:
Engines were either changed or just the bottom end replaced under warranty so they should be sorted but it was a disappointment after the success of the Mk-1 vRS which is still an amazing car. Rally Green is a bit lairy. The Monte Carlo on the other hand is a gem, my friend loves his

Top Bottom