The old car thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
I had loads of new cars when I was a driving instructor, but now I aim for sub 1k motors and run them till they no longer run.

Understood, in my first proper job, l got to choose a new car every 3 years. By 25 a "new" car meant nothing to me, so it pains me to spend cash on a regular runabout.

I think l read that the UK is the cheapest place to buy a used car, for £1k l'd expect a car to give me at least 5 years on just basic servicing.

Cash is for spending on nice things, like beer, bicycles, guns, cake, not for frittering away on 4 wheels appliances.

It seems that those on thjs thread understand that, and are turning elderly motoring into an art form.

Umm, and motor racing memorabilia, camera bits, cat shows, art and sewing supplies... And books... Lots of books... :biggrin:

Don't get me wrong, I'm a real petrolhead and really enjoy performance cars and driving, but I understand that what I like and what is practical isn't the same thing. :blush: (I won't get a bike into a Porsche GT3...) We can still dream, though, can't we? ;)

Umm, and motor racing memorabilia, camera bits, cat shows, art and sewing supplies... And books... Lots of books... :biggrin:

Don't get me wrong, I'm a real petrolhead and really enjoy performance cars and driving, but I understand that what I like and what is practical isn't the same thing. :blush: (I won't get a bike into a Porsche GT3...) We can still dream, though, can't we? ;)
Thr reason I like my old bus us although it's a boring diesel estate car, it has 204bhp and much more torque even than a chipped Impreza!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Clean and sparkling

20190724_162208.jpg

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Brilliant. Makes leaks easy to spot, and you don't get covered in manure when working on the engine.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Our Fiat Panda had collapsing wheels. After several fast runs to Aberdeen and back, about 400 miles got a flat tyre. Garage found the wheel had gone porous so would not hold air. A week later same thing on different wheel then another a few weeks later. Frightening considering I had been bombing up and down what is a motorway in all but name. Since I had been considering something bigger anyway it was very promptly got rid to a dealer with the invoices for the new wheels so no cover up on my part.

KneesUp

Guru
Our Fiat Panda had collapsing wheels. After several fast runs to Aberdeen and back, about 400 miles got a flat tyre. Garage found the wheel had gone porous so would not hold air. A week later same thing on different wheel then another a few weeks later. Frightening considering I had been bombing up and down what is a motorway in all but name. Since I had been considering something bigger anyway it was very promptly got rid to a dealer with the invoices for the new wheels so no cover up on my part.
The “sporty” Allegro had porous wheels too.

Kajjal

Guru
If you are looking for a challenge get a Peugeot 309 with the smallest Diesel engine and no power steering. It is the worst car I have ever driven even when new. Pulling away at the lights it just sits there going nowhere taunting you. Then if you decide to turn any real kind corner it takes Herculean strength to move the steering wheel. When in the aliens film they mention it is a dry heat they meant this car in summer, inside it is like a furnace. On the upside you can play your mix tapes in it and there is plenty of space on the parcel shelf for a tartan rug and Tupperware boxes.

tyred

Legendary Member
Actually I would quite like a 309, or a 305 (van or estate) and I've driven them in diesel and without power steering back in the day and never seen anything wrong with them. Peugeots of that era had great steering with good feel and weight.

Top Bottom