The old car thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Own an old car? Are you skint, tight, do cars not turn you on, or are you simply taking a stand against the ridiculous levels of pollution that needlessly churning out new cars creates?

Then this is the thread for you. Tell us what you drive, what you've been doing to keep it going.

Well, it's no secret kve an elderly (November 2004 registered) but very low mileage (40,000) Smart fortwo cabriolet. It's the Mk7 version, with a mighty 698cc of turbocharged mildness.

But it's in first class condition, runs like a dream, and sips fuel.

Today's spanner action was simple enough, 2 x 10mm nuts. The drivers rear lamp has always sat fractionally wonky. Closer examination shows that some ham fisted buffoon has changed a bulb at some time in its life and broken off the 2 x outside locating tabs. This appears to be quite common, as all the used ones I've seen on Ebay have been the same.

New ones are £90, but after a year of patience I found an undamaged used replacement for a piffling £30, including delivery. Today it arrived, I gave it a quick wipe and 5 minutes later it was fitted, and looks rather natty. Parts recycled, planet saved, smug feeling intact.

So what old bus do you drive, and what have you done to it today?

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bought my 2002 Nissan Primera in early 2003, 10 months old. It was a press demonstraitor as it was registered 2 months before the cars were released on the market.

Despite the cream interior, it's survived 2 children, carries 4 bikes up top and has been incredibly reliable. Only spendy jobs were a new air con radiator (holed) and a new air con pipe (alloy pipe cracked after 14 years), and a new cat at 10 years old. All around £400 jobs.

Few electrical issues due to age, cured by contact cleaner sprayed on things like the air bag connectors - sorted it. Rust free, other than an under bonnet support for the radiators that is an issue with Nissan's of that age - the only part that didn't get properly treated. I just keep it under control with rust protector.

Cracking car, and still smellls like new. It just does it's job, and has lots of toys. A friend said recently that this car must have been like a 'spaceship' 17 years ago (she's known the car that long anyway, and my car still has more kit in it than her newish car).

The CC Wales MTB crew can vouch for it being tidy. Under the bonnet is clean also.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
2002 Corolla , 2.0l turbo diesel. 148,000m on the clock, got it with 10,000 at 18 months old. Gives between 52, 58mpg. As tight as the day I got it. Push the go pedal and it goes. Gets every bike in the bike (one at a time) with seats folded down. Only have to remove the rear wheel of the 650b 901.

Mechanically sound. New battery a couple of months ago. Other issues have been blocked fuel filter and a failed window regulator and a new starter motor. I'd be disappointed for less than another 5 years.
Always fully serviced.

Last edited:

Freds Dad

Veteran
I have a 2003 Honda CR-V which is coming up to 170,000 miles. Apart from services the only money spent on it are consumables like tyres, brake pads etc.
It starts first time every time and is used to carry bikes, do runs to the tip and take 2 adults, 2 kids and luggage to Cornwall and back without missing a beat.
It's probably worth next to bugger all but while it keeps going it will stay.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
2005 Honda CRV 2.2 diesel. Bought at the start of the year to tow a larger caravan. Pretty certain diesels won't be worth much in 5 years time, so I wasn't going to invest a lot of money in a newer vehicle.
Done 100k miles when I bought it. Now on 106k. Does the job, economical for what it is (50mpg steady driving, 42+ mpg overall, 30mpg towing), pleasant to drive and cheap to insure. Toying with keeping it for a few more years. They've got a pretty good reputation for reliability.
Screenshot_20190103-171740.png

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Mine's a Vauxhall Combo diesel van, 2008. I bought it for £2000 in 2014. It has never had a service or an oil change but it sails through the MOT each year. Three years ago the mile-ometer packed up. I don't care. In September 2021 all ancient diesels within the M25 will be rendered worthless by Sidiq Khan's pollution diktat. It's a shame that it will be going to the scrappy well before its time but, being a politician, he obviously knows best.

tyred

Legendary Member
1996 Peugeot 205, a basic 1100cc version. Bought 13 years ago with around 60,000 on the clock, now approaching 220,000. Surprisingly little has been replaced - clutch kit after the pressure plate broke at 103,000, the fuel pump seized at about 160,000 and the old Peugeot malady of knackered rear trailing arm bearings struck at about 170,000 (rear axle replaced with replacement from scrap yard) and I've recently replaced the universal joint in the steering column (and almost had to to learn the feel of the car again as the steering is suddenly super light compared to before. I think this part was well overdue!). Otherwise it's been usual things like brake pads, suspension bushes and other wear and tear parts. Engine doesn't use any oil, gearbox has poor synchromesh on second and third gears but I can drive without it (a lifetime's experience of old Massey Fergusons). Mine is towards the end of production and as such was kitted out with things like electric windows and central locking which most normal 205s never had. The central locking has always been temperamental in my ownership but I never bothered to fix it as I can lock all four door locks without stretching from the driver's seat. Otherwise, the electrics have been reliable.

I still love it, the ride quality is still a bit special for a short wheelbase car, I can coax over 60MPG out of it if I try and average over 50 easily with out trying, the balance of the chassis and positive steering mean it's fun to drive in the twisties while still doing sensible speeds and it's big enough for my needs and is very DIY friendly. It is is very cheap to keep on the road as I always work on it myself. The only rel downside is that it is too low geared for motorway driving so I just ignore motorways and find other roads as motorways are boring anyway. Sadly rust is starting to take a hold. I probably won't be able to keep it that much longer unless I buy a welder and get busy.
snow1.jpg

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member

1992 Eunos Jap import, straight through the MOT today, £54. No point in having money in the bank when you can have fun in an appreciating asset.

We have a 2002 Focus too, it won't die, it's MOT is due next month & l expect it'll pass.....again.

We spend a lot on holidays.:okay:
Looks like a Miyata to me. The car, not the bike.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
After our 20 year old Golf Estate blew its head gasket I spent £1290 on a Honda Jazz with 128,000 on the clock but reported as well-maintained. When I picked it up, the man said his wife worked at the local dealership, and all the mechanics had a soft spot for her. I rang my wife and said 'this drives like a hire car'.

Had it a year now. Needed a new exhaust, a refill for the air con, a new bulb for the left rear light. That's it. Went thru' the MOT without touching the sides.

Nothing squeaks, nothing rattles, no loose trim, nothing. The seats are like new, and very comfortable. The bodywork was immaculate...now slightly less so. Central 'bip' locking. Great sound system, including USB to plug in an MP3 player/phone. Takes two bikes in the back no problem...probably more - I've never needed to. I don't really have much of a benchmark for 'how it drives'; I've driven so few cars, basically no others for 20 years. But it's fine. Not quite the poke of the (2 litre) Golf, but doesn't feel at all underpowered. Everything feels precise. For an 11 year old car with well over 100k on the clock, it's bonkers. And it's ok for London's new ULEZ - which was after all one of the main reasons I bought it.

Isn't it nice when things just...work.

Top Bottom