The Olympic Games - another way ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
It crossed my mind the other day that in this world of instant satellite broadcasting that there may be no need for any country to build new facilities.
Local atheletic, swimming, cycling, horse, shooting, sailing clubs etc get roped in to hold individual events, filmed by local TV crews, pics uploaded, collated and distributed worldwide by the Beeb

Competitors get put up on the sofa or the spare room.
Posh ones might pay for a B&B
No central events, no sports village needed.
Timetable arranged to allow competitors to travel from event to event when required

Sports journos either travel or watch it on TV

Lots of manpower required to organise.

What does the team think ?
Also need a working title for 2020 (?)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I think the games should be held in one place (Greece?) every four years instead of building expensive white elephants (all right, calm down Arch) all over the planet.

ps. This is not an original idea of mine

Arch

Married to Night Train
rich p said:
I think the games should be held in one place (Greece?) every four years instead of building expensive white elephants (all right, calm down Arch) all over the planet.

;)

It's a good idea though. One summer location, one winter one. Make it somewhere with reliable snow in winter and sun in summer and you could just make it one place full stop.

OP
OP
S

sheddy

Legendary Member
asterix said:
A lot of people make loads of money building facilities. You wouldn't take that away from them would you?
That's fine so long as -
1. They buildings are used to their full potential after the games and
2. They don't get demolished too soon

Keith Oates

Janner
rich p said:

It certainly has merit rich p, and all of the participating countries could contibute to the building and upkeep of the place. However politicians wouldn't like it as they will have one thing less to bolster their popularity in bad times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
asterix said:
A lot of people make loads of money building facilities. You wouldn't take that away from them would you?
I put in a bid to hold the games in my back garden, but it got laughed out of the room. :evil:
Said I couldn't sort the stadium out in time... I was going to get a staple gun on the way home anyway, so what do they know?

When Juan Samaranch announced the venue for the 1994 winter olympics, he pronounced Lillehammer as Lilly Hammer!

So, Lilly Hammer did indeed have her own olympics! :evil:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9906E3D71F30F934A15752C0A962958260

Top Bottom